Is arm9loaderhax worth it right now? [N3DS]

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Wander's Hat, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Wander's Hat
    OP

Wander's Hat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    I have an o3DS with arm9loaderhax (the old implementation, without use of the safe installer, cloud-based compiler or OTPHelper). I plan to move everything from the old 3DS to my new n3DS, for convenience. Right now my n3DS has a sysNAND/emuNAND setup like old times, but I'm considering arm9loaderhax on this console. This is mainly because menuhax is unstable when I'm trying to boot into CakesFW or use Decrypt9 & emuNAND9, and I've had a pretty much 100% bootrate when using A9LH. However, considering the recency of acquiring the console and, admittedly, the risk of bricking it early on in its life (even with the tutorials being foolproof), I've held off.

I didn't really want to ask, but I felt like I had no choice. The question I want input for is... basically, is it worth it for me to use arm9loaderhax now? Or should I wait? Experiences with New 3DS systems (particularly EU/9.2 at the time installed) would help too.

2. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    it is worth it, but i understand if you want to wait.

Wander's Hat likes this.
  3. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Yeah. It's just so much cleaner and risk a brick once never brick. Honestly if it bricks a hardmods not that expensive.

Wander's Hat likes this.
  4. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    It's worth it.

5. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    It's worth it if you have the time to spare. It took me a little over 8 hours to install it to my Majoras Mask N3DS that was on 10.7

However if you don't on backing up your keys and going completely digital with them or using homebrew then I recommend staying away from this.

While I do know you can do more with this then homebrew and backups, I'm sure you wouldn't have made this thread if you where interested in those. (inb4dontbackuppiracyisbadomg)

Wander's Hat likes this.
  6. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I'm in the exact same position as you: O3DS with A9LH done before procedure revisions, N3DS with EmuNAND that I'm nervous to downgrade to 2.1.

If boot rate is your main problem, FWIW I did this, and now have maybe 95+% boot rate on the N3DS

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-improve-menuhax-boot-rate-to-nearly-100.410738/

Wander's Hat likes this.
  7. KaduPSE

KaduPSE Revolution and cake

Dec 26, 2015
    Brazil
    If you did it once with the old methods, I'm sure you will be able to do the same with the newer ones. CFW booting via Menuhax fails a lot with N3DS. Just don't do goofed up son.

8. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Menuhax hardly ever fails for me on my N3DS using the old payload in the link I listed above.

9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Id wait till we have a recovery menu but maybe someone can correct me on that bit

10. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    That's pretty much what Decrypt9, EmuNAND9, and to a lesser extent, GodMode9 are for.

11. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Well... o3ds could maybe have access to recovery, but im pretty sure n3ds would brick from recovery.

12. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I don't think he's referring to the built-in one.

13. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    My bad. Sorry.

14. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I mean something similar to hellcats recovery flasher for PSP or the standard recovery menu by holding R on boot and re write flash 0/1/2/3 and a clean EBOOT.

15. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    You can flash your nand with Decrypt9? Im sorry if I dont get this.

16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Im saying something on cold boot like bootrom cold, for instance I hard brick but there is a recovery menu (godmore9/decrypt9) I can boot into before anything else runs and write a clean Nand and be back to a functioning 3DS.

17. darkshadow1997

darkshadow1997 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    United States
    it is worth it as it will allow you 100 percent bootrate as well as installing gba cia without requiring to be installed on both nands but for me i am sticking with menuhax and lesshax as it stable enough for me. in the end the choice is yours.

the assaf, dronesplitter and stl25 like this.
  18. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Im not a 3ds hardware wizard, but isnt firm0 or whatever is overwrited for arm9loaderhax the first thing to load before the os?

19. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I just haven't seen anything about it only talks that its possible in theory. @d0k3 I know this is super off topic but do you think it's doable at some point if you were to obtain a bootrom dump or is it not needed?

20. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    He wants something even lower level than that, which is not possible currently, but yes, A9LH essentially corrupts FIRM0 and causes the 3DS to boot from elsewhere (it's more technical than that, but that's as simple as I can make right now).

Xenon Hacks likes this.