Is Nintendo still banning previously modded Switches?

ChambersNow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a couple switches that I wanted to give my kids and want to use them normally. I have a bunch of games bought and don't want to deal with modding anymore. However, they are currently modded using RCM... I haven't touched them in probably a year. Is Nintendo still banning these devices or can I update them to latest firmware and be safe? Thank you!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Modded devices can be worth something notable over and above what the baseline Switch goes for. Might be worth swapping them out with someone that wants something, even as a base unit (keep any joycons and dock but just the unit itself), and maybe getting a little something extra on top of that.

General policy is and has always been, probably always will be for any kind of vaguely non crack smoker produced security, if you hack then you lose online, anything you get is a bonus. However if you have the clean backup made before any mods were done and never took it online with them then you could restore that and be as safe as reasonable.
Obviously Nintendo's security is something of an unknown and it is not impossible that if you did not keep it offline that some flags were tripped and just waiting for you to join again/them to need a boost in sales. Likewise if you kept any save games that might be cheated or not readily done by normal play then yeah.

ChambersNow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modded devices can be worth something notable over and above what the baseline Switch goes for. Might be worth swapping them out with someone that wants something, even as a base unit (keep any joycons and dock but just the unit itself), and maybe getting a little something extra on top of that.

General policy is and has always been, probably always will be for any kind of vaguely non crack smoker produced security, if you hack then you lose online, anything you get is a bonus. However if you have the clean backup made before any mods were done and never took it online with them then you could restore that and be as safe as reasonable.
Obviously Nintendo's security is something of an unknown and it is not impossible that if you did not keep it offline that some flags were tripped and just waiting for you to join again/them to need a boost in sales. Likewise if you kept any save games that might be cheated or not readily done by normal play then yeah.
This is great feedback and advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond back and provide this insight. Going to check on what swapping would look like. Thank you

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
What exactly did you do on the modded consoles? If they have NSPs installed that's a 100% ban. If all you did was use themes and maybe some NRO format homebrew there's a good chance that Nintendo doesn't care. Lots of people use their hacked consoles online and only use CFW to launch emulators via the homebrew menu.

As FAST said though hackable consoles sell for more than the cost of a brand new Switch, so I would look in to selling them to someone.

Reactions: ChambersNow

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a couple switches that I wanted to give my kids and want to use them normally. I have a bunch of games bought and don't want to deal with modding anymore. However, they are currently modded using RCM... I haven't touched them in probably a year. Is Nintendo still banning these devices or can I update them to latest firmware and be safe? Thank you!
If you used an emuNAND then simply uninstall AutoRCM if you used it, wipe the SD (can back up the Nintendo folder so you don't need to redownload games) and the Switch is completely stock again. Just make sure you delete the emuNAND partition so it's not there taking up space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome