IOS 5...a bit meh?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by kiel379, Oct 13, 2011.

Oct 13, 2011

IOS 5...a bit meh? by kiel379 at 9:52 PM (3,426 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. kiel379
    OP

Member kiel379 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    for all the hype ios 5 isnt realy as good as i thought it would be, i like the split keyboard (even tho its a bit of a pain to use) and i can see how the newstand would be helpfull, tabs on safari thats good but apart from these small changes its pretty boring, i set up the icloud and they only give you 5GB and i used up 4 already, the notifications are ok but sometimes i dont realy want to know everything instantly. so as the title says, to me its a bit meh. what do you guys think?

2. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    I like i so far but i am a little disappointed in the twitter integration, but I can now use my own ringtones for my messages instead of the default ones that suck, finally more zelda treasure chest whenever I get a text.

3. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I kinda like it. (I don't know about the split keyboard, haven't heard of it. Haven't seen it.)​
    5GB extra space is simply nice. Can't complain about it. I really like the new notification center. Not only because this one is nice, but also because the last one was complete and utter shit :P
    I also like it that ios finally has widgets now.​
    Newsstand is just a really nice add-on as well​

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    tijntje_7: I think split keyboard is iPad only.

5. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    I've watched the keynote video and they said something about wi-fi synching? Just gotta plug in your iPad near your pc and synch.

6. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Meh (even though I havnt check it out I can just tell)

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    What I like:
    Twitter Integration
    Built in Dictionary
    Wi-Fi sync and PC free

What I dislike:
    Notifications only weather and stocks (can I even add more 'widgets'?)

8. clonesniper666

United States
    The wifi syncing is really cool since as long as you have you iPhone on charge it will sync when you pc is on or when you open iTunes. But I don't like how it does it every time I wake my pc up from sleep mode

9. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    Same here, I was expecting much more, looks like we still need to download the twitter app (the integration seem to be only a few extra "tweet this" buttons), so I don't really see the point.

But I'm on the overall satisfied so far, I was scared of a second "iphone 3G on IOS4" fiasco, but looks like my third gen devices are running great, even better than on IOS4 for several stuff (especially safari, js engine is much faster).

10. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    o.o Really? The thing has to be charging for the wi-fi synching? Ah well, gonna try and update mine and see how it works for us.

11. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    That is pretty much useless because when you connect your USB cable to your pc iTunes syncs your music anyway so this will only hog resources if you have from 2 sources syncing at the same time also wifi is slower than USB cable that is depending on your Internet connection but I doubt most people in America or UK have fast Internet connections.

12. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    It doesn't have to be charging for WiFi syncing. That was only for the first beta of iOS 5.

13. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i haven't really benefited from any of the new features. so it's underwhelming to me. but i don't use my phone for much.

oh and it's retarded i can't stick newstand into a folder.

edit: never mind, just figured out a way

14. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I really like the notification center (or android's status bar), i just wish i could toggle Wifi, 3G, Bluetooth, and Airplane mode up there.
    Newsstand and some of the of the other "required" apps are a bit annoying. I wish there was an Apps drawer like android so all my apps arent all over my springboard.
    Now whats this talk about widgets?

15. clonesniper666

United States
    Yes it does it even says so in the changelog and in the settings on the actual idevice.

16. Roman_42

Newcomer Roman_42 Advanced Member

Germany
    I don't do synching anymore. For the first time it works just out of the box. Google Contacts, Mac Contacts, Iphone Contacts and Ipad Contacts are all 100% perfectly synched without doing anything. Same goes for Google Calndar + all Devices and Email + all Devices. Pushing Emails via WLAN finally works. Music can be transferred via WLAN. Everything is great, no need to a synch anymore. Backups go into the iCloud, the only problem I have are the Photos. Still have no Idea how to push old Photos into the iCloud Photostream.

17. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I am also not very happy about iOS 5, although I kinda figured. I never liked 'dropbox' and cloud based storage, depending on what I'm storing
    Voice commands didn't suprise me much
    Siri is networked based. If I do not have data connection, I cannot even say play music or anything along the lines. I can however disable Siri and use the old Voice Command, either way its not something I'd use too much. It's not very impressive ATM, although I'm sure additional support will be added later.
    The voice recognization is very accurate, great for talk to text messaging and what not.
    Wifi iTunes sync, I like. Since I always have my device connected at home but do not add music to it that often.
    The custom vibration pattern that is available is interesting, have no clue when this was added to the iPhones.

If you go in settings - Notifications you can have other notification there, don't know if additional 'Widgets' are available on App store
    Is this pull down notification stuff what people are referring to the widgets?

I wish this was added also. I haven't used a iPhone in ages until recently. Is there even a quick way to toggle vibration? I believe the widgets part of the slide down notification. The weather notification is a 'widget' according to the settings menu.

In the settings on the iPhone at least it says Automatically sync with iTunes when it is plugged in to power and connected to WiFi. Not sure if you can be manually sync without charging. Or if this statement was accidentally left in but is no longer the case.

18. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    Explain, then, how I am currently syncing my iPad that isn't plugged into anything.

19. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I'm happy with it overall especially with the following features:
    - iMessages for communicating between ipods/ipads/iphones over data (and not sms only) -- i have an ipod touch so this affects me nicely
    - wifi synchronization and stuff yay it backs up my stuff automatically without a cable
    - i think thats it really... can't think of anything else that changed for me.

however I'm pissed because I upgraded from iOS 5 beta 7 to iOS 5 final this morning, and it lost ALL of my apps, music and stuff.
    All it kept is my settings :(
    I'm pissed because I specifically ran a backup, quite carefully, before I upgraded the thing. And after I restored my backup, everythings gone.
    Ffffffffffffff

20. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Costy, your not the only one ive heard of that happening to. It worked for me, but a couple of my friends lost everything :( sorry to hear it.