1. DynastyVic

OP DynastyVic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So I have the oppurtinity to get a secondhand official joycons but it is known to have drift issues.
    Should I bother as I know the contact cleaner approach works or is it always better to buy brand new joycons?

Joycon drift isn't permanent if I am correct?

2. onibaku

onibaku Lurker

Sweden
    Hmm well i had joy cons that suffered from drift issues and contact cleaner didnt work on them. It was still under warranty so i got the joysticks replaced. However, now that my warranty ran out i bought spare joysticks (theyre really cheap, like 1-2eur per joystick) so i could replace them myself.

I recently did a dpad mod which required me to disassemble the joycon and it wasnt difficult, did it in half an hour on my first try and it was my first time ever disassembling anything. You just have to be really careful, some of those ribbon cables are really fragile. So if u feel comfortable doing that (in case contact cleaner method doesnt work) go for it. I suppose it depends on the price of the used ones as well. Personally, I would rather pay 10-15 eur/dollars more for brand new ones (if that would indeed be the price difference between used & new in ur case)

3. DynastyVic

United Kingdom
    When you had the drift issue. Was it always constant?

4. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    AFAIK the drift might be affected by the spring tension being too weak or the carbon track for the potentiometer being depleted. The former is indicated by a lazy movement (not going back to a neutral position in a short time) after a movement on the joystick. This can be fixed by disassembling and re-tensioning the spring.

The latter is indicated by constant joystick movement and to fix it you may need a joystick replacement because the track for the potentiometer is dirty or depleted. You can try using contact cleaner and it might work. If it is depleted, then you need a replacement. I suggest you stock up these joystick parts because it is relatively cheaper than the joy cons.

Both cases need you to disassemble the joystick with a Y driver (not sure which size) to reach the joystick part. No soldering needed, just be careful with the ribbon cables.

onibaku likes this.
  5. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    you can buy cheap joystick part on ebay for 2-3$

with the rights tools you can replace the defective part easily, it's what I did with one youtube video, it's not even hard.

6. my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I bought a $14 kit that had the tools needed and new analog sticks. Took about 30 minutes to swap both out and have been working great.

Ryu Kenshin and Kanakops like this.
  7. Ryu Kenshin

Ryu Kenshin GBAtemp Regular

The most difficult task is putting L1, L2 button back to the joycon case :switch:

ChicoPancho likes this.
  8. ChicoPancho

ChicoPancho enjoys tech too much

United States
    Its pretty easy, just make sure you dont over tighten the screws when putting it back together

9. Esdeath

Esdeath GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Most probably the material itself got destroyed like post #4 said. In that case you can only really switch it out. Did it myself and it was fairly easy, just be sure to have the right screwdriver and a good tweezer to help with the ribbon cables. Didn't work for me in the end since the new sticks I ordered were faulty to begin with.
    Since then I only used the pro controller with switch in TV mode, so hopefully you have better luck with replacements than I had.

10. DynastyVic

United Kingdom
    So from what I get is that the joycons will need dismantling one day.

Is there a joycon that doesn't drift?

I know but I can't confirm but the hori joycons as they aren't using the same joycon sticks but what games really need me to go wireless or have a rumble function besides 1 2 3 switch of whatever the game?

11. onibaku

onibaku Lurker

Sweden
    Yep it was. Btw i have the Hori dpad controllers, they have different joysticks so they may be less prone to drift than the joycons but as far as i know all joysticks can eventually drift (its just it happens to the joycons way faster than other controllers). The only issue i had with the hori ones was finding a suitable case but that was not a big deal

Last edited by onibaku, Dec 29, 2020
  12. caki883

caki883 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    the repair isn´t permanent. Any dust entering the Stick can make your Joycon drift again. Repair is very easy. 2$ is a new Stick. The right Joycon has problems with flex cable. DO NOT pull too much the Joycon rail flex cable.

13. Alsusee

Alsusee Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    If and when you replace the Joy Con sticks, remember to go into the bit to calibrate the sticks and reset back to default. It may still drift a little but after docking and undocking the controllers for a few days, it should go back to normal.

14. djpannda

djpannda GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have bought a couple of messed up joy cons and replace the joysticks pretty easily. you can even spice it up if you want and buy the colored ones. I would advise you that if your a bit scared to watch a couple of tutorial youtube videos until its burned into your brain.

15. Homlet

Homlet GBAtemp Fan

France
    I have replaced the stick on one of my joycons, but I also sent an other jc to nintendo, without any proof of purchase, and they replaced it for free. Just call the customer support beforehand to make sure they'll take them but I'm pretty sure they have to.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - joycon, drift,