Is it possible to restore Sysnand with Emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chrushev, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Chrushev
    OP

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    Currently I have sysnand and emunand separated. I am doing stuff on emunand. Lets say a year from now I for whatever reason want to switch to using sysnand again. Can I restore my system with the emunand? That way all my progress on puzzles that ive made gets saved?

2. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    No. This will brick your system.

3. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    Why do people keep spreading this bullshit?

You can indeed restore an emunand backup to sysnand WITHOUT it bricking, honestly don't know where people are getting the idea that it will brick your system. :glare:

I've done it MULTIPLE times both via the gateway downgrade/upgrade (restore) menu option and with a hardmod on my OLD 3ds, had no problems at all.

In fact that was the first thing i did when gateway released the option to do so with their menu. :P

Margen67 likes this.
  4. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
  5. illicit

illicit GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2010
    United States
    your system nand and emunand dumps should be a 1:1 match. so i dont see how this would brick your system unless you mess up somehow. i dumped my system nand and dumped my emunand with emunand tool and compared them. they were the same.

6. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    Honestly, no idea. Just speaking from my personal experience doing it a fair few times with no issue with various system versions from 4.5 to 9.5 and inbetween.

And I'm pretty sure plenty of other people have done it multiple times no issue as well.

7. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    I did it once, just to test it out :) emunand, dumped it to my computer and flashed it with gateway to sysnand, worked fine.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well all i will say is i tried it out once for science and it did brick, hundshamer tested it and it bricked,i know it *used* to be fine with pre-7.x, but anything over that seems to cause a brick.....maybe it differs from console to console or something like that, but its not just "safe" and should not be done unless you have a hardmod and your prepared for a brick

9. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    Gateway Emu- and Sysnand are 100% interchangeable, if you bricked your console you were doing it wrong.

illicit likes this.
  10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Isn't it safer just to boot into emunand from sysnand though instead of trying this? Just curious because i did not know this was possible.

11. storm75x

storm75x Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!

Jan 3, 2015
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
    Isn't EmuNAND basically an exact copy of SysNAND running from a different partition? It's really not that hard to work out...

12. Nephiel

Nephiel Artificer

Nov 3, 2002
    What I'd do is make backups of both NANDs before unlinking them:

1) Format sysNAND and set it up (username, date, etc)
    2) Back up sysNAND and keep a copy safe (e.g. as sysNAND-8.0.0-linked.bin)
    3) Create emuNAND using GW menu
    4) Back up emuNAND and keep a copy safe (e.g. as emuNAND-8.0.0-linked.bin)
    5) With the SD card out of the console, format sysNAND again to unlink it from emuNAND. Set it up again with different dummy settings, language, theme... to be able to tell it apart from your emuNAND.
    6) Back up sysNAND just in case (e.g. as sysNAND-8.0.0-unlinked.bin).
    7) Put SD card back in and update emuNAND to 9.2 using a ROM (9.6 doesn't work yet as of this writing, I got lucky and updated to 9.5 just in time)
    8) Back up emuNAND again and keep a copy safe (e.g. as emuNAND-9.2.0-linked.bin)
    9) Have fun in emuNAND. Make backups regularly. Don't use the dummy sysNAND for anything you care about.

This way, you keep backups of stock versions of both sysNAND and emuNAND, and backups of an up-to-date emuNAND, all of them linked. Plus a clean, dummy, unlinked sysNAND.

If for whatever reason in the future you want to move from emuNAND to sysNAND, simply flash back your sysNAND backup and update it. There should be no risk of brick, because you're using your own sysNAND dump. And the sysNAND backup would still be linked to your emuNAND, so it should have access to everything the emuNAND had on the SD card (except the non-legit stuff that wouldn't work on sysNAND). Edit: if you install any legit CIA, you should make a newer backup of whatever *NAND you install it to, because previous backups won't have the required ticket to validate that CIA as legit.

However, once you update sysNAND, downgrading it again would require a hard mod.

13. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    I wouldn't bother trying, the nand backup should be the one to be restored, hardmod REQUIRED.