GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
machomuu said:
Oh yeah, you're right. But Buddhism isn't really a theist religion to begin with.
Buddhists worship Shakyumani Buddha as a holy deity, as with numerous other Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and the like. If that's not very theist, I don't know what is. You're thinking of Zen, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism that focuses on attaining enlightenment through inner peace and meditation, and has less emphasis on the worship of holy deities.

QUOTE(chao1212 @ Jun 13 2011, 11:54 AM) Karma's a pretty major part of the Buddhist religion's path to enlightenment or whatever, named such and everything.
Karma plays a major role in Buddhism, as well as Hinduism (both originating in Ancient India). Karma in Buddhism is believed to be the reason for reincarnation, where spirits are continuously reborn in a cycle of six different realms based on the karmic accumulation of their past lives. Eliminating the cause for bad karma is believed to be key to prevention from reincarnation and to achieve enlightenment. Karma within Buddhism includes the religious aspect in which karma will carry over from one life to the next based on the laws of reincarnation.

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
machomuu said:
Oh yeah, you're right. But Buddhism isn't really a theist religion to begin with.
Buddhists worship Shakyumani Buddha as a holy deity, as with numerous other Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and the like. If that's not very theist, I don't know what is. You're thinking of Zen, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism that focuses on attaining enlightenment through inner peace and meditation, and has less emphasis on the worship of holy deities.

The original form of Buddhism is atheistic (Theravada). It became theistic in some regions (largely in China) because people incorporates local practices and beliefs into Buddhism.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
mk.2 said:
CarbonX13 said:
machomuu said:
Buddhists worship Shakyamuni Buddha as a holy deity, as with numerous other Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and the like. If that's not very theist, I don't know what is. You're thinking of Zen, a branch of Mahayana Buddhism that focuses on attaining enlightenment through inner peace and meditation, and has less emphasis on the worship of holy deities.

The original form of Buddhism is atheistic (Theravada). It became theistic in some regions (largely in China) because people incorporates local practices and beliefs into Buddhism.
Theravada Buddhists still worship the Buddhas, it's just that they emphasize on self-enlightenment, whereas Mahayana Buddhists have more of a goal to 'help others to enlightenment' as well. Theravada Buddhists, nonetheless, still worship Buddha statues and study the religious preachings of Shakyamuni Buddha.

Holified 2x

Trophies
Website
tezzytuffstufffind.squarespace.com
XP
Country
United States
unsure.gif
I'm not sure but people do claim a lot of stuff happen to them because of Karma so it's possible ?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am Buddhist, so you could say that it is a major part of my religion, and I do believe it, although, at this point in my life, I do think about it sometimes, but I don't necessarily care or worry about it very much. Although, I do believe in the saying "what does around, comes around". If you are kind and nice towards people, they will be nice to you as well. Of course, there are some exceptions, but if that doesn't work, I tend to just not bother them.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hikaru said:
Although, I do believe in the saying "what does around, comes around". If you are kind and nice towards people, they will be nice to you as well. Of course, there are some exceptions, but if that doesn't work, I tend to just not bother them.

Sorry but out of personal experience if you are nice to people they treat you like shit. If you're bigger and act nastier than others they will be nicer to you than they are to their own mothers.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Hikaru said:
Although, I do believe in the saying "what goes around, comes around". If you are kind and nice towards people, they will be nice to you as well. Of course, there are some exceptions, but if that doesn't work, I tend to just not bother them.

Sorry but out of personal experience if you are nice to people they treat you like shit. If you're bigger and act nastier than others they will be nicer to you than they are to their own mothers.

Unfortunately, that's probably true in most cases. Although I guess it depends on the person and their environment.

QUOTE(Assassination @ Jun 14 2011, 02:52 AM)
ugh
Was there any real point of posting this besides raising your post count?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hikaru said:
Unfortunately, that's probably true in most cases. Although I guess it depends on the person and their environment.

And while I'm big and rather unpleasant, I was very big very young and learned that it's very easy to hurt people and it's not very nice. Means I can't really avoid getting used as doormat even when I see it coming from miles away.

But on a bigger, beyond the petty troubles of man scale I can see some things working like the Karma concept. But unfortunately not on any moralistic scale as understandable by any intelligence where emotions are the primary guide.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Karma is only as real as you believe it to be me thinks.

Do I think it's real?
Ehh.. not really. The whole "anything can happen regardless of anything" seems to make more sense to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/