Hacking Is it safe to update my wii?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using wad manager v1.4 and IOS249 with cIOS rev10 installed.

I deleted my private folder (which only had gamesaves in it, NO BANNERBOMB) and MY WII STILL FREEZES.

I put all the files from the guide on another SD card, none of those files touched the SD card I am using now.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you had gamesaves on your sd card and NO BANNERBOMB as you said then you didn't really follow the instructions in the guide regarding formatting your sd card before copying the stuff onto it. It doesn't explicitly says HI I'M THE BANNERBOMB FILES ON YOUR SD CARD. It's just another content.bin thing with it's own title ID of like aktn or something in the private folder.

Format your sd card, put ONLY the things you need on it. (wad manager in apps folder, .wad files in WAD folder, and the bootmii folder with the things on it from before and try again.) If that doesn't work, what wad are you trying to install? Maybe it's just a bad wad or something.

Edit: well then if it's a different SD card I have no idea what you have on it, but would still suggest backing up the stuff on it and formatting it and putting only the things you need on it.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there is a chance the .wads are bad, that isn't my main concern here, my main concern is:
3. If I go to Wii>Data Management>Save Data>Wii>SD Card MY WII FREEZES unless there is no SD card inserted. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

SD A = Used for guide only, only has guide files.
SD B = Card I used for everything else, had loaders, wads, apps, gamesaves.

I did the whole guide on SD Card A and left SD Card B untouched. SD Card B has none of the files from the SD Card A used for the guide, maybe I should copy the bootmii files to SD Card B?

I highly appreciate the help and will do whatever it takes to fix this problem.

I'm going to reformat the card and try what you said right now, will post results asap!

Should I let the wii format it or the computer and what should I format it in?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes you should put the bootmii files on the card you use anyways. And for the other things it still froze even after you deleted the whole private folder from the SD card? And if not is the file structure of the private folder correct? It should be something like ...private\wii\title\ other folders with different title ID's for each game with content.bin files in each respective one. If one of those title id's is aktn then you have bannerbomb on your sd card and need to remove that.

If it's not that, again, format your sd card and just put what's necessary on it. Try not putting those .wad files back on it, only put on gamesaves that you know are legit or better yet try just doing a legit copy to the sd card from data management and try seeing if that shows up afterwards (with nothing else on it)

Edit: I don't think the Wii formats SD cards, you can format your system through the Wii, but that won't help you and will delete everything you have and probably brick you so don't do that. Format it through your computer to FAT16 as the 4.0 guide told you to format the other one.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 minutes left until done backing up SD Card B. I will also add the Bootmii files to it.

I did notice that I can go to Wii>Data Management>Channels and it seems to read the SD card fine.

I formatted it to fat16, put on wad manager v1.4, 1 n64 wad, and a legit game save = same freezing.
Added Bootmii files = same freezing
CARD IS BLANK FORMATTED IN FAT16 = SAME FREEZING!
SD Card A - private folder = Same Freezing

I think something must have gone wrong with my system menu install. This has highly pissed me off and I would just like to know how I reinstall the system 4.0 menu please.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does it freeze without that game save and wad on?

Edit: oh nvm, froze while blank too. Hmm...

While I don't think it would fix the problem you COULD just run through that whole guide again

You had no problems with this before updating the Wii?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I formatted the card and didn't add anything to it, it still froze on me.

Let me see if I can transfer any saves to the SD Card.

It had no problems copying gamesaves to the SD Card. When I tried to view them, the wii froze as usual.

The gamesaves are there because I checked the card on the computer.

I had no problems with my wii until I updated today.

How bad are the risks if I try to reinstall the 4.0 system menu and preloader?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any need for me to be at 4.0 or will I be ok with everything (games, wads, virtual console) at 3.2u?

It seems just going there even when there is no SD card is enough to freeze my system now.

What is the easiest way to reinstall the system menu? (I assume this should fix the problem).

Maybe I'll just restore my wii using bootmii and try this all again.

elistan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

But I was helping a friend to setup his wii, and for the life of me can't figure out why on my system I can install both wiiware and VC wads and be able to play them. But on my friend's wii, after doing all the same things I did with mine (i think ... ), installing wiiware games works fine but VC wads which installs fine refuse to play. Running VC wads just reboots the wii back to main menu.

wii 4.0
wad manager 1.4
cios 10
homebrew channel

Any ideas ?

Thanks

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have made your own thread. The only guess I can think of is maybe the region is wrong, look at them in freethewads (good chance I'm wrong).

I wish I knew the reason, I really do >.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also noticed today that there is a blank square inbetween gamesaves in my wii memory, and it seems my wii is starting to freeze more if I go anywhere near the gamesaves area.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right?

I need to fix this problem, I don't like my wii freezing on me and not being able to copy gamesaves from my SD card to my Wii.

Also about to run Tona's Shop Updater and try to get some DLC working.

Questions:
1. I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right?

2. After I run the 4.0 updater, will the wii restart on me, I am afraid the system might brick because the IOS60 won't be patched and preloader is installed?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*BUMP*

Questions:
1. I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right?

2. After I run the 4.0 updater, will the wii restart on me, I am afraid the system might brick because the IOS60 won't be patched and preloader is installed?

LHCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have some problem.. anyone can fix it?

edit:

I have a solution..

try to delete saves/download content to the WII with HOMEBREW "Any Tittle Delete"

code saves list
http://www.wiisave.com/gamecodes/index.php

use this list to find your's saves game code (obs, the last letter is region code A - AMereican / E - European / J - Japan)

after it the blank square on the wii saves is disapared

its work for me! good look

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks LCHO, will try that. My questions got answers:

QUOTE said:
QUOTE(LufianGuy @ Jul 19 2009, 12:17 PM) *
1. I'm on 4.0u with preloader installed, but I can run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater again and it should reinstall my 4.0 system menu right? Or should I just repeat the guide from step 6?

assassda:
1. Yes but you may also want to run IOS-Downgrader

2. It will not boot to preloader if you install a new system menu. if it does boot to preloader and it says "system files are corrupt" when you launch system menu just reinstall preloader

More Questions:

1. I wonder if somehow that blank gamesave square in my wii gamesave memory is causing the problem that my sd card can't be read in the savegame data section. It is DLC labeled wR9P = Megaman 9 dlc, I uninstalled all my dlc and tried to delete this using wad manager 1.4 (I get ret 4011 and 106) and anytitledeleter DB edition, but it keeps giving me a DSI error. How the hell can I get this MM9 DLC off my wii?

2. Can a USA Wii have and use PAL or JAP gamesave data?

3. If I were to install system menu 4.0 as a wad, I would just need to patch IOS60 and reinstall preloader to be back to normal right?

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump

OMFG, MY WII IS FIXED!!

I tried the original anytitledeleter and it deleted the MM9 DLC (no blank square in wii savegame data now) and now I can read the SD card again with no freezing, thank god!

ALL DLC IS ALSO WORKING NOW!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong