Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
I've done this successfully too, and while on the process i found a way to minimize the screen wobble but not to a point that it could produce cracks.

Regardin the 20th Pokemon N3DS, i bought 2. The first one is both TN, and the second has an IPS top and TN bottom.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
On the subject of IPS screens. I recently got an n3DS XL. Not sure which screen types it's using. Could someone see if this photo is a good enough indicator? I used my o3DS XL on the left side as a comparison.

Though my camera isn't best suited for this. Perhaps side angle views would have been more helpful....

Attachments

• ScreenComparisons.jpg
    ScreenComparisons.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 793
Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Damn. I just forgot I sent off my o3DS XL to have it's nand mod repaired, so I don't have it on hand to get another screenshot. But the top screen might be IPS because it looks much better at a low viewing angle compared to my o3DS XL on the left. Not sure about bottom screen. Might be TN..... No sure.

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn. I just forgot I sent off my o3DS XL to have it's nand mod repaired, so I don't have it on hand to get another screenshot. But the top screen might be IPS because it looks much better at a low viewing angle compared to my o3DS XL on the left. Not sure about bottom screen. Might be TN..... No sure.
I actually haven't seen an N3DSXL (not LE) that has dual IPS yet.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
My camera just doesn't do this well enough. :(

But here's some new angle shots anyways. Just no o3DS XL this time as it's not available at the moment.

There's a screen protector on the bottom screen right now. Don't have one installed on the top screen yet. Ran out. :P

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 582
Last edited by Apache Thunder,

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
My camera just doesn't do this well enough. :(

But here's some new angle shots anyways. Just no o3DS XL this time as it's not available at the moment.

There's a screen protector on the bottom screen right now. Don't have one installed on the top screen yet. Ran out. :P

Based on the picture, it looks like both are TN.

But you said that the top screen is way better the your old 3ds' it could be top IPS, bottom TN

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah could be it. But I'm starting to think they may both be TN. How much is the screen supposed to change from the angles I showed? I'm led to believe IPS had better viewing angles. bottom screen dims noticeably when viewed at downward angle. It doesn't seem as bad with the top screen though but I still see changes when viewing them from the sides. It's not a big deal right now. I may perhaps get a case swap sometime down the line. Perhaps once the SNES themed XLs hit stateside I can arrange for a console swap with an SNES console with IPS screen installed. I can hope I can get this to happen anyways. It's more of a luxery at this point as my n3DS as it is now works just fine. :P

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah could be it. But I'm starting to think they may both be TN. How much is the screen supposed to change from the angles I showed? I'm led to believe IPS had better viewing angles. bottom screen dims noticeably when viewed at downward angle. It doesn't seem as bad with the top screen though but I still see changes when viewing them from the sides. It's not a big deal right now. I may perhaps get a case swap sometime down the line. Perhaps once the SNES themed XLs hit stateside I can arrange for a console swap with an SNES console with IPS screen installed. I can hope I can get this to happen anyways. It's more of a luxery at this point as my n3DS as it is now works just fine. :P
Before i slept you're here, i woke up and you're still here!haha

Anyway here's mine, I changed the top screen to an IPS screen, bottom screen is IPS already.

I would want to get my hands on those snes n3dsxl too!haha

55d8ad3a64d3f5cd30baea6130c42c23.jpg

2c597afe4544ab997cd1b84e435f9924.jpg

Its nice to have (dual IPS) but it's not really a necessity. :)

Last edited by j3yps,
Reactions: Apache Thunder

juan_3579

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly do you purchase an IPS screen for the non-XL New 3DS? Mine cracked and if I recall it had a TN, so where would I buy a replacement? All I can find is XL-sized screen replacements, but I have a Japanese non-XL New 3DS.

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
Where exactly do you purchase an IPS screen for the non-XL New 3DS? Mine cracked and if I recall it had a TN, so where would I buy a replacement? All I can find is XL-sized screen replacements, but I have a Japanese non-XL New 3DS.

Would be interested with this as well, planning on replacing the bottom screen for my n3ds

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
@juan_3579 @j3yps Like I've mentioned a couple of times before, you can only get IPS Screens them via Pokemon 20th Anniversary New 3DS.

Good luck. They're close to 500$ now.

I think you missed what i said, i already own 2 pokemon 20th anniv n3ds, one is both tn and the other is IPS top

Last edited by j3yps,

juan_3579

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@juan_3579 @j3yps Like I've mentioned a couple of times before, you can only get IPS Screens them via Pokemon 20th Anniversary New 3DS.

Good luck. They're close to 500$ now.

Oh well, I guess I could just find any screen replacement, or I could find a Pokemon 20th Anniversary 3DS and swap the motherboard or something (I could probably do the same with the Animal Crossing one). I don't mind having a TN screen, it's just that I can't find any screen replacements for the top or bottom screen at all for the non-XL new 3DS. All I can find are XL-sized screen replacements, and I'm not really going to shell out $200+ for a new screen setup.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I kept telling myself I didn't care for a while, but now I really want a system with dual IPS. Hope they decide to manufacture them with dual IPS in later batches, as I have yet to purchase a new 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...