Hardware Is it bad for a laptop for being on 24/7?

What do u think?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I donno

• What is a laptop

• Total voters

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I leave my laptop on 24/7. twice i left it on 24/7 for a month. and once 45-50 days. Same reason downloads. No probs for me. I am not using any special cooler. Of course I did leave the Air conditioning/Fan switched on in the room.
P.S. - I am not sure but i think leavin the laptop charged continuously reduces how long it can run on battery power

Yup the more you charge the shorter it lasts. And holy crap leaving your laptop on 24/7 for that long must cost an absolute fortune in electrical bills!

Care to backup that statement?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To get some facts into all of this...

Battery info: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I don't plan to bring up any points in particular, but it is a decent read for those who are unaware of how lithium-ion batteries work, and what is the best conditions to use/store them.

I leave my laptop on 24/7. twice i left it on 24/7 for a month. and once 45-50 days. Same reason downloads. No probs for me. I am not using any special cooler. Of course I did leave the Air conditioning/Fan switched on in the room.
P.S. - I am not sure but i think leavin the laptop charged continuously reduces how long it can run on battery power

Yup the more you charge the shorter it lasts. And holy crap leaving your laptop on 24/7 for that long must cost an absolute fortune in electrical bills!

Most laptops will cost around 10c a day, with the screen on 24/7 to run. Since not many people would leave the screen running for that length of time, plus any extra cpu usage increases electrial usage, My guess would be between 8-12cents a day depending on usage. This equates into between $30 and $50 a year. Is that a lot? Depends on your usage. Some people run airconditioning/heaters all year round and they can consume significantly more power.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It all depends on what laptop you use, cpu, chipset, hdd, gfxcard, etc.

My laptop currently have 6 months 2 weeks and 3 days uptime. Before that had 7 months and 1 week uptime (had to reboot because I accidently uninstalled my soundcard lol). BTW its a Dell Inspiron 500m laptop (1.5ghz P-M, 512MB RAM, Intel GPU, 60GB Fujitsu HDD). Temperatures are around 32C on the CPU, 42C RAM, 38C GPU, 42C HDD. CPU is clocked at 600MHz with speedstep on. I can also clock the CPU at 200MHz which gives me even lower temps if I want to.

http://www.diefer.de/indexe.html
Above you can find applications that may help you out. I8Kfangui is to controll fanspeed and check temperatures on most Dell laptops. SpeedswitchXP is to controll CPU clock with powersettings (if your bios/motherboard support it) for alot of different laptop brands. Great tools.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
My laptop ground to a crawl after being on for 3 days straight, I wouldn't advise it. They're not designed for that kind of usage, overheating being a key issue. Leaving it on overnight to download and turning it off while you're out during the day might be okay. Be warned though; laptop fans don't stay on permenantly so the noise isn't constant, if you're sleeping in the same room it might wake you up every time the fan turns on and off.
2.) Have your screen turn off when the lid is closed, the display drains more power than anything else on a laptop (well maybe the Hard Drive unless its SSD and what your doing, but in a normal/web browsing/Text writing situation)
I wouldn't advise closing the lid while it's left on downloading for hours, that'll act as a heat trap (feel your keyboard, you'll see what I mean)

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously you can keep your laptop on for extended periods of time provided that you are not running the CPU at 100% for the time ... that would be madness. If you intend on just dl'ing torrents or some crap like that then your CPU usage will be extremely minimal ... perhaps 2% max. Just go to power options and have your screen turn off after 5 min of usage. This will reduce the heat that your laptop gives off. Alternatively you can shut the lid, but yes, this acts like a heat trap for old laptops. I have a docking station underneath my laptop and it keeps it very cool, but it doesnt need to be run if the PC is idol and just dl'ing stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol