Hacking Is it possible to restore Sysnand with Emunand?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Currently I have sysnand and emunand separated. I am doing stuff on emunand. Lets say a year from now I for whatever reason want to switch to using sysnand again. Can I restore my system with the emunand? That way all my progress on puzzles that ive made gets saved?

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
No. This will brick your system.

Why do people keep spreading this bullshit?

You can indeed restore an emunand backup to sysnand WITHOUT it bricking, honestly don't know where people are getting the idea that it will brick your system. :glare:

I've done it MULTIPLE times both via the gateway downgrade/upgrade (restore) menu option and with a hardmod on my OLD 3ds, had no problems at all.

In fact that was the first thing i did when gateway released the option to do so with their menu. :P

Reactions: Margen67

illicit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your system nand and emunand dumps should be a 1:1 match. so i dont see how this would brick your system unless you mess up somehow. i dumped my system nand and dumped my emunand with emunand tool and compared them. they were the same.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well all i will say is i tried it out once for science and it did brick, hundshamer tested it and it bricked,i know it *used* to be fine with pre-7.x, but anything over that seems to cause a brick.....maybe it differs from console to console or something like that, but its not just "safe" and should not be done unless you have a hardmod and your prepared for a brick

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't it safer just to boot into emunand from sysnand though instead of trying this? Just curious because i did not know this was possible.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
What I'd do is make backups of both NANDs before unlinking them:

1) Format sysNAND and set it up (username, date, etc)
2) Back up sysNAND and keep a copy safe (e.g. as sysNAND-8.0.0-linked.bin)
3) Create emuNAND using GW menu
4) Back up emuNAND and keep a copy safe (e.g. as emuNAND-8.0.0-linked.bin)
5) With the SD card out of the console, format sysNAND again to unlink it from emuNAND. Set it up again with different dummy settings, language, theme... to be able to tell it apart from your emuNAND.
6) Back up sysNAND just in case (e.g. as sysNAND-8.0.0-unlinked.bin).
7) Put SD card back in and update emuNAND to 9.2 using a ROM (9.6 doesn't work yet as of this writing, I got lucky and updated to 9.5 just in time)
8) Back up emuNAND again and keep a copy safe (e.g. as emuNAND-9.2.0-linked.bin)
9) Have fun in emuNAND. Make backups regularly. Don't use the dummy sysNAND for anything you care about.

This way, you keep backups of stock versions of both sysNAND and emuNAND, and backups of an up-to-date emuNAND, all of them linked. Plus a clean, dummy, unlinked sysNAND.

If for whatever reason in the future you want to move from emuNAND to sysNAND, simply flash back your sysNAND backup and update it. There should be no risk of brick, because you're using your own sysNAND dump. And the sysNAND backup would still be linked to your emuNAND, so it should have access to everything the emuNAND had on the SD card (except the non-legit stuff that wouldn't work on sysNAND). Edit: if you install any legit CIA, you should make a newer backup of whatever *NAND you install it to, because previous backups won't have the required ticket to validate that CIA as legit.

However, once you update sysNAND, downgrading it again would require a hard mod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-