Hacking Homebrew Is it dangerous to use PKHeX to give me max items and in-game currency in Pokemon Violet?

0zilch0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to get max BP and items to my Pokemon Savefile through PKHeX on my Official Online Account by transferring my savefile onto a Homebrewed switch and using Checkpoint and PKHeX to access and edit the savefile.

Is that a sound idea? Is it possible? If yes, would I be relatively safe from a ban? What is the worst case scenario, and has anyone ever been banned or caught with such in USA?

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to get max BP and items to my Pokemon Savefile through PKHeX on my Official Online Account by transferring my savefile onto a Homebrewed switch and using Checkpoint and PKHeX to access and edit the savefile.

Is that a sound idea? Is it possible? If yes, would I be relatively safe from a ban? What is the worst case scenario, and has anyone ever been banned or caught with such in USA?
it's safe for the most part. I've modded everything all in since the editor was available and still no ban. I use dbi to transfer my save via FTP. You should be alright

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would definitely suggest against it. Generally save editing for games that are entirely offline isn't a problem but an online game like that is kinda asking for trouble.

Reactions: 0zilch0 and BigOnYa

0zilch0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would definitely suggest against it. Generally save editing for games that are entirely offline isn't a problem but an online game like that is kinda asking for trouble.
I see, do you know what are the punishments for a ban?

it's safe for the most part. I've modded everything all in since the editor was available and still no ban. I use dbi to transfer my save via FTP. You should be alright
Thanks ezkitty! One last question if you do not mind!

What are dbi and FTP?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

What are dbi and FTP?
You can theoretically obtain more of an item (even rare items) entirely offline by trading with another console, so I don't think they would ban your console for that (as it's not definitive proof that your console is hacked), they might ban your Nintendo account.
I haven't played the DLC yet, so I don't know if there's a limit to how many BP you can normally obtain offline, if so then going above that limit could be an obvious indicator to Nintendo of a hacked console, which could result in a full console ban. Setting it to something ridiculously high which would not be reasonably obtainable through normal means would also be a pretty obvious indicator.

I doubt they are going to the lengths of checking how many items and how much money people have on their save, when that stuff is largely only relevant for single player and probably isn't definitive proof of anything anyway. But you never know.

This is all assuming they don't have ways of detecting modified saves that we are not aware of. Like some sort of flag that gets set when saving normally, but not when using a save editor. Such a flag might be figured out by people eventually but there is no complete save editor that is able to edit every aspect of the save, and therefore likely nobody has figured out the entire save structure, only the parts that are needed to make the save editors work.
So even minor edits can't be considered completely safe, since we don't know if such a flag exists. Nintendo has been taking cheating in online games more seriously in recent years, mainly in competitive games, and they have some history of banning Pokemon cheaters in the past, although it was mainly focused on people generating Pokemon or altering their attributes.
But I haven't heard of people being banned in Pokemon except when they were generating Pokemon or modifying their stats (which are easier to detect), so you could consider it relatively safe based on that. It seems like we're nearly at the end of the Switch's life cycle, so if Nintendo had a way to detect minor save modifications, you would expect to be seeing a lot of bans by now, as there are many people who have been using homebrew and save managers/editors on their online sysNAND all this time with no ban.

If the hacked console is not "clean" (has traces of installed nsps etc.) going online with it is not safe at all. Your legit Switch should not get banned but the hacked Switch probably will be and maybe (but unlikely) your account too.

But how do you even plan to transfer your save file to a homebrewed switch? AFAIK, cloud saves aren't enabled for Pokemon games.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: 0zilch0

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What are dbi and FTP?
https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/releases
FTP is a way to transfer files wirelessly to your PC/Phone. You can use MTP to transfer files via USB. The tool is mostly used for installing pirated content but that can be ignored and disabled within the application

Reactions: 0zilch0

0zilch0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can theoretically obtain more of an item (even rare items) entirely offline by trading with another console, so I don't think they would ban your console for that (as it's not definitive proof that your console is hacked), they might ban your Nintendo account.
I haven't played the DLC yet, so I don't know if there's a limit to how many BP you can normally obtain offline, if so then going above that limit could be an obvious indicator to Nintendo of a hacked console, which could result in a full console ban. Setting it to something ridiculously high which would not be reasonably obtainable through normal means would also be a pretty obvious indicator.

I doubt they are going to the lengths of checking how many items and how much money people have on their save, when that stuff is largely only relevant for single player and probably isn't definitive proof of anything anyway. But you never know.

This is all assuming they don't have ways of detecting modified saves that we are not aware of. Like some sort of flag that gets set when saving normally, but not when using a save editor. Such a flag might be figured out by people eventually but there is no complete save editor that is able to edit every aspect of the save, and therefore likely nobody has figured out the entire save structure, only the parts that are needed to make the save editors work.
So even minor edits can't be considered completely safe, since we don't know if such a flag exists. Nintendo has been taking cheating in online games more seriously in recent years, mainly in competitive games, and they have some history of banning Pokemon cheaters in the past, although it was mainly focused on people generating Pokemon or altering their attributes.
But I haven't heard of people being banned in Pokemon except when they were generating Pokemon or modifying their stats (which are easier to detect), so you could consider it relatively safe based on that. It seems like we're nearly at the end of the Switch's life cycle, so if Nintendo had a way to detect minor save modifications, you would expect to be seeing a lot of bans by now, as there are many people who have been using homebrew and save managers/editors on their online sysNAND all this time with no ban.

If the hacked console is not "clean" (has traces of installed nsps etc.) going online with it is not safe at all. Your legit Switch should not get banned but the hacked Switch probably will be and maybe (but unlikely) your account too.

But how do you even plan to transfer your save file to a homebrewed switch? AFAIK, cloud saves aren't enabled for Pokemon games.
Thank you, The Real Jdbye, your explanation is very reassuring! As for how I plan to transfer my save file, I am betting on my hypothesis that I can transfer my savefile to the Homebrewed switch with the local savefile transfer tool in settings.

Similiar to how Animal Crossing: New Horizons works but without a separate software to handle save data transfers.

0zilch0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are better off trading from one modded unit to one clean/online play unit.
Thats what I was doing, but now I want BP which I dont know if there is a way to obtain through trading unless i can sell stuff to the Blueberry Academy store in exchange for BP. Then I just trade the most expensive item with legal pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch