Gaming Is it legal?

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it legal to let "friends" play your games, for example, say I have a "friend" and he really wants to play a game like say We Ski which I have, is it legal to let my friend play my game if say he pays me for playing MY LEGALLY PURCHASED game?

ricky23i

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dbkdbk said:
Is it legal to let "friends" play your games, for example, say I have a "friend" and he really wants to play a game like say We Ski which I have, is it legal to let my friend play my game if say he pays me for playing MY LEGALLY PURCHASED game?
http://tinyurl.com/7ndqlm

look. it is illegal if the game is a backup, it is even more illegal if you are paid for it.

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ricky23i said:
dbkdbk said:

look. it is illegal if the game is a backup, it is even more illegal if you are paid for it.

No seriously what if the game is 100% legally owned by me as in say I went straight Nintendo of America and bought a game

Translucentbill

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it a backup (burnt to a disc) or is it a hard copy(original disc)?

dbkdbk said:
ricky23i said:
dbkdbk said:

No seriously what if the game is 100% legally owned by me as in say I went straight Nintendo of America and bought a game

Well in that case if it is the original disc, you can sell him the game and that would be 100% legal.

ricky23i

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dbkdbk said:
ricky23i said:
dbkdbk said:

you can let a friend play it and borrow but cant not let him have a backup its illegal to make a copy of games in the USA

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's called borrowing something. It's not illegal afaik. Now if he borrows a game and backs it up, that's a different story.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol its one of those GREY AREA'S! your contract in the licensing should say something about not to be loaned or lent out re sold etc etc and your sole owner of the license blah blah!

if he pays you then hes technically renting the game then you fall in the category of lease rights etc etc of which you need to obtain a special license etc etc blah blah waffle blah

RULE OF THE THUMB ... what they don't see or hear about they don't know!!!!

If you were to follow rules to the letter in these GREY AREA'S you would breach it many many times a day no doubt! ...

example .. you buy a top dvd or rent it .. watch it with your girlfriend/boyfriend friends etc anyone other than your immediate family you are then technically RE-BROADCASTING to someone who did not pay the rental/purchase price .... so you would technically need a license to RE-BROADCAST!

same reason if your recording something to dvd disk with a dvd recorder or old style VHS take it to a mates and watch it there ... by law this is a RE-BROADCAST/PUBLIC PERFORMANCE that's a liable offense!

similarly your listening to your IPOD/WALKMAN (insert name for music player here) on a bus or out and about and the person nearby can hear your music then again YOUR RE-BROADCASTING you need a license reason in a non technical way your a mini radio station who is letting others hear your paid for music without a proper radio station license !

same with at home do you like your music loud !? turn it down if the nasty neighbors report it and it went to court ..

a) its noise pollution and b) you could be liable for re broadcasting of which again your not licensed!

but those things in reality will not happen ... no one hears or reads about it but that's actually the law if you bothered to dig into it! .........

My advice ...lend yer friend it or rent him it or copy him it .... just say nothing to no one and you will be fine!

oh wait .... you wrote it here *reaches for the phone to call the FEDS* ..... NOT!

dbkdbk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
lol its one of those GREY AREA'S! your contract in the licensing should say something about not to be loaned or lent out re sold etc etc and your sole owner of the license blah blah!

if he pays you then hes technically renting the game then you fall in the category of lease rights etc etc of which you need to obtain a special license etc etc blah blah waffle blah

If you were to follow rules to the letter in these GREY AREA'S you would breach it many many times a day no doubt! ...

example .. you buy a top dvd or rent it .. watch it with your girlfriend/boyfriend friends etc anyone other than your immediate family you are then technically RE-BROADCASTING to someone who did not pay the rental/purchase price .... so you would technically need a license to RE-BROADCAST!

same reason if your recording something to dvd disk with a dvd recorder or old style VHS take it to a mates and watch it there ... by law this is a RE-BROADCAST/PUBLIC PERFORMANCE that's a liable offense!

similarly your listening to your IPOD/WALKMAN (insert name for music player here) on a bus or out and about and the person nearby can hear your music then again YOUR RE-BROADCASTING you need a license reason in a non technical way your a mini radio station who is letting others hear your paid for music without a proper radio station license !

same with at home do you like your music loud !? turn it down if the nasty neighbors report it and it went to court ..

a) its noise pollution and b) you could be liable for re broadcasting of which again your not licensed!

but those things in reality will not happen ... no one hears or reads about it but that's actually the law if you bothered to dig into it! .........

My advice ...lend yer friend it or rent him it or copy him it .... just say nothing to no one and you will be fine!

oh wait .... you wrote it here *reaches for the phone to call the FEDS* ..... NOT!

ROFL, thanks and sorry for not replying for a while,
I had to do my homework
dry.gif

sphere9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:

I've always wondered about that since I was a kid and saw the 'not permitted to lend, rent, re-broadcast' .etc haha.

Cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes