Is it just me?

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, am I the only one that finds the frequent firmware updates, CFW updates, locating files, miscellaneous problems that keep things from running correctly, and other maintenance issues that arise with a modded Switch, tiresome? I am thinking of just giving up on the CFW side, and enjoying the Switch as it is. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts!

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stay far from cutting edge. I had ReiNX, then Atmosphere FW 12, now 15. Three updates over the course of a, what, seven year console life so far?

You just miss out on the newest games until you update. Big library of other things to do in the meantime, until you feel like updating.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So, am I the only one that finds the frequent firmware updates, CFW updates, locating files, miscellaneous problems that keep things from running correctly, and other maintenance issues that arise with a modded Switch, tiresome? I am thinking of just giving up on the CFW side, and enjoying the Switch as it is. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts!
You are entitled to feel that way also to can to not update your console until is completely necessary. Or you can just take the time to read and follow instructions.

Last edited by impeeza,

bedbug1226

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I am thinking of just giving up on the CFW side, and enjoying the Switch as it is. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts!
Probably best just to return to stock if you are thinking about this.

Its just like how some people should stick to console gaming instead of pc gaming.
And no offense to anyone (seriously) but If basic computer use is too challenging, or you don't have time to commit, then dont mod your consoles or games.

I often helped people irl mod their consoles only to be stuck supporting them on every issue they had.

Last edited by bedbug1226,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand for a person who is not tech savvy, it must be a nightmare to even think about upgrading a Switch. Really, it all boils down to this: what's the most important thing to you? Free games, emulators, overclocking, game saves backup, and all the other advantages of CFW, or ease of use with nothing to worry about, just using it normally and buying your games. You could also get someone more experienced to upgrade for you, but as @bedbug1226 mentioned above, it can turn into a chore constantly helping someone who can't do anything to fix basic problems.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand for a person who is not tech savvy, it must be a nightmare to even think about upgrading a Switch. Really, it all boils down to this: what's the most important thing to you? Free games, emulators, overclocking, game saves backup, and all the other advantages of CFW, or ease of use with nothing to worry about, just using it normally and buying your games. You could also get someone more experienced to upgrade for you, but as @bedbug1226 mentioned above, it can turn into a chore constantly helping someone who can't do anything to fix basic problems.
I see. Well, I wouldn't say that I am not tech savvy, it just seems that almost everytime I try to update CFW, something goes wrong. I go by the right steps and everything. If I can get to where updating is comfortable, and am able to locate game saves and files, I don't think it would be such a hassle.
Post automatically merged:

I stay far from cutting edge. I had ReiNX, then Atmosphere FW 12, now 15. Three updates over the course of a, what, seven year console life so far?

You just miss out on the newest games until you update. Big library of other things to do in the meantime, until you feel like updating.
So, you can go for awhile without updating Atmosphere, Hekate, etc.? Is it always safe to update the OFW? I mean, does the OFW update mess with the CFW version that you are on? Another problem is that I'm not clear on how the process of installing backups, I guess nsp files, is. Despite having read some steps elsewhere.

I see. Well, I wouldn't say that I am not tech savvy, it just seems that almost everytime I try to update CFW, something goes wrong. I go by the right steps and everything. If I can get to where updating is comfortable, and am able to locate game saves and files, I don't think it would be such a hassle.

So, you can go for awhile without updating Atmosphere, Hekate, etc.? Is it always safe to update the OFW? I mean, does the OFW update mess with the CFW version that you are on? Another problem is that I'm not clear on how the process of installing backups, I guess nsp files, is. Despite having read some steps elsewhere.
Perhaps sxos would be more suitable for me because of the xci loading? Or does updating sxos require the sane steps to update?

Last edited by neko_koneko,

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SX OS was fantastic - but is now stuck, you can’t run past firmware 11 - which precludes sooo many good games since.

as for your original post….
remember the reasons you chose cfw in the first place, are they still relevant ‘/ needed?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I think it depends what you are doing on the Switch, however I update Hekate, Atmosphere and my emuNAND once or twice a year.

My emuNAND is mainly for messing about with random homebrew and Pokemon stuff, so I never really need to be constantly updating everything. My sysNAND is clean and just updates whenever Nintendo decide their is a new update.

Reactions: neko_koneko

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is there to locate, atmosphere is always at the same place, download zip extract to sd card and be happy

Can also be lazy and wait until some new game bites you, don't go for new games and stay off line and you can be happy for ever and ever just like the first day

Last edited by TomSwitch,

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it depends what you are doing on the Switch, however I update Hekate, Atmosphere and my emuNAND once or twice a year.

My emuNAND is mainly for messing about with random homebrew and Pokemon stuff, so I never really need to be constantly updating everything. My sysNAND is clean and just updates whenever Nintendo decide their is a new update.
I see. So I did find a good explanation on here about the order in which to update firmware, and it helped me to remeber how to do it as well.

I guess my only problem now is, where to see sigpatches, game saves and game updates/dlc on the sd card and installing backups or nsp files. I have read some guides on installing these files, but, like I said, I get some errors. May I ask how to tell if my sysNAND is clean? And if there if anything I need to disable before updating?

What is there to locate, atmosphere is always at the same place, download zip extract to sd card and be happy

Can also be lazy and wait until some new game bites you, don't go for new games and stay off line and you can be happy for ever and ever just like the first day
So, for new games, like how new? Is there a way to find out if a game won't work with your current version of CFW?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol