Gaming IPad Pro astropad a good setup for learning digital graphic art?

MionissNio

OP
Trophies
XP
Hey guys, ever since apple announced iPad pro it became the first product of the company that appealed me. It seems it drawing features seem to surpass the Wacom intous it seems and can be used for other things such as games.

As my interest is in art and I am currently learning I would like a digital setup for myself, unfortunately native drawing applications suck, (God the lag on Autodesk sketchbook pro on Galaxy note) so I plan to use astro pad with my Hackintosh desktop to enable me to use Adobe photoshop or Abode illustrator. But before I spend any money I want to ask would it be a suitable setup for me as I learn? Once I have passed college Ido plan to shell in for a cintiq though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is probably still a bit early to tell but http://www.cultofmac.com/388474/apple-pencil-versus-wacom-cintiq/ at least suggests it defies the typical convention of having the latency of consumer tablets used in remote drawing capacity make it head towards the "will get you out of a bind but is not good for day to day use". If you can borrow, rent or otherwise get one to try I would be interested to see how it plays out.
Frankly I would probably still suggest that unless you need angles (pressure* and the motion of being able to draw like you would in the real world is most of what I find people need) or 1:1 on screen stuff** then you can probably skip this and go cheaper. If it is the difference between this or a wacom bamboo (or something nice from monoprice or huion) and eating then definitely go with the latter -- no drawing tablet to tablet is a big leap, after that you get rapidly diminishing returns if this is something you just want to do homework, train up a bit and use during the holidays. However I say this mainly as someone that does masking, photo touch up and some vector/layout work and deals with people doing mostly the same, if you are painting from scratch all the time then this might change. Tablets have been pretty killer for a lot of things that used to use the form factor (my favourite thus far being http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/15/speak_for_yourself_app_judgment/ ) and drawing tablets used remotely are one of the final things to fall.

*the bajillion levels of pressure that seems to be Wacom's only sales pitch (give or take them "accidentally" messing up the drivers) these days seem much like those gaming mice that have crazy high dpi where even on the lower settings a tiny movement sends it right across three of my screens.

**I find most that truly need it are pixel artists, fonts once maybe but these days are mainly vector. Your preferences are your own though and I have met people that want the thing mapped to the screen so you touch in the top left and you get the cursor on the top left. I find relative mode is what most people gravitate towards and even there they only use an area about the size of their thumbs and forefingers making a circle so you can skip the monster 20 inch things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1