Homebrew Is arm9loaderhax worth it right now? [N3DS]

Wander's Hat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an o3DS with arm9loaderhax (the old implementation, without use of the safe installer, cloud-based compiler or OTPHelper). I plan to move everything from the old 3DS to my new n3DS, for convenience. Right now my n3DS has a sysNAND/emuNAND setup like old times, but I'm considering arm9loaderhax on this console. This is mainly because menuhax is unstable when I'm trying to boot into CakesFW or use Decrypt9 & emuNAND9, and I've had a pretty much 100% bootrate when using A9LH. However, considering the recency of acquiring the console and, admittedly, the risk of bricking it early on in its life (even with the tutorials being foolproof), I've held off.

I didn't really want to ask, but I felt like I had no choice. The question I want input for is... basically, is it worth it for me to use arm9loaderhax now? Or should I wait? Experiences with New 3DS systems (particularly EU/9.2 at the time installed) would help too.

D

Deleted User

It's worth it if you have the time to spare. It took me a little over 8 hours to install it to my Majoras Mask N3DS that was on 10.7

However if you don't on backing up your keys and going completely digital with them or using homebrew then I recommend staying away from this.

While I do know you can do more with this then homebrew and backups, I'm sure you wouldn't have made this thread if you where interested in those. (inb4dontbackuppiracyisbadomg)

Reactions: Wander's Hat

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have an o3DS with arm9loaderhax (the old implementation, without use of the safe installer, cloud-based compiler or OTPHelper). I plan to move everything from the old 3DS to my new n3DS, for convenience. Right now my n3DS has a sysNAND/emuNAND setup like old times, but I'm considering arm9loaderhax on this console. This is mainly because menuhax is unstable when I'm trying to boot into CakesFW or use Decrypt9 & emuNAND9, and I've had a pretty much 100% bootrate when using A9LH. However, considering the recency of acquiring the console and, admittedly, the risk of bricking it early on in its life (even with the tutorials being foolproof), I've held off.

I didn't really want to ask, but I felt like I had no choice. The question I want input for is... basically, is it worth it for me to use arm9loaderhax now? Or should I wait? Experiences with New 3DS systems (particularly EU/9.2 at the time installed) would help too.

I'm in the exact same position as you: O3DS with A9LH done before procedure revisions, N3DS with EmuNAND that I'm nervous to downgrade to 2.1.

If boot rate is your main problem, FWIW I did this, and now have maybe 95+% boot rate on the N3DS

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-improve-menuhax-boot-rate-to-nearly-100.410738/

Reactions: Wander's Hat

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you did it once with the old methods, I'm sure you will be able to do the same with the newer ones. CFW booting via Menuhax fails a lot with N3DS. Just don't do goofed up son.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you did it once with the old methods, I'm sure you will be able to do the same with the newer ones. CFW booting via Menuhax fails a lot with N3DS. Just don't do goofed up son.

Menuhax hardly ever fails for me on my N3DS using the old payload in the link I listed above.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can flash your nand with Decrypt9? Im sorry if I dont get this.
Im saying something on cold boot like bootrom cold, for instance I hard brick but there is a recovery menu (godmore9/decrypt9) I can boot into before anything else runs and write a clean Nand and be back to a functioning 3DS.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Im saying something on cold boot like bootrom cold, for instance I hard brick but there is a recovery menu (godmore9/decrypt9) I can boot into before anything else runs and write a clean Nand and be back to a functioning 3DS.
Im not a 3ds hardware wizard, but isnt firm0 or whatever is overwrited for arm9loaderhax the first thing to load before the os?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not a 3ds hardware wizard, but isnt firm0 or whatever is overwrited for arm9loaderhax the first thing to load before the os?
I just haven't seen anything about it only talks that its possible in theory. @d0k3 I know this is super off topic but do you think it's doable at some point if you were to obtain a bootrom dump or is it not needed?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

He wants something even lower level than that, which is not possible currently, but yes, A9LH essentially corrupts FIRM0 and causes the 3DS to boot from elsewhere (it's more technical than that, but that's as simple as I can make right now).

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.