Hacking Is it possible to play backups without any kind of hardware mod?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, mod the optical drive. just open up the system, and use jungle flasher. you can identify the drive make by the color of the wires if you remove the faceplate. model makes a difference too. the jungle flasher pdf may look intimidating, but you only need it for your drive which may only be a couple pages.

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, mod the optical drive. just open up the system, and use jungle flasher. you can identify the drive make by the color of the wires if you remove the faceplate. model makes a difference too. the jungle flasher pdf may look intimidating, but you only need it for your drive which may only be a couple pages.

Cool. My 360's disk drive broke years ago but it can still play downloaded games.

Would I be able to continue save files from games that I originally used the disc for (ex: I had the disk for dark souls 2 and had a file on the game, could I play a backup of dark souls 2 and resume where I left off?)

I also purchased all the dlc for dark souls 2, could I just run a back up of the game and access my dlc from the hard drive?

Can I also run backups of original xbox games?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saves and legit dlc should still work. original xbox games work with a flashed drive. they have to be on dual layer discs though. xkey might be able to play them if your drive doesn't work, but I have no experience with one of those.

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saves and legit dlc should still work. original xbox games work with a flashed drive. they have to be on dual layer discs though. xkey might be able to play them if your drive doesn't work, but I have no experience with one of those.

OK. So backups typically have to be loaded with a burned disc?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. So backups typically have to be loaded with a burned disc?

there's an xode for the system called xkey that lets you play games off an hdd. you need your drive key I believe, which jungle flasher will tell you how to get. the method for dumping the key can be different depending on make/model of drive.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RGH is better because you can load from hard drives. I know a good source I got one done myself recently. They only charged me $45 for the RGH and that includes return shipping. I honestly thought they might be a scam because most people wanted at least $65+ before shipping, but they came through it just took maybe 2 weeks.

https://sn00wconsoles.com/

Only downside is no Xbox Live on RGH'd consoles.

Edit: This price was for a Phat I'm not sure if the Slim models cost more or not. If you want to play a lot of backups you'll probably spend more than this on dual layer burned discs eventually, easily so if you have to pay for the flash. There's also dual nands but they cost a lot more.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get an rgh if you want a full hack. buy one if you can't do it yourself. most flashing should be doable by anyone even if you have no skills. you just need a sata connection with your computer.

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RGH is better because you can load from hard drives. I know a good source I got one done myself recently. They only charged me $45 for the RGH and that includes return shipping. I honestly thought they might be a scam because most people wanted at least $65+ before shipping, but they came through it just took maybe 2 weeks.

https://sn00wconsoles.com/

Only downside is no Xbox Live on RGH'd consoles.

Edit: This price was for a Phat I'm not sure if the Slim models cost more or not. If you want to play a lot of backups you'll probably spend more than this on dual layer burned discs eventually, easily so if you have to pay for the flash. There's also dual nands but they cost a lot more.

What does RGH offer that jungle flasher doesn't?

I honestly just want to be able to play a few backups and then I'll probably just put a bunch of games on it and give it to my sister. I don't really need homebrew stuff

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would get an rgh if you want a full hack. buy one if you can't do it yourself. most flashing should be doable by anyone even if you have no skills. you just need a sata connection with your computer.

I honestly just want to load up some backups and finish some games I didn't get to finish before the disk drive broke. Do I need full hack for that?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, your disc drive broke. Are you talking about using a different 360? Flashing the drive is only to play discs. Like I said you need an rgh to play games off a hard drive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he should be able to use the xkey afaik, which is an xbox optical drive emulator (xode). it will load backups off an hdd.

pickinanameainteasy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute, your disc drive broke. Are you talking about using a different 360? Flashing the drive is only to play discs. Like I said you need an rgh to play games off a hard drive. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

No you're right I've been confused. So flashing the optical drive will allow your console to play back ups stored on dvds that are put in the disk drive?

RGH is a full hack that I probably need to pay someone to do for me? Then I can play back ups that I install on my hard drive via usb?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you're right I've been confused. So flashing the optical drive will allow your console to play back ups stored on dvds that are put in the disk drive?

RGH is a full hack that I probably need to pay someone to do for me? Then I can play back ups that I install on my hard drive via usb?

Correct. Like pinky said there's xkey too, i dont know much about it I've always had flash or rgh.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know if you need a working disc drive but probably not. you won't be using it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

afaik, it's solderless, so it probably just intercepts the sata connection like the blaster did. the blaster was a way to flash the system without opening up the system. ironically, you had to open up the system to install it. it used two boards, both solderless.

Reactions: pickinanameainteasy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*