Iphone or android? which to buy?!?!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by xtreme1, May 4, 2011.

May 4, 2011
  1. xtreme1
    OP

Member xtreme1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I am going to be getting a new phone soon on the at&t network... I like games and apps as much as the next but I only see reviews of iphone apps on popular sites like metacritc, & are iphone apps also easier to find cracked versions so I can try them first? Which do you guys think I should go with? any androids that compare? I looked into the atrix, & it sounds good, its just i dont know how good the android app market is... im a noob. educate me!

2. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It depends on what functionality you are looking for... If you're looking for game support. Go for the Iphone. If you're looking for tons of customization (ie widgets, alternative ROMS, Over clocking the cpu,or just something as simple as changing you're keyboard layout) Go for an Android Device. I might also mention if you are an emulator guru, there are tons of SNES, NES, GBA, Playstation 1, and in the future n64 emulators available on the Android Market. As for the ability to try cracked games before buying. I would normally tell a person Android is best for that, but in your case. You're carrier is AT&T (Which I strongly dislike personally). Normally on Android devices, you can sideload apps by merely finding the file on the Internet, than using the Package Installer to install. But like I said. You're carrier is AT&T, Which does not allow its Android Phones to have this feature. This can be easily solved by Rooting (Think jailbreak) Your phone. As for Iphones, You can almost always jailbreak and install the [Redacted] app. If I were you, (and this is my personal opinion) I would go for the Samsung Galaxy S II if it is made available on AT&T. Its going to be a beast of a phone!

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If you want a phone that holds your hand and scolds you when you try to cross the street without permission, get an iPhone.

4. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    iPhone FTW it is much easier to use and better lol [​IMG] iPhone 5 coming soon

5. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    I'd recommend Android, but NOT on AT&T.

The Amazon App Store for Android gives away a paid app for free every day.

If you're getting an iPhone, wait until August when the iPhone 5 comes out. Why bother buying an iPhone 4 now? It's already technically behind-the-curve.

EDIT: If you choose Android and want to be on the forefront of customization, get one of the Google-branded phones like the Samsung Nexus S.

6. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Iphone or Android
    (Mac or Linux)

7. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I have an iPhone, but strangely enough, I recommend an Android phone. I think Android has alot of potential, from what I've seen, and I'd personally want to get an Android phone myself.

8. Nottulys

Member Nottulys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally cant go anywhere without my iPhone...get one, Jailbreak it...and have the best fukin phone out on the market...I will be getting an xperia play when it goes to at&t though, so I can switch from android to iPhone willy nilly...

9. xtreme1
    OP

United States
    actullay now ill probably go for the iphone on the verizon network

10. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
  11. xtreme1
    OP

United States
    whats this all about? details?

& why go for android over iphone, hikaru?

Also i will not be waiting til august or so for a new phone so how is the iphone 4 behind? it still is the best smart phone ive seen

12. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Did you not read my reply? Jailbroken Iphones have lots of cool little tweaks. Android Phones will be spec giants with duel core 1.2 GHZ processors and the likes. It all boils down to what certain features you are looking for.

13. xtreme1
    OP

United States
    yeah I got your reply I was just wondering what the others had to say. good points though right now Im looking more for general support, its also the reason Ive stuck with windows for so long. it pretty much is always supported.

14. IBNobody

United States
    Define what you mean by "best". Hardware wise, the iPhone 4 is a year behind the current Android competitors. (It came out last year.) It's screen is smaller, it's single core, and it has an antenna problem.

You'll buy it and then in 3-4 months, the iPhone 5 will come out and you'll be stuck with your outdated hardware for the next 2 years.

15. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If the iPhone 5 isn't Dual Core, it will be outdated from the start.

16. IBNobody

United States
    Take a look at the article on the Galaxy S II, currently the top Android Phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung...xy-s-ii-review/

17. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I used to be in the middle, and couldn't choose which one to get. My uncle got me an iPhone for my birthday, and I absolutely loved it, although, I ended up wanting to get an Android for the customization and themes, since I'm more about that kind of stuff, and the Android market's vast amount of unique apps that iOS lacks. The iPhone is pretty much outdated by the newer Android devices, and the iPhone 5 will probably be outdated pretty soon, as well.

18. Kane91z

Kane91z Newbie

If you are jail breaking get an iphone, if not get an andriod. Devs can usually get more out on an iphone due to the devices being all the same. At the same time my iphone would drive me nuts if I didn't have about 10 customizing appz form cydia on it.

19. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    An Android can be "rooted", which is the android equivalent of an iPhone jailbreak, so Androids can still do some of the things iPhones can do.

20. IBNobody

United States
    You've got to be careful with Jailbreaking, though. It takes time for new hardware and new iOS versions to be broken. The iPad 2 still isn't broken yet, and the iPhone 5 will be in the same boat when it comes out. (So there's a counter-argument to waiting... The iPhone 4 is jailbroken now.)

Android phones, on the other hand range from easy-to-hack (HTC, Samsung) to pain-in-the-ass-to-hack (Motorola) depending on the handset manufacturer's view on hacking/rooting. (Once a hack is found, the rooting method is usually easy for the end-user.)

EDIT: The Galaxy S II is already rootable...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1056334

And in general... http://forum.xda-developers.com is the place to go for Android (and iOS) hacks and mods.

----------

xtreme1, what exactly do you want to do with the phone, other than make phone calls?