Is a gamecube controller required to restore NAND?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xNickx123, Jun 18, 2016.

1. xNickx123
    OP

xNickx123 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    My wii isn't bricked, but if it ever is I want to be able to restore nand, but there is just one problem. I don't have a GC controller my BootMii is also installed as an IOS. I've seen people get things like "Try harder, Hashimoto-san!", and entering the konami code or something like that. Is that actually required to restore nand and if so why?

So 2 questions
    Why do you have to enter the konami code to fix your wii?
    Do you need a gamecube controller to enter it or is there an alternative?

2. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Yes there is an alternative. You can try following these methods:

1. Using a GC Controller
    2. Using the Wii's Power, and Reset Button to navigate in Bootmii.

Power = Navigate
    Reset = Confirm
    Eject = Stop/cancel

You don't need any codes.
    Also Bootmii IOS, and Boot2 Bootmii have little difference. Bootmii IOS can protect you from everything except WAD, Region Bricks, or IOS Malfunctions. Where as Boot2 can recover the Wii as long as boot2 is present in the Wii (Not boot2 v4)

You will still need Priiloader incase the Wii Bricks reguardless if it is an IOS, or boot2.

3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The GC controller is only needed to put the Wii in restore mode outside of BootMii.

The code in BootMii is there to make you stop and be aware you're overwriting your NAND before it's too late and you do have to have a GC controller for that.

4. xNickx123
    OP

xNickx123 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    So if you have to enter the KONAMI code to restore NAND and you don't have any GC ports in your wii, and an adapter for the GC probably won't work. What's the point of having BootMii?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I saw a thread on here actually from awhile ago when they tried to restore their NAND it replied with "Try harder, Hashimoto-san!" They said they didn't have any GC ports so everyone replied with "well looks like you're fucked man". I'll try to find the thread

5. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I don't see how the navigation in the current Wii does not work unless you can't turn off your Wii, eject, reset, etc. then this would be possible to use the above method.
    You could try a Wireless GameCube Controller that works with the Wii. I don't know how well the compatibility will be though.

6. xNickx123
    OP

xNickx123 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    Alright, I'm just trying to be safe. I just have a feeling someday I will fuck up my Wii and brick it and it won't be recoverable even with the NAND. What are the causes of a bricked wii?

7. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick

You're asking a very simple question here of how to navigate in your Wii with Bootmii. I understand you are worried but controlling Bootmii navigation will not destroy your Wii, or break it. Its just like asking "If I use the Nun chuck to control my character, will it brick my Wii?"

The types of bricks are listed above, if you need it for reference I would really suggest saving the link for later if you may need it.

8. xNickx123
    OP

xNickx123 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2016
    United States
    I'm sorry for sounding stupid I am still a little new to this. Thank you for the link.

EDIT: Also I'm not scared of navigating through BootMii. I have navigated with the power button + reset button to backup my nand

Last edited by xNickx123, Jun 18, 2016
  9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    No, he's asking how to enter the Konami code to restore your NAND with BootMii. As far as I know you can't. If your Wii is bricked to the point where you have to restore your NAND you're not getting to BootMii either if it's installed as an IOS. Therefore if you have BootMii as boot2 you also have Gamecube ports. :)

10. Clutz450

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    Just curious. Are you sure you have to put in a Konami code to restore your NAND with BootMii? I ask because I've hacked many Wiis and the other day I was helping someone out to hack theirs and it bricked (first one I've ever bricked). Since we had installed BootMii in Boot2 I told him to enter BootMii and restore his NAND. He doesn't have a GameCube controller and used the buttons on the Wii to select NAND restore. He said when he selected it he didn't have to put in any code and it just restored his NAND. Just wondering where this Konami code on a GameCube controller information is coming from. Like are their different versions of BootMii and he has either an older or newer version then the one you are thinking? Thanks.

Last edited by Clutz450, Jun 19, 2016
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Only if you have BootMii as IOS, this is because BootMii IOS doesn't provide any brick protection against failed/corrupted NAND restores, so it's not recommended to restore NAND from BootMii IOS.

Clutz450 likes this.
  12. Clutz450

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    That makes sense. Thank for the information.