Is Karma real?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Waflix, Jun 11, 2011.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Waflix
    OP

Waflix El Psy Congroo

Dec 17, 2010
    Netherlands
    Do you think Karma is real? Well, at least. The Karma that is described here. I forgot that there are more interpretations of Karma.

2. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
  3. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    i don't believe in karma, but in if there's down, there's definitely be up.

4. Shockwind

Shockwind DIEEE!!!

Dec 10, 2010
    Japan
    Hm... It depends. [​IMG]

5. 4-leaf-clover

4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Mar 4, 2011
    Netherlands
    That place you call ''Home''
    nah i don't believe in that kind of things [​IMG]

6. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010
    Newton's third law...
    "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction"

7. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I believe this depends on the individual.

I personally don't believe it.

8. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    No.

9. Pyrmon

Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Sep 25, 2010
    Canada
    Montreal
    I believe in it, mostly because it is compatible with my religion. But I like the idea of a reaction that is equal to an action, whether positive or negative.

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I like to believe that karma is real.

11. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010
    Like it or not, Christians all believe in at least one sort of karma... Observe:
    Good person = Heaven
    Bad person = Hell

The good people receive the reward of eternal life and whatnot in the presence of God, the bad ones roast forever in the endless oceans of flame. If that isn't karma, what is?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm afraid that this is the only Karma I really have time to think about, and I hope it's real.

On a serious note thought, I suppose Karma does work more or less, but it's mechanism doesn't have to be supernatural as assumed by most of the population. You just become a trouble magnet as soon as you do someone wrong because you realize that you made something awful and subconciously put yourself it icky situations - that's how I see it.

13. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    It would be nice, wouldn't it? I don't believe it exists though.

14. Magmorph

Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    The laws of physics are not magically connected to our moral interpretation of the world. Besides, if you read the entirety of Newton's thirds law, applying it to karma makes absolutely no sense.

15. Miss Panda

Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2007
    It isn't real. Where was the punishment for all those who destroyed Europe, chopped Germany in half and raped the local women and children. Eastern Europe still hasn't recovered from the evil inflicted on them.

16. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010

Actually I was just saying yes in a different manner. Pretty sure Sir Isaac Newton was only thinking of apples as he wrote them rules down, LOL. I just took the quote, not like I said "this proves it /thread", LOL

17. Magmorph

Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    That's not exactly what Christians believe. They believe you have to accept their religion if you want to get into heaven. You could be a perfectly good person and still go to hell.

18. Shinigami357

Jul 29, 2010

Wait... I thought the doctrine was "believe in Him and you shall be saved" or something? There's now a church-members' only rule?

Well, whatevs...

19. Prophet

Prophet Resident Black Militant

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    It depends what you mean by karma exactly. Do I think that there is a intervening cosmic force that ensures that good deeds are rewarded and bad deeds punished? No I don't believe that. However, a person who does wicked things will quite naturally be worst off, then a virtuous acting individual. That comes as a consequence of the fact that doing wrong, harms the doer even more so then the victim. To paraphrase Plato, The better man can not be harmed by the worse man. Of course the better man can be maimed, robbed and murdered by the worst man; however these are not true harms. Imagine Jesus on the cross. Can he be said to have been harmed or lessened by mankind? Or is the man named Jesus executed, but his essence as a person left unmarred? The same can be asked about Gandhi or Martin Luther King. These men meet their death but they can not be said to have been harmed. They are murdered, but who they were principally is left untouched. Furthermore, in killing such men, the murderers do themselves a disservice. The world is better for the existence of Jesus, Gandhi and King; a world without them is worst off. To rid the world of such men, is ultimately to the killers detriment; as none are more in need of these figures positive influence then those who is vile enough to commit murder. The murderer ends up killing that very thing he needed to observe most. He is bound to be a worst man now. That is a karma of sorts.

20. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Clearly you misunderstood me. I am well aware of fact that it's not real, but I like to believe it is real, in some situations I like to believe people who have wronged others get what they deserve, even if they didn't I just hope one day they do. On the other hand, I like to believe those who helped someone as well get rewarded in any small manor.
    This doesn't mean I believe in karma, this only means I wish it was real.