Hacking ios36 freethebug problem

redia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
folks,

I need your help. or I should say a friend of mine does.

he saw me softmodding a couple of wii and thought it was easy...
unlike me he did not do a lot of reading and jumped into it.

unfortunately I do not know 100% what he did because I wasn't there, but here is what he told me.

1. he had a wii 3.3e
2. bannerbomb
3. he tried to install bootmii (because I advised him to do), but he could not install as he has a boot2v3
4. he installed HBC
5. he updated to 4.1e
6. trucha bug restorer (downgrade 15)
7. trucha bug restorer (patch 36)
8. trucha bug restorer (restore 15)
9. cios rev13a

this was all following a guide he found. and it sounds safe to me.
he then installed GX and did a few test ripping his dvd and playing a couple of games.

until then... GREAT...
but seeing he could not use bootmii he starting messing up with different nand backup tools (wiind, yawnd....)
and he did not manage to make them work.
he had a could of ideas and started having fun with this wii.
one of the idea was not too bad. as he installed preloader to "be safe"
but the other sounds a little bit risky to me (he didn't tell me until he was done)
1. run NUS, download ios36 latest version
2. install wwpacker
3. freethebug on the ios36 wad he created
4. run wad manager and install the new wad......

since then the wii is not working very well !

he can't run anymore homebrew (or at least the one he tested) the screen goes black.
even the loader (installed as a channel) is not running anymore

HBC is running.. but as mentioned everytime he runs a homebrew the screen does black.

do you guys have any hints for me to give him
I won't have his wii until tonight but I would like to get there with a few ideas.
my idea was to try reinstalling the correct ios36.
or even do a full downgrade/upgrade process.

but he tells me that he tried running everything he could (wad manager 1.3 / 1.4 / any region changer / ...)
so I am a little bit dazzled and I would love to hear that someone has a clue.

I am even thinking of creating an autoboot ISO, put it on a WBFS key... just to see if it works !! lol

thank you for any idea you can bring to the table
and sorry for being confusing, as mentioned I will only have access to the wii tonight !

Cheers,
R

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...you could try running the Trucha Bug Restorer again and using that to properly install IOS36 again in the same way it was originally done. If it doesn't work through the HBC you could try running it through bannerbomb.

Also if the HBC doesn't work and the above doesn't fix it, you could also try running the hackmii installer again through bannerbomb and reinstalling the HBC.

Edit: Also I don't recommend trying to downgrade anything on a Wii that can't do a boot2 bootmii install...come to think of it that may be why his shit got fucked up, though I don't really get what he was trying to accomplish with that after already getting the trucha bug on IOS36 with the TBR. Once this gets fixed tell him not to do anything messing with IOS's again unless it's just updating cIOS revisions.

redia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
nabster92 said:
Hmm...you could try running the Trucha Bug Restorer again and using that to properly install IOS36 again in the same way it was originally done. If it doesn't work through the HBC you could try running it through bannerbomb.

Also if the HBC doesn't work and the above doesn't fix it, you could also try running the hackmii installer again through bannerbomb and reinstalling the HBC.

Edit: Also I don't recommend trying to downgrade anything on a Wii that can't do a boot2 bootmii install.

nabster92

thanks for the quick answer.
from what I understood
hbc is working (I will ask him to reinstall just in case)
he can't run trucha bug restorer (black screen)
I will tell him to try TBR through bannerbomb

about the downgrade. he has a boot2v3... so if I am not mistaken there is no risk.. but I will look into it before trying that.

R

edit. the more I am thinking about it, the more I think that a "simple" wad-manager running directly on ios249 could do the trick (launching through HBC or bannerbomb)

redia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
wiipower helped me with this issue on another post (cboot2)

he advised me to use the wadmanager included in the cboot2 package launching it with bannerbomb.. and it works like a charm.

Cheers,
R

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It worked because it ran off the IOS used by the system menu. If you start it with HBC, HBC loads IOS36 for it, and the regular WAD Manager ALWAYS loads IOS36 at startup.

redia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
WiiPower said:
It worked because it ran off the IOS used by the system menu. If you start it with HBC, HBC loads IOS36 for it, and the regular WAD Manager ALWAYS loads IOS36 at startup.

@wiipower.

thanks for the clarification.

now I am back to my real life without having him on the phone every 10 minutes asking me if I had another idea !!! lol

R

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc