GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes it is still the best.
2. Generally any class SDHC is faster than a regular SD.
3. Depends on the R4, because there are so many fake versions floating around. Some will work and some will not. If not, try different firmwares on both the R4 and the Cyclo until they are compatible.

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sticks said:
By the way, if it's made in Japan or not won't matter I think, it's for your GF right? Does she intend to play castlevania:PoR or Tony hawk skating games anytime soon? If not then taiwan/china/japan doesn't matter. ;P

but she plays a lot more than me
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(DeMoN @ Nov 16 2008, 08:22 PM) 2. Generally any class SDHC is faster than a regular SD.
3. Depends on the R4, because there are so many fake versions floating around. Some will work and some will not. If not, try different firmwares on both the R4 and the Cyclo until they are compatible.

2. Really?
3. I have an original R4.

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4. is 4GB SDHC Class-6 as fast and reliable as 2GB SD?
ie: Loading time, menu interface, etc?

5. Does 4GB SDHC class-6 consume more battery than normal 2GB SD?

6. We've decided to get a CycloDS, but still can't decide whether we should get a 2GB SD (Kingston japan) or 4GB SDHC Class-6 (Trancend). Which one would you recommend?

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
utz030303 said:
4. is 4GB SDHC Class-6 as fast and reliable as 2GB SD?
ie: Loading time, menu interface, etc?

5. Does 4GB SDHC class-6 consume more battery than normal 2GB SD?

6. We've decided to get a CycloDS, but still can't decide whether we should get a 2GB SD (Kingston japan) or 4GB SDHC Class-6 (Trancend). Which one would you recommend?

Thanks again!
smile.gif
4. Might be. Classes represent write speeds, not read speeds. It's likely that it'll be at least as fast, but it's not certain.
5. As far as I know: no.
6. I'd recommend the 4 GB SDHC. It should be as fast as the 2 GB, and it's a little bit bigger again
smile.gif
However, if you don't really need the space (for example, 2 GB is enough for me), you should go for the Kingston 2 GB. The Japanese cards are really fast and good.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The class rating of SDHC card ONLY specifies that the card in question WILL maintain X MB/s write transfer rate where X is the class #. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with random access times/non-sequential performance, etc.

OTOH the higher the class rating, typically the higher the read rate as well. There are several threads on the TC forums that give various info. on a variety of uSD cards using both cfbench and computer based latency and transfer tests.

All of that said anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that class 4 and class 2 SDHC cards are generally "slower" than class 6 cards and produce stutter or crashes in the problem games, e.g. Castlevanias, Tony Hawk, etc. Country of origin does NOT seem to affect card performance as it did with the old regular uSD cards. Also IIRC class 2 is the class rating also applied to the old uSD (non-SDHC) cards.

Beyond that as far as build quality, features, and support: yes the Cyclo DS is still the best cart. The Supercard DS One SDHC would probably be second based on features and build quality, however they have NOT done much work on their firmware recently, primarily just specific fixes for specific games, plus they are still using an OLD version of moonshell for the fw shell which is SLOW all by itself and some games still have problems running on the SCDS1 with all of the bells and whistles turned on(soft-reset, direct save to uSD, etc.) while they run fine under the Evo.

I would say AK2 would be second as tied in there, but the build quality of those carts is reported to generally be absolute crap, plus they seemed to have had a series of bad batches on top of this. The SCDS1 also seemed to be having problems with the onboard PSRAM since around 12/07 but it seems to have gotten better recently judging by the decrease of posts in the SC forums. (PSRAM is used to temporarily store DS game saves to when direct save write to uSD is NOT enabled, which IS required for some games to run on the SCDS1 unfortunately.)

While I still own my SCDS1 I haven't used it at ALL in the past 6m or so...

Looking around Amazon and other places a few weeks ago turned up several class 4 IIRC 8GB uSD SDHC cards that were going for c. $15.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Votkrath said:
utz030303 said:
2. Really?

No, SDHC won't give extra speed, you gotta check the classes as well as write time on all specific cards to decide which one is the way to go.
MicroSDHC are generally newer than most regular MicroSD cards, and thus made with better quality material and will run problem games just fine.
The only thing you need to look out for are old MicroSD cards, those are the ones that will cause freezing in Portrait of Ruin. Just buy smart and you won't have a problem.
smile.gif

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Annaaaaa said:
you should go for m3real for sakura its cleaner build i media easy to use
and gets better and better

In the past I would have said Cyclo all the way.. now... well from what I read the M3 is actually a pretty decent card. However I already have a cyclo and its a great great card. Meh. Either or would be fine. Hopefully cyclos will drop in price.

utz030303

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but both me and my girlfriend don't like M3 real. Its interface is so messy, so Windows.
CycloDS somehow feels clean and neat yet powerful.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i thought they were the best
but it looks like they would rather mess about with the DSi than fix none working games for the nds (Star Wars & Chrono Trigger)

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
helpme said:
but it looks like they would rather mess about with the DSi than fix none working games for the nds (Star Wars & Chrono Trigger)

I have no problems with Chrono Trigger.

QUOTE(Annaaaaa @ Nov 19 2008, 03:26 PM) you should go for m3real for sakura its cleaner build i media easy to use

You can use Sakura on CycloDS too or pretty much any flashcard.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Votkrath said:
helpme said:

I have no problems with Chrono Trigger.

QUOTE(Annaaaaa @ Nov 19 2008, 03:26 PM) you should go for m3real for sakura its cleaner build i media easy to use

You can use Sakura on CycloDS too or pretty much any flashcard.
As i do for dpg's and mp3's.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sakura can be used only as a Media player on other carts....ONLY M3 Real (and iTouch, but with hack) can run games, and use Sakura fully, so with M3 Real and Sakura, you get far more nicer and functional cart in terms of firmware...But CycloDS is still superior with its extra features!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1