Iphone or android? which to buy?!?!

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am going to be getting a new phone soon on the at&t network... I like games and apps as much as the next but I only see reviews of iphone apps on popular sites like metacritc, & are iphone apps also easier to find cracked versions so I can try them first? Which do you guys think I should go with? any androids that compare? I looked into the atrix, & it sounds good, its just i dont know how good the android app market is... im a noob. educate me!

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what functionality you are looking for... If you're looking for game support. Go for the Iphone. If you're looking for tons of customization (ie widgets, alternative ROMS, Over clocking the cpu,or just something as simple as changing you're keyboard layout) Go for an Android Device. I might also mention if you are an emulator guru, there are tons of SNES, NES, GBA, Playstation 1, and in the future n64 emulators available on the Android Market. As for the ability to try cracked games before buying. I would normally tell a person Android is best for that, but in your case. You're carrier is AT&T (Which I strongly dislike personally). Normally on Android devices, you can sideload apps by merely finding the file on the Internet, than using the Package Installer to install. But like I said. You're carrier is AT&T, Which does not allow its Android Phones to have this feature. This can be easily solved by Rooting (Think jailbreak) Your phone. As for Iphones, You can almost always jailbreak and install the [Redacted] app. If I were you, (and this is my personal opinion) I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S II if it is made available on AT&T. Its going to be a beast of a phone!

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iPhone FTW it is much easier to use and better lol
tongue.gif
iPhone 5 coming soon

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend Android, but NOT on AT&T.

The Amazon App Store for Android gives away a paid app for free every day.

If you're getting an iPhone, wait until August when the iPhone 5 comes out. Why bother buying an iPhone 4 now? It's already technically behind-the-curve.

EDIT: If you choose Android and want to be on the forefront of customization, get one of the Google-branded phones like the Samsung Nexus S.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone, but strangely enough, I recommend an Android phone. I think Android has alot of potential, from what I've seen, and I'd personally want to get an Android phone myself.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally cant go anywhere without my iPhone...get one, Jailbreak it...and have the best fukin phone out on the market...I will be getting an xperia play when it goes to at&t though, so I can switch from android to iPhone willy nilly...

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nottulys said:
I personally cant go anywhere without my iPhone...get one, Jailbreak it...and have the best fukin phone out on the market...I will be getting an xperia play when it goes to at&t though, so I can switch from android to iPhone willy nilly...
whats this all about? details?

& why go for android over iphone, hikaru?

Also i will not be waiting til august or so for a new phone so how is the iphone 4 behind? it still is the best smart phone ive seen

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
Nottulys said:

Also i will not be waiting til august or so for a new phone so how is the iphone 4 behind? it still is the best smart phone ive seen

Did you not read my reply? Jailbroken Iphones have lots of cool little tweaks. Android Phones will be spec giants with duel core 1.2 GHZ processors and the likes. It all boils down to what certain features you are looking for.

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I got your reply I was just wondering what the others had to say. good points though right now Im looking more for general support, its also the reason Ive stuck with windows for so long. it pretty much is always supported.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
Nottulys said:

Define what you mean by "best". Hardware wise, the iPhone 4 is a year behind the current Android competitors. (It came out last year.) It's screen is smaller, it's single core, and it has an antenna problem.

You'll buy it and then in 3-4 months, the iPhone 5 will come out and you'll be stuck with your outdated hardware for the next 2 years.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Take a look at the article on the Galaxy S II, currently the top Android Phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung...xy-s-ii-review/

QUOTE said:
For a handset with such a broad range of standout features and specs, the Galaxy S II is remarkably easy to summarize. It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period. Of course, a 4.3-inch screen size won't suit everyone, no matter how stupendously thin the device that carries it may be, and we also can't say for sure that the Galaxy S II would justify a long-term iOS user foresaking his investment into one ecosystem and making the leap to another. Nonetheless, if you're asking us what smartphone to buy today, unconstrained by such externalities, the Galaxy S II would be the clear choice. Sometimes it's just as simple as that.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
Nottulys said:

I used to be in the middle, and couldn't choose which one to get. My uncle got me an iPhone for my birthday, and I absolutely loved it, although, I ended up wanting to get an Android for the customization and themes, since I'm more about that kind of stuff, and the Android market's vast amount of unique apps that iOS lacks. The iPhone is pretty much outdated by the newer Android devices, and the iPhone 5 will probably be outdated pretty soon, as well.

K

Kane91z

If you are jail breaking get an iphone, if not get an andriod. Devs can usually get more out on an iphone due to the devices being all the same. At the same time my iphone would drive me nuts if I didn't have about 10 customizing appz form cydia on it.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kane91z said:
If you are jail breaking get an iphone, if not get an andriod. Devs can usually get more out on an iphone due to the devices being all the same. At the same time my iphone would drive me nuts if I didn't have about 10 customizing appz form cydia on it.
An Android can be "rooted", which is the android equivalent of an iPhone jailbreak, so Androids can still do some of the things iPhones can do.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kane91z said:

You've got to be careful with Jailbreaking, though. It takes time for new hardware and new iOS versions to be broken. The iPad 2 still isn't broken yet, and the iPhone 5 will be in the same boat when it comes out. (So there's a counter-argument to waiting... The iPhone 4 is jailbroken now.)

Android phones, on the other hand range from easy-to-hack (HTC, Samsung) to pain-in-the-ass-to-hack (Motorola) depending on the handset manufacturer's view on hacking/rooting. (Once a hack is found, the rooting method is usually easy for the end-user.)

EDIT: The Galaxy S II is already rootable...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1056334

And in general... http://forum.xda-developers.com is the place to go for Android (and iOS) hacks and mods.

----------

xtreme1, what exactly do you want to do with the phone, other than make phone calls?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy...