Hacking Question Is it safe to enable/disable AutoRCM as much as I want?

CassioAug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it safe to turn AutoRCM on and off as much as I want? There's any kind of risk to it?

I ask this because I like to let AutoRCM on when I need to remove the SD card to manage it on PC, as I prefer to avoid using the jig fearing to damage my system. But I also don't feel comfortable letting it enabled 24/7 since I've read tons of reports of people having serious trouble to boot it on again when they let the battery to drain out.

I know that when the battery drains, when you put it to charge, as soon as it powers up it will enter into RCM mode, and that in this mode the process of recharging is way slower than usual. I know some people report that after letting it charging for a while they're able to turn it back on, and some that they managed recharge after pressing the power button for 20 seconds. But I still have read a lot of reports of people saying that they followed these steps, but still didn't manage to start it again (if they followed the steps correctly, I have no saying).

That being said, to avoid this kind of issue, I was considering only turning AutoRCM on when needing to take the microSD card out, and then, if I imagine won't need to do it again any time soon, would turn AutoRCM off again. Can do this with a certain frequency damage the console?

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Well In my case I think it's fine since I've been also gone enabling/disabling autorcm a lot lately and so far so good I didn't really encounter anything ill effects on my switch. But keep in mind if you use hekate to turn on autorcm then use also hekate to turn it off.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Don't ever let the battery die
Hekate has an SD tool so you can access it through usb c to save wear and tear
Hekate has a full shutdown option if you really want it off

Seriously, if it's still too much effort to drag a few files to your sd to use hekate.. just do it.

CassioAug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well In my case I think it's fine since I've been also gone enabling/disabling autorcm a lot lately and so far so good I didn't really encounter anything ill effects on my switch. But keep in mind if you use hekate to turn on autorcm then use also hekate to turn it off.
I have activated it thorough SX-OS. But any reason why AutoRCM has to be enabled / disabled in the same location?

If you only want it for taking an SD card out, you can just reboot to hekate and take it out there - no shutting down required.
Ohh... really?? That's pretty awesome, I had no idea. Are you sure? I can safely remove my SD while booted on Hekate?

I mean... but how will Hekate continue running if I take the SD off, since it's data is saved on the SD card? Also... what if I remove Hekate and put it back on, while Hekate is running? (not that I would do it, but I'm just traying to understand how is this possible)

Last edited by CassioAug,
Reactions: hlhbk

hlhbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have activated it thorough SX-OS. But any reason why AutoRCM has to be enabled / disabled in the same location?

Ohh... really?? That's pretty awesome, I had no idea. Are you sure? I can safely remove my SD while booted on Hekate?

I mean... but how will Hekate continue running if I take the SD off, since it's data is saved on the SD card? Also... what if I remove Hekate and put it back on, while Hekate is running? (not that I would do it, but I'm just traying to understand how is this possible)

I also am wondering this????

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Yep, I use it for that all the time. It'll come up with a popup saying that it will reload when the SD is put back in, and has 2 options - reboot to RCM, or power off.

Reactions: TheCasualties

CassioAug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, I use it for that all the time. It'll come up with a popup saying that it will reload when the SD is put back in, and has 2 options - reboot to RCM, or power off.
That's pretty great!! I had no idea!!
Well, I believe I will turn AutoRCM off then... I almost never turn my Switch off, I always let it in sleep mode. The main reason I let AutoRCM enabled is to avoid using the Jig every time I need to remove the SD card. If it's possible to make it on Hekate, and then reboot on RCM ready to inject any payload I want, it's pretty much exactly what I need.

Reactions: Souperman9

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had autoRCM enabled for two+ years. I also dock my switch when I dont use it. The battery has fully drained when I forgot to dock it twice in that time frame. I charged it for an hour each time (long enough to get it in OFW). Then it was fine. Draw your conclusion from my statements.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to take out your sd card at all, just use usb to transfer files.

My Switch never shuts down just sleeps and I never remove sd card. Been doing this for 2 years now no problems.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also use Hekate to keep the switch on while swapping SD cards. (HOS <-> Ubuntu).

And yes if you only need to add or modify some files on the sd, just use hekate's usb tools.

If only dropping a few small files onto the sd, I use nxmtp. Don't even have to reboot the switch.

Last edited by TheCasualties, , Reason: Added NXmtp line
Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F