Hacking Is it worth waiting?

girth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a vita and it is running the 1.06 firmware. Is there currently any reason to stay at this firmware or should I just update to the current firmware? I would eventually like to hack my vita, if it ever gets hacked, and I know that the older the firmware the more likely I am to have the ability to hack but I would also like to play some of the newer games. So now I come to you lovely chaps to help guide me in my decision.

Thanks.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
1.06? There's no real reason to be anywhere below 2.12 (the last kernel exploit). Staying any lower than that will not benefit you in any way.

Even then, we know there will be a kernel exploit released for 3.xx. So you may as well upgrade to 3.xx, grab some good games, and see what the final kernel exploit is like.

G36cBossMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take my advice and give up on the vita the day a kernel exploit gets reasleased the day the world ends lol well you get what I'm saying right? Just use a psp on cfw does the same thing just no second analog stick... Besides over 20 exploits were patched with the 3.00 update including to kernel exploits they founders of the kernel exploits waited and waited and waited until it was to late now all there hard work was for nothing serves them right if you ask me...

wakka12

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The older firmwares are more susceptible to hacks as they still contains the bugs that were not fixed in newer versions. It's impossible to tell whether a full vita hack will be on newer or older firmware.

Besides over 20 exploits were patched with the 3.00 update including to kernel exploits they founders of the kernel exploits waited and waited and waited until it was to late now all there hard work was for nothing serves them right if you ask me...

That's exactly what kills any dev's motivation to continue their hard work.
lol @ serves them right, i hope they crack the thing and keep it to themselves, that would serve you right.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I not sure how much knowledge you have of the Vita Scene.... There is an upcoming kernal vulnerability that will allow full kernal control of the built in PSP emulator being released by the name of "TN-V4" It's the closest to homebrew on the PS Vita your going to get. Dont let that scare you away, Emulators and PSP games looks magnificent on dat OLED.

1.06? There's no real reason to be anywhere below 2.12 (the last kernel exploit). Staying any lower than that will not benefit you in any way.

The first and only publicly available kernal exploit only runs up until 2.02 using the PSP game UNO. But user-mode exploits (aka VHBL) are available upto 2.61

G36cBossMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The older firmwares are more susceptible to hacks as they still contains the bugs that were not fixed in newer versions. It's impossible to tell whether a full vita hack will be on newer or older firmware.

That's exactly what kills any dev's motivation to continue their hard work.
lol @ serves them right, i hope they crack the thing and keep it to themselves, that would serve you right.

Lmao it's not my fault there brain dead and wait so long to realese it that it gets patched... 20+ exploits were patched with the 3.00 update and don't give me that I kill there motivation bs it's there fault Ty waited so long not mine... Maybe with 20+ exploits lost they will have more common sense and not wait so long as for there choice to release it or not id rather they do keep to them selves and me not know about it then to get my hopes up and slap me in the face when there patched after waiting so long...

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooops, should've asked here:
Anyways took advantage of the Amazon bundle deal purely to get a Vita for $175. Didn't care much about the bundled games & stuff, plus next-to-useless 4GB card(ordered a 32GB with the bundle).

So this thing showed up today, and I did the most basic setup possible, 32GB mem card -> trial PSN, setup WiFi to check. Doing something or other it asked about updating the fw which I decided to decline.

Went to check fw, and it's 1.0.6.

So I guess my question from this being my first Sony handheld console(skipped psp, not many good native games, and by the time I looked for a portable psx emu it was dicey about getting the fw hacked, plus phones and other devices had caught up enough to do good psx emu on their own, but not necessarily with ideal controls(touch screen kinda sucked) and others usually lack 2 shoulder buttons). what is the difference between the user mode exploit and kernel?

User-mode = temporary?
kernel = "permanent"?

Any "feature" difference between the two?

I also picked up Persona for it(I liked the psx games, and the ps2 games so I figured hey even if it's not hackable portable fun for probably hundreds of hours...)

It's busily charging up right now, so it'll be a while before I feel like I must decide, although from the sounds of things I'm thinking may as well just update fw to latest...

bah nm, just went and looked at prices on buying from sony's store... cheap enough that I don't feel too ripped off buying my games at least twice(some will be as many as 4 or 5 times... which makes me sad though...)

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Generally I believe the kernel exploits let you run downloaded PSP games, while the usermode exploits just let you run PSP homebrew. I may be wrong though.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point in time no and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. People have either lost interest in hacking or the newer consoles are just impossible for anyone to hack right now. I am guessing its the second reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission