Is Nintendo "cool"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard
    OP

Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    As in the cool dad who buys you beer? What I mean is I had a modded Xbox back in the day, and I remember having to get a program and another program to get a password to enter Xbins for the homebrew. Sony sued the guy who modded the PS3 or something, but I've never seen any indication Nintendo cares. Cartridge ROMs are openly available on a number of websites, the homebrew for the Wii is as well, and if I understand correctly, there wasn't much of an effort to prevent the Wii U from being moddable since people figured it out pretty fast. They have shown signs of being stingy (removing the GC ports from later Wii models), but never litigious, even though they most likely lost money to some extent because most classic games were in their store. Though, that amount of money was probably like taking a couple hundred gallons of water from the ocean considering the Wii was the number one selling system for quite a while. I think the PS4 broke that record, though.

2. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    No

Huntereb and chavosaur like this.
  3. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nintendo is aggressive in protecting their content.

(1) Try downloading some first person titles off ThePirateBay. You'll get a letter from your ISP saying they got you.
    (2) Nintendo is so cheap, they went after YouTubers ! trying to get rid of Let's Play videos.

Are they cool ?

No. Cool people don't mix tablets and controllers.

Huntereb likes this.
  4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    try to search about game acceptance rules, nintendo rules in the past for making games to nintendo consoles were so strict...

5. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    If you think patronizing a particular game company makes you cool, you probably aren't.

EZ-Megaman and p1ngpong like this.
  6. Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard
    OP

Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    I don't know, Nintendo is just one I've never seen. I had one of those ISPs back in the day where I got a bunch of movies and shows and never one letter. I even got a couple of HBO shows.

7. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
  8. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    ^ Ah I had one of those bad boys. Good times, Bung were awesome - homebrew competitions etc.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Shouldn't this be in something other then "hacking"?

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Only when you're 10.

Huntereb likes this.
  11. Empu1

Empu1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2010
    R'lyeh
    ... it seems somebody didn't even bother reading past the title. Hate is strong in this one :lol:

filfat and endoverend like this.
  12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I think "cool" isn't the right word, and prompts responses like Tom's.
    Nintendo does care about you modding their systems. The last few updates for the Wii were for the sole purpose of blocking homebrew. But their online services were usable even with a modded system, and that's why a lot more Wiis are modded than PS3s.
    And sometimes Nintendo is cool to their long-time fans (e.g. GC controller for Wii U Smash, Pokemon remakes, etc.).

13. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    They care about hacks, since they talked about it during past investor's meetings ...but they probably will never be too aggressive towards it, maybe cause it could generate negative attention regardless of it solving something or not.
    They will probably just keep what they're doing, and "passively" fight against hacks (console updates, region locks, etc..)

14. EZ-Megaman

EZ-Megaman Likeanator

Aug 11, 2009
  15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    They sue flashcard manufacturers and retailers, they are lobbying to make flashcards illegal (they succeeded in several countries), and they are leaning heavily on PayPal to refuse services and freeze accounts of online flashcard retailers. They aren't "cool" with it.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/0...n-944k-worth-of-damages-in-r4-piracy-lawsuit/
    http://mynintendonews.com/2011/10/0...million-in-piracy-battle-bans-r4-flash-carts/

16. koimayeul

koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2009
    France
    France
    Are you serious..? Nintendo is a BUSINESS SHARK. Nothing cool and friendly about them, look at the Virtual Console prices for hard evidence.. The close to null state of actual sales from them.. The rarity of "gifts" to their old customers and newcomers alike.. I think the point I wanted to make here, is now scored. Big N = Money Hungry BEAST! (with mustaches)

ON TOPIC

Yeah, piracy wise, Big N is sort of "cool", with the countless Mario hacks out there and few firmware updates to block exploits.

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Christ, almighty. Change the thread title to something like "does nintendo care about pirating?". I'm getting mental images of Iwata and Miyamoto in sunglasses wearing caps backwards and doing thumbs up and "hanging out".

*shudders*

Now...when it comes to piracy, I get the feeling nintendo is less aggressive towards hackers. The actions they take (like stubbing wii's IOS249* or fixing bannerbomb or the initial twilight hack) are relatively harmless and shouldn't affect those who don't do anything illegal. Likwise, they won't repair your wii if they find traces of homebrew, and there's the occasional action in court (see Megaman and Veho's posts). But to their CUSTOMERS, nintendo's pretty decent.

Take the wiiu. I'm pretty sure sony or microsoft would have decided to drop the backwards compatibility the moment they found out there was no way to block the existing hacks on the vwii. Nintendo just accepts that it's better to offer it as a service to their fans (and have the pirates get some extras) rather than punishing their fans in an attempt to stop pirates (who could STILL just hack any wii they wanted to).

...and...the PS4 does quite well, but it's way too early to really compare its success to the wii (a quick comparison of total sales: wii: 101 million, PS4: 10 million).

*which should be empty on a non-hacked wii but is the mainly used cIOS slot.

18. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Depends on your definition of cool and who you ask.

19. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I would say yes, because all in all they are. The few things that are not cool (region lock, no unsigned code, etc) do not outway the good things (Mario, Wii U, Zelda, etc) to me.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I like both Nintendo and Sony, but despise Microsoft's line of game consoles, because I can.

MegaAce™ likes this.