Is it possible...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nolefan413, Nov 25, 2013.

1. nolefan413
    OP

nolefan413 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2008
    United States
    I have a modded Wii with a 500gb wbfs hdd that works perfectly. What I'd like to do is add a 1TB drive to the other USB port that houses GC games as well as all the roms for my emulators (NES SNES Sega etc) is this possible? I feel like if I can do this I'll have a really amazing Nintendo machine that will stay hooked up to my TV forever. What challenges will I meet in doing this? Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. megatron_lives

megatron_lives GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2006
    Hampshire
    I would recommend forgetting the wbfs formatted 500gb hard drive and just fomat the 1TB HD with FAT32 and transfer the games from the 500gb to the 1TB. I believe Wii backup manager can do that or there are other tools (I can't remember off the top of my head).
    With the 1TB HD on FAT, you have plenty of space for Wii, GC and all your emulator roms etc. I used to have that setup with loads of movies and TV too, with no probs- Now I have a 2TB HD with loads of space left!

From what I understand, FAT format is the most compatible with most (if not all) homebrew. WBFS is a bit old now and I at least have had problems with corrupt files/games with this format.

I hope that helps! Enjoy

3. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    I agree with megatron_lives, switch to FAT32 and run everything off the new drive.
    Thats exactly my setup also for Wii, Gamecube, Emulators, and Movies.

4. Gemuzuki

Gemuzuki Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2013
    Netherlands
    Wbfs is not recommended anymore and has lots less pro's than NTFS or FAT32 filesystem format.

Because you use it for emulators and homebrew possible not supporting NTFS, FAT32 is recommended as filesystem.
    Be sure to place your Wii games under "USB:\wbfs\" and GC games under "USB:\games\".

If you do not like Wii games to be split (because FAT32 has a 4GB file limitation), you can make a second partition as NTFS and place them there.
    Use a loader like Wiiflow to read Wii games from that partition and play you can again.

Good day.

Gezumuki.

5. nolefan413
    OP

nolefan413 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the responses.

Wow, so wbfs isn't required to run Wii games? Shows how much I know.

Let me get this straight, I can run the Wii games off an NTFS Partition but the GC Games have to run off of a FAT32 partition?

6. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Yes. I have 2 partitions for example, NTFS for Wii games, movies, music, and other stuff. And FAT32 for GC games, emulators roms, and Homebrew apps. Mine is 1TB too, and have plenty of space, I think I never ran out of space in almost 4 years.

7. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
  8. nolefan413
    OP

nolefan413 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2008
    United States
    It's been a couple years since I set mine up. Aside from the DM setup for GC games, are there any other cIOS updates I'll need to do?