Hacking Is it possible to burn Gamecube games and play them on Wii?

Symphony1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did a google search but all of the results I found were from 2004-2006, very outdated. I was wondering at this point is it possible to burn Gamecube games and play them on my Wii? My Wii is both chip-modded and soft-modded (did the chip-mod before soft-mod came out... and it's terrible), with Neogamma, Homebrew, and USB loader, and is the Canadian version of Wii. I looked everywhere for a copy of Legend of Zelda Masterquest (really want to play Ocarina of Time again but my N64 broke...), but can't find it anywhere here and no way I'm spending like $100 on ebay or something on this, so my last resort is to just download it and burn it, if possible. The information I got so far is:
- Get the gamecube game image, .iso or something
- Burn it with Imgburn at very low speeds onto DVD-R and not DVD+R
What other things do I need to do? Will regular sized DVD (4.3GB) work? Thanks.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Since the wii is chipped, it's pretty likely the OP has already confirmed he's able to launch backup discs, please confirm.

Also since it's chipped, it should be able to play gamecube dvd-r backup discs without a cMIOS. If it doesn't work, then try installing a cMIOS (you can download a cMIOS WAD from ModMii's download page 4 for installation with a WAD Manager)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wouldn't it be easier if you just bought (or illegally downloaded) the VC rom of Ocarina of Time, and install that on the wii? That way, you won't need to use any disk whatsoever.

(note that I'm a Zelda-noob. I have no idea if the GC masterquest game offers more than "just" the Virtual Console ROM).

Oh, and in case you have to answer 'no' to Xflak's question on whether your wii accepts backup disks...then you may give swiss a look. It's a way to load GC games through SD gecko. It's still beta, but already works quite well.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There should be a master quest VC wad somewhere, i wouldn't understand why not. Master Quest is the same game as Ocarina of Time, just with different layout in the dungeons, very similar to the 2nd playthrough on the 1st Zelda on NES.

If the modchip works and doesn't screw anything up, then all GC games from the correct region should work without any hassle. Probems might start if you put several games on the discs.

Sonic0509

Sometimes I'm Maryushi3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you REALLY want to use regular DVD-R (4.7 GB) then get more ISOs and make MultiBoot ISO so you don't waste entire DVD for one game (like I did once
tongue.gif
)

Symphony1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for replies. I can't check the serial number right now as I'm not home, will check when I get home.
My Wii is white, bought in Canada (like the factory legal version), chip-modded (not sure what chip, but it came with Neogamma and Homebrew), soft-modded (USB Loader using Zelda Twilight Princess exploit), and is able to run burned games on regular DVDs as well as ISOs on an external harddrive through USB loader.
And yes I have tried to spend the $10 on the virtual ROM, but my Wii freezes with black screen whenever I attempt to enter shop channel. Also the modder who did the soft mod said it will brick my Wii if I enter shop channel. So that is out of the question.

I have no problem buying mini-discs. Which version should I buy, DVD-R?

I also have no problem burning the disc to play on gamecube, as I have a gamecube as well. The gamecube was also bought in Canada, legal factory version, non-modded whatsoever. Color is blue if that matters.

So basically any method on burning the disc for my heavily modded white Wii or my completely clean blue Gamecube would be fine.

Thanks!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If a shop mods a Wii and installs NeoGamma, i doubt you have a chip. Did you ever encounter stutter in cutscenes? If yes, you don't have a chip.

Anyways, check the mini FAQ from here if you really are that unsure:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test

If you do all that, then gamecube games will work, no matter if you have a chip now or not.

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Wii can read any kind of DVD at all that means it can run Wii games, Gamecube games, and homebrew off a DVD. No need to buy mini DVDs, in fact you can burn multiple games onto one disc with the Multi ISO Creator.

Learn more about burning backups here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol