Hardware Is it easy to fix joycon drift?

DynastyVic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have the oppurtinity to get a secondhand official joycons but it is known to have drift issues.
Should I bother as I know the contact cleaner approach works or is it always better to buy brand new joycons?

Joycon drift isn't permanent if I am correct?

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So I have the oppurtinity to get a secondhand official joycons but it is known to have drift issues.
Should I bother as I know the contact cleaner approach works or is it always better to buy brand new joycons?

Hmm well i had joy cons that suffered from drift issues and contact cleaner didnt work on them. It was still under warranty so i got the joysticks replaced. However, now that my warranty ran out i bought spare joysticks (theyre really cheap, like 1-2eur per joystick) so i could replace them myself.

I recently did a dpad mod which required me to disassemble the joycon and it wasnt difficult, did it in half an hour on my first try and it was my first time ever disassembling anything. You just have to be really careful, some of those ribbon cables are really fragile. So if u feel comfortable doing that (in case contact cleaner method doesnt work) go for it. I suppose it depends on the price of the used ones as well. Personally, I would rather pay 10-15 eur/dollars more for brand new ones (if that would indeed be the price difference between used & new in ur case)

DynastyVic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm well i had joy cons that suffered from drift issues and contact cleaner didnt work on them. It was still under warranty so i got the joysticks replaced. However, now that my warranty ran out i bought spare joysticks (theyre really cheap, like 1-2eur per joystick) so i could replace them myself.

I recently did a dpad mod which required me to disassemble the joycon and it wasnt difficult, did it in half an hour on my first try and it was my first time ever disassembling anything. You just have to be really careful, some of those ribbon cables are really fragile. So if u feel comfortable doing that (in case contact cleaner method doesnt work) go for it. I suppose it depends on the price of the used ones as well. Personally, I would rather pay 10-15 eur/dollars more for brand new ones (if that would indeed be the price difference between used & new in ur case)

When you had the drift issue. Was it always constant?

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AFAIK the drift might be affected by the spring tension being too weak or the carbon track for the potentiometer being depleted. The former is indicated by a lazy movement (not going back to a neutral position in a short time) after a movement on the joystick. This can be fixed by disassembling and re-tensioning the spring.

The latter is indicated by constant joystick movement and to fix it you may need a joystick replacement because the track for the potentiometer is dirty or depleted. You can try using contact cleaner and it might work. If it is depleted, then you need a replacement. I suggest you stock up these joystick parts because it is relatively cheaper than the joy cons.

Both cases need you to disassemble the joystick with a Y driver (not sure which size) to reach the joystick part. No soldering needed, just be careful with the ribbon cables.

Reactions: onibaku

Kanakops

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
you can buy cheap joystick part on ebay for 2-3$

with the rights tools you can replace the defective part easily, it's what I did with one youtube video, it's not even hard.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most probably the material itself got destroyed like post #4 said. In that case you can only really switch it out. Did it myself and it was fairly easy, just be sure to have the right screwdriver and a good tweezer to help with the ribbon cables. Didn't work for me in the end since the new sticks I ordered were faulty to begin with.
Since then I only used the pro controller with switch in TV mode, so hopefully you have better luck with replacements than I had.

DynastyVic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So from what I get is that the joycons will need dismantling one day.

Is there a joycon that doesn't drift?

I know but I can't confirm but the hori joycons as they aren't using the same joycon sticks but what games really need me to go wireless or have a rumble function besides 1 2 3 switch of whatever the game?

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
When you had the drift issue. Was it always constant?

Yep it was. Btw i have the Hori dpad controllers, they have different joysticks so they may be less prone to drift than the joycons but as far as i know all joysticks can eventually drift (its just it happens to the joycons way faster than other controllers). The only issue i had with the hori ones was finding a suitable case but that was not a big deal

Last edited by onibaku,

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

the repair isn´t permanent. Any dust entering the Stick can make your Joycon drift again. Repair is very easy. 2$ is a new Stick. The right Joycon has problems with flex cable. DO NOT pull too much the Joycon rail flex cable.

Alsusee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If and when you replace the Joy Con sticks, remember to go into the bit to calibrate the sticks and reset back to default. It may still drift a little but after docking and undocking the controllers for a few days, it should go back to normal.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have bought a couple of messed up joy cons and replace the joysticks pretty easily. you can even spice it up if you want and buy the colored ones. I would advise you that if your a bit scared to watch a couple of tutorial youtube videos until its burned into your brain.

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have replaced the stick on one of my joycons, but I also sent an other jc to nintendo, without any proof of purchase, and they replaced it for free. Just call the customer support beforehand to make sure they'll take them but I'm pretty sure they have to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos