is Cyclo worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Tac 21, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009

is Cyclo worth it anymore? by Tac 21 at 8:29 PM (3,863 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. Tac 21
    OP

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I used to have the idea of getting this if my R4 crapped out on me... but it has done amazingly well.

is Cyclo... even worth it?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yes, it's still the best flash card, unless you have a DSi.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    While it's got good features, most of them are barely worth it. I don't need a battery life saver (which makes your battery last longer), personally, and some of the Wii connectivity and Download Play features it has for games are pretty worthless to me. Yet again, I play most of my games alone and always have my DS hooked up to a charger so I don't have to worry about battery. My R4 has also worked well and has played every piece of games, homebrew, and apps I've thrown at it without a single hitch. I'd rather buy a R4 and save the extra $30 for a 3in1 (which I did!).

4. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I would say that CycloDS is a top quality cart, whether it's worth the money or not, one should decide on its own..

I have CycloDS, and I enjoy it very much, I don't use any extra features, but the I like the fact that it's a quality product!

EDIT: Yeah, I do use Battery Life Saver, and it works, that probably the only feature I'm using..

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I didn't use the super fancy features like slow-mo or real time save much, but the enhanced menu, native GBA support and frequent updates were what really made me love the CycloDS.

It may not have the brilliant menu that AKAIO has, but the Cyclo actually plays games perfectly, Acekard 2i for me, it's just "off", pokémon experiences slowdown, games have increased loading times, etc.
    I suspect my AK2i is the reason I can't get wifi to work on Starforce 3.

6. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Wait.. is your r4 original, or a clone? Cause its pretty surprising it still plays all your games you've thrown at it. [​IMG]

7. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Absolutely. The Cyclo is THE BEST flashcart for DS/DSL.

8. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    My R4 has also played everything I've thrwon at it... (exceptgta: Chinatown, I had to wait for a R4 patched version)...
    My R4 is super-reliable...
    I guess it's a real one, I payed enough for it to be a real one 1-2 years ago...

9. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    It's worth it if you use the features (RTS, Slo-mo, In-game text, etc.). If you don't care about those then might as well just go for a cheaper cart.

10. tec9

Newcomer tec9 Member

Canada
    how bout a m3i zero

11. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I own a CycloDS Evolution which I bought for $62 AUS. I hardly feel it's worth the price when there are other flashcarts that are a lot of cheaper and have the basic essential features that the CycloDS Evolution lacks such as cut, paste, delete etc. Besides, I don't use the advanced features of the CycloDS Evolution very often because they aren't needed to me. I try to game as close to the real thing so RTS has never been a feature I've needed.

I suggest you really consider whether the advanced features are ones you'd actually use instead of listening to the obsessive fanboys and fangirls who yell out that it is the best flashcart.

12. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Do you plan on using the features it provides, if so, yes it's worth it. If you don't want the exclusive features, settle with a M3 Bundle, that way you get a quality cart, and GBA expansion. I'd like a Cyclo, but I'm content with my M3 aswell.

13. joe2001

Newcomer joe2001 Member

United Kingdom
    I agree, but if costs bother you try the Edge as I found it to be cheaper plus its easier to design your own skins (if youre bothered about stuff like that) or maybe as suggested by another member, the M3i Zero.

14. tec9

Newcomer tec9 Member

Canada
    whats the exclusive features on this cart not on the m3i zero?

15. Tac 21
    OP

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    GBA expansion? what is that exactly? is it 3in1 suuport? does R4 work with the 3in1?

I have an R4 (orginal "lilgit) and I have to say it has served me amazingly well compatibly wise, it plays games, homebrew and it cheats very well. I just wish (because it my nature to go against the norm) that I had something different then the "R4DS! the most known flash cart in the world!"

16. tec9

Newcomer tec9 Member

Canada
    what are the exlusive features the cyclo has thats not on the m3. i amtring to decide btween the 2.

17. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You might as well pick up the Cyclo over the m3.

My brother has the m3 and it doesn't sit in as good as the Cyclo does in your DS.
    GBA support is better on the Cyclo since it's able to save your game files and m3 doesn't.

I just hear my brother complaining about it and wishes he got a Cyclo. The updates don't come out often for games that don't work on the m3 either.

It has a better interface, but I think every other card has a better UGI than the Cyclo unfortunately!

Also, is the m3i Zero the best you can get for the DSi at the moment? I'm waiting for a Cyclo version.

18. naxsquall

Newcomer naxsquall Member

Guam
    The one thing that I like about the CycloDS is the Wii connectivity feature.

19. tec9

Newcomer tec9 Member

Canada
    so the cyclo exlusives are wii conectivity and same saves on gba sames?? these are thingsd the m3 dont have

20. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Also, an in-game enhanced menu that allows you to turn cheats on and off mid-game, enable/disable slow-motion mode mid-game, and RTS is also accessed via that menu (but I think the M3 has RTS..??). Other features include native support with the EZFlash V 3-in-1, whilst I think the M3 only supports it's own slot 2 devices (?)

edit: Oh, and if you have a game like Pokemon that can detect a GBA game in the slot, the CycloDS fully supports NDSGBA linkage as well. Meaning: You can transfer Pokemon from a GBA game with use of the direct cart or a 3-in-1, into the NDS dump on the microSD.

And Opera browser is supported automatically as well, with no patching etc. required for it to work. Works flawlessly on both the original expansion pack and the 3-in-1. Not that the opera browser is that great anyway, but while we're on the topic of 3-in-1 support....

CycloDS Evolution is the best card - those that say otherwise obviously haven't used it for an extended period of time, or at all. The one question you have to ask is whether you will use the extra features (if not, some people will recommend that you buy a cheaper card). I bought the CycloDS because although I didn't think I'd use all of the features at first, just having them there is great. I haven't regretted that decision at all.

http://cyclods.wikidot.com/reviews