Hardware Is it possible to use "non-Vita" MicroSDs?

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
As others have said, the Vita uses proprietory memory cards.

You can either wait for the rumoured adaptor, or just swallow it and buy the 64GB card. I have a 64GB card and while the price was painful, I couldn't live with a smaller card given this needs to be shared with Vita, PSP and PS1 titles not to mention rom sets.
Ey man, we need you back in the RetroArch thread.
Don't know where I can report my fail reports, and really I'm really loving that app.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder , why no one talks about this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/yifanlu-is-making-an-sd-adapter-for-ps-vita-3g.472307/page-7#post-7400817

Ill wait to get a blueprint, and then solder it myself.
Got a 128gb MSD lyin around, and thats perfect for it.

But sadly, you need a 3G Vita.
Or get a 3G Board on Aliexpress if you want (and like to solder stuf).

Just a heads up, they're having issues with power management at the moment and they're experimenting.

Also, I've heard you don't need a soldering iron to use a replacement 3G board....possibly a hacksaw though judging by comments I've read (unless you meant for the SD adapter).

That sounds like the best idea so far. But does the cfw have support added in for that yet?

The driver has been done apparently, at least for the current version.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ps-vita-3g-to-microsd-card-adapter#/updates

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a heads up, they're having issues with power management at the moment and they're experimenting.

Also, I've heard you don't need a soldering iron to use a replacement 3G board....possibly a hacksaw though judging by comments I've read (unless you meant for the SD adapter).

The driver has been done apparently, at least for the current version.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ps-vita-3g-to-microsd-card-adapter#/updates

they are talking about it in this thread pg4 or something https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-port-mod.472355/

yoshimashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same. Been searching around to see if it's cheaper on some sites. I did find some that's much cheaper but it's "used" .

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible if you've followed my twitter you'd have seen I have a 32GB USB in my Vita

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Make sure it's a 3G vita on or below 3.60

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is possible if you've followed my twitter you'd have seen I have a 32GB USB in my Vita

Make sure it's a 3G vita on or below 3.60
have we figured out why exactly it wont work on wifi only models, is it software only or is there a big hardware discrepancy?

acidmango

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
have we figured out why exactly it wont work on wifi only models, is it software only or is there a big hardware discrepancy?
Simple, the 3G models have a 3G modem that connects to the PSVita mobo via pcie slot. The MicroSD reader replaces the 3G modem and uses that connection. The Wifi boards lack this connection.
You can swap a 3G mobo into your Wifi Vita, but you may have to modify the case a bit.

Last edited by acidmango,

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Simple, the 3G models have a 3G modem that connects to the PSVita mobo via pcie slot. The MicroSD reader replaces the 3G modem and uses that connection. The Wifi boards lack this connection.
You can swap a 3G mobo into your Wifi Vita, but you may have to modify the case a bit.
yeah but the pins are still on the wifi board, and as far as I know hardware wise its a small and easy mod to make it similar

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah but the pins are still on the wifi board, and as far as I know hardware wise its a small and easy mod to make it similar
Right now we are cloudy on why it isn't working but there is someone working on the syscon registers to see if it is disabled there.

Most research confirms the 5V VCC lines are working so it's the USB-/+ as I believe the UART interface should be alive.

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right now we are cloudy on why it isn't working but there is someone working on the syscon registers to see if it is disabled there.

Most research confirms the 5V VCC lines are working so it's the USB-/+ as I believe the UART interface should be alive.
if its believed to be pretty much software, can we not just overwrite the wifi model's syscon with the 3g's one?

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You do that and that means if there is EVEN THE SLIGHTEST thing different that we haven't noticed means a complete BRICK
donations to get a few practice boards? on a serious note i can see that being a big issue, anyone working on a recovery thing yet? im thinking along the lines of a pandoras

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
donations to get a few practice boards? on a serious note i can see that being a big issue, anyone working on a recovery thing yet? im thinking along the lines of a pandoras
"Pandora" will never happen again with the PS Vita, Sony learnt from their mistakes and their security is TIGHT, for an example look at how long it took to get Henkaku.

Also we haven't compared a Wi-Fi/3G Vita registry closely yet, anyone who has them both should do a comparison.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita memory cards are completely different from microSDs. I think they're even slightly smaller (but thicker).
They're basically the memory stick micro (M2) cards with some difference in notches and 'fingers' on the part that touch the contacts on the slot.

Last I checked, there wasn't a way to use microSD cards in the PSP go, either. So I don't expect there to be anything soon for the Vita.

Dr_Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Pandora" will never happen again with the PS Vita, Sony learnt from their mistakes and their security is TIGHT, for an example look at how long it took to get Henkaku.

Also we haven't compared a Wi-Fi/3G Vita registry closely yet, anyone who has them both should do a comparison.
i have a wifi oled model, if i had a 3g

i have a wifi oled model, if i had a 3g i would but i dont nor do i have the code knowledge, my codeing extent only goes as far as basic python unfortunately

also is it not possible to make a recovery enviroment or add something like a boot loader to the psvita?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill