Hacking Is a fw 1.0 Switch still worth keeping

leondakara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks, i have a second Switch unit, on fw 1.0, waiting in the box and i wonder if it is still worth keeping it? Nothing seems to be happening on the 1.0 front anymore. The only benefit to the 5.4 unit i see, is to have a cold boot method someday, or is there anything else worth waiting for?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Of course it is worth keeping. The oldest FW has the best exploits. It will happen, once the exploit is "completely" fixed on other FWs/revisions.
But yes. You are mostly waiting for coldboot on 1.0.0. But also has some collector value.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
good question.
i have a spare switch on 1.0 never choi’d or anything and i just leave it in the box in the cupboard
maybe one day it’ll get used if the right sploit comes around but otherwise happy with everything working on 7.0.1 for now
if you have it as a spare i’d ageee with the guy above and i’d just lock it away indefinitely for now

Reactions: Deleted User

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it is worth keeping. The oldest FW has the best exploits. It will happen, once the exploit is "completely" fixed on other FWs/revisions.
But yes. You are mostly waiting for coldboot on 1.0.0. But also has some collector value.

So is 4.1.0 and possibly 6.0.1 as well.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I thought atmosphere has support for fw1.0.0 so there is no point in not updating it? Make a nand backup, install autorcm first, then install atmosphere, upgrade to fw6+ and enjoy your device.

If you desperately need fw1.0.0 you can just restore the nand backup and the device will boot without any fuses burned.

EDIT: I forgot totally to mention that you need to run atmosphere with the nogc-update option. Else your game card firmware gets updated and you can't use it on fw1.0 anymore. Since there is no way to downgrade atm it is a pretty important information.
Running atmosphere with nogc will disable the gamecard completly to prevent an firmware upgrade.

Last edited by GothicIII,

shano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah it's still worth keeping.

If you wanna get some use out of it though, id recommend making a 1.0.0 Nand backup before doing anything, then update to the desired Firmware version you like via ChoiDujourNX with Auto RCM enabled to not burn fuses.

Reactions: Jimyb3

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought atmosphere has support for fw1.0.0
Yes, it has, but many more advanced homebrew drop support for lower firmwares because they need to make extra effort to make it compatible for few people (like RetroArch for FW<4.0, which dropped JIT Support for Mupen64 and DOSBox). It's worth keeping, but using it will be more and more pointless, so you need to think if it's worth it for you.

Keigo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay, Whats the difference between coldboot and warmboot ?
Coldboot you turn on the switch when it's completely off and it will go directly into CFW.
Warmboot you turn on the switch, it goes into the original Nintendo System and from there you do some magic and then you can boot into CFW, without you needing to send a payload.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A coldboot exploit is an exploit that is done from a coldboot (ex. Fusee Gelee. B9S on 3ds). A warmboot exploit is an exploit that's done while the system is already running (ex. Deja Vu, Jamais Vu)
Coldboot you turn on the switch when it's completely off and it will go directly into CFW.
Warmboot you turn on the switch, it goes into the original Nintendo System and from there you do some magic and then you can boot into CFW, without you needing to send a payload.

Very good. Thank you. I understand.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Depends really on your needs and willingness to wait. Since that is a spare unit then it wouldn't hurt to keep it at fw 1.0. Maybe in the future the switch at 1.0 will be really valuable.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you noticed the prices a hackable switch sells for on ebay? I guarantee a1. 0 would sell extremely high. But to me the real value is in the hope of a cold boot option. If I had a 1.0 I would keep it that way until coldboot arrives

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you noticed the prices a hackable switch sells for on ebay? I guarantee a1. 0 would sell extremely high. But to me the real value is in the hope of a cold boot option. If I had a 1.0 I would keep it that way until coldboot arrives
it's also valuable because it's a beta firmware ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc