ds0.jpg

You can see the two halves broke apart

ds2.jpg

ds.jpg

The wiring got cut near the L button

ds3.jpg

Here's the upper half of the DS.

ds4.jpg

The part showing the light for battery life took a heavy impact. The R button almost came out.

I could hear something loose inside bottom half. Something from the motherboard might have came off. I can't check it because I don't have a triwing screwdriver to open my DS.

Can somebody help me fix this mess, if possible?

ciencien

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its saveable, i have the same problem but the wiring from the L or R button still intact. so your case will probably cost more to repair.
As long as the DS circuitry did not blow up or exposed to water, it supposed to be able to be repaired.

One question is the screen intact?? i believe the screen will be expensive to repair.

My case was i drop my DS, the R button (the exact same place where the battery life LED is) completely fall off. My screen is dangling. I brought it to the Nintendo service center, they say they can repair it so i got mine saved.
Call N cust service ask for official service center, try to give them a visit.

I believe anything above 1/2 the price of DS is not worth repairing, better get a new one ^ ^

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say doomed. You will definitely need a new shell (it will cost around 50 dollars if you want an official Nintendo shell). You will have to replace the top screen, because the ribbon cable is broken. That will cost you around 50 as well. I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like you antenna wire also broke. That will cost you around 20 to replace. So, if you take into account the cost of the broken pieces and the fact that you will have to rebuild it, it would be better to get a new one. If your ds is still under warranty, send it in to see if you can get it replaced, if not, start saving up your money for a new one.
happy.gif

I'm sorry for your loss.
frown.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
it would cost your left nut but:
you need new top screen (soldering skills involved for the speaker change)
New casing (about 20 bucks from DS)
New microphone (because its wire broke, pretty rare to see anywhere)
New wifi antenna (also, rare)

Its saveable, but i would recommend getting a new one
frown.gif

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You need a new case ($20 for a cheap one) and a new top screen ($15).

The mic and wifi cables will also need repairing, but you can either do this by stripping and joining the existing wire, or if it is easier, inserting another piece of wire (there isn't much room to make it shorter).

This assumes that the lower half is essentially in working order (I realise R is a bit out of place) you should be able to tell this by turning it on - the lower screen should flash, then power off. Also, the power slider should still feel springy, and hopefully L & R still click when you push them.

Or you can open it up and have a look before you try repairs...

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joey90 said:
You need a new case ($20 for a cheap one) and a new top screen ($15).

The mic and wifi cables will also need repairing, but you can either do this by stripping and joining the existing wire, or if it is easier, inserting another piece of wire (there isn't much room to make it shorter).

This assumes that the lower half is essentially in working order (I realise R is a bit out of place) you should be able to tell this by turning it on - the lower screen should flash, then power off. Also, the power slider should still feel springy, and hopefully L & R still click when you push them.

Or you can open it up and have a look before you try repairs...
Don't forget that its gonna need a new ribbon cable.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK top screen replacements come with the ribbon cable attached.

But yeah, there's a chance it can be saved, you need to open it up and see if anything major is broken off.

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it would be a good experience trying to fix it... buying a new screen and casing will not cost you that much at all, $40 at the most from DealExtreme.

Just solder all the snapped wires together and it might come back to life
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM