Hardware Is a drivechip worth it at this point?

atomiccow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(As a note, I have a D2B console and I was going to buy a Wiikey with a Wii clip.)

With a softmod/iso loader seemingly looming so closely on the horizon, are drivechips going to go the way of the dinosaur?

Or will an update mandatory to play certain games stop this?

I suppose I'm just looking for assurance that I'm not going to waste my money on something that won't be necessary in a few weeks.

Also, Wiikey vs Free clip + YAOSM? I have heard that YAOSM is the best out there, but I don't see any support forum, nor do I see any Free-clip support. The main attraction to the Wiikey is the easy install + updating, but the relatively nonsupporting team makes me reluctant to buy it.

Summary: Is a drivechip worth it? YAOSM vs Wiikey - how would I buy a Free-clip and flash it with YAOSM?

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We don't know anything, but what we do know, is that the main coders for the Wii scene are not working on any ISO or backup loaders at the moment and plan not to. So if you want to place bets on an ISO/backup loader which could A) brick your Wii, B) be buggy, C) be slow, then by all means do it. However, if you want something cheap and easy that pretty much guarantees your backups for life, get a modchip like most of us.

atomiccow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicandtails said:
We don't know anything, but what we do know, is that the main coders for the Wii scene are not working on any ISO or backup loaders at the moment and plan not to. So if you want to place bets on an ISO/backup loader which could A) brick your Wii, B) be buggy, C) be slow, then by all means do it. However, if you want something cheap and easy that pretty much guarantees your backups for life, get a modchip like most of us.

Well said.
I think that I'll probably get a Wiikey, simply for how much easier it will be overall compared to the Free-clip.

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
in my experience YAOSM is probably the most stable code i have seen for DMS/D2A/D2B consoles.

also in speed of updates wiikey seem to be comparitivly slow when it comes to things such as the Dual Layer Fix

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I fitted my WiiKey today. I haven't updated it yet because I need some DVD-RW's, but it's a good chip. I would recommend it, even if the WiiKey team is basically non-existent.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Software is far more easy for Nintendo to block. Since the 001-protection it seems Nintendo is unable to do something about current hardware modifications, so that's far more futureproof. And if you want it cheap, YAOSM is the way to go. It's by far the cheapest solution because it's opensource, no one is trying to make money from it.

atomiccow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason I ordered a Wiikey.
*facepalm*
I didn't realize how easy the Freeclip was.

Oh well, I'll live.

EDIT: I am intensely kicking myself for not getting a Freeclip. Should I try to return and/or sell my Wiikey so I can get YAOSM or is not not worth it?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
atomiccow said:
For some reason I ordered a Wiikey.
*facepalm*
I didn't realize how easy the Freeclip was.

Oh well, I'll live.

EDIT: I am intensely kicking myself for not getting a Freeclip. Should I try to return and/or sell my Wiikey so I can get YAOSM or is not not worth it?
Not really. There's not really anywhere that you can sell it. eBay will just remove the listing because it's promoting piracy. I've had my WiiKey for a week now and it's great. YAOSM can't be that much better, can it?

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
I installed my wiikey pretty much as soon as it came out , it works perfectly save for 1 or 2 games which im putting down to bad burns /dumps and i cant be bothered to redownload because theyre crap anyway , no point bad mouthing a chip that works and works well , yes they were slow with some of the updates but they are done now, install the wiikey it works fine.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have Wiikey and frimware 1.9s.. only game I havent got working is kororinpa PAL on my PAL console :S other than that it's very very very simple chip that does everything you need.. in my opinion the others are just "blah blah" only other chip i would recommend is the Wasabi but that becuz i had some experience playign on a wii with one and it worked flawlessly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking