One Scary Lady
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gallery_24102_883_10829.jpg

It's finally here in North America -- the long awaited release of the PlayStation Vita. Join me over the next few days while I take an in-depth look at the system in a unique non-traditional review. This gargantuan piece of hardware needs an equally gargantuan amount of time to cover properly.

Watch this post -- it will continue to be updated as each section is added to the review!

icon11.gif
[topic='321217']Day 1 -- The Initial Impression[/topic]
icon11.gif
Day 2 -- The Memory Card

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its interesting but at this point i'd rather get a psp which is fully hacked. vita is an investment, especially when you consider their proprietary memory card. but i guess most gamers will view this as a possible ultimate solution, a psp/ps3/multimedia player in their pocket with a vivid touch screen.

i'm interested to hear how bloated their proprietary memory card software is and how it runs on older computers (say 1gb of ram, 1.3ghz, etc).

i grabbed the 3ds, saints row the 3rd, and uncharted 3 on launch day. i felt disappointed in one way or another by each. i think with the vita i'll really research it and try to get some hands-on time before making a decision.

-another world

Reactions: 2 people

Lily

One Scary Lady
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its interesting but at this point i'd rather get a psp which is fully hacked. vita is an investment, especially when you consider their proprietary memory card. but i guess most gamers will view this as a possible ultimate solution, a psp/ps3/multimedia player in their pocket with a vivid touch screen.

i'm interested to hear how bloated their proprietary memory card software is and how it runs on older computers (say 1gb of ram, 1.3ghz, etc).

-another world

The Content Manager Assistant is a tiny program that sits in the system tray. Currently it's eating 5MB worth of RAM on my netbook. All it does is facilitate backing up and restoring data -- it's nothing like the previous Media Go. The only other thing you can use it for is to grab system updates via your PC while the Vita is connected.

paulfalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I'm no hacker but, when it comes to hardware, I love opening up the box and poking at all of it's little doo dads! Heh, that's what I'm so going to do... despite of this belonging to my brother-in-law. >.> Also, Lily-chan!!! Did you have to charge it before you can play with it?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Wish i never read your Initial Impression Lily, I've been telling myself to hold off on getting the Vita, and now, after reading your article i'm starting to beat myself up over it

Reactions: 2 people

Mythrix

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought mine in Hong Kong in the beginning of January. :3 That said, I didn't buy any other games besides Uncharted. It certainly seems to be quite powerful, the graphics in Uncharted were quite nice! But as always, whether the Vita will be "worth it" depends on the games it gets. I'm not really interested in any of the other games that are out now for the console.

I do plan to buy FFX once it's released for the Vita! I never bought a PS2 or 1 (or PS3 yet actually), so there are a few older games that I'd like to play, hopefully they will release more of them on the PSN Store.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice post, looking forward to hear more! It's a real shame though they already stated PS2 isn't going to be natively supported, so that pretty much means no PS2 on PSV, ever....

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for me. Its nice design and sleek looking but not a good enough for me. Why ? There are not enough good games out there and the price is a little bit pricey. I dont want to waste my money over it. I am fine with many games I haven't played yet with PS3, Wii, and PSP. I am focus on them until they are finish. We should wait for next few years for better games to come. Wise decision is a important one. Right now, not thanks.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks nice, I guess. The design and the controls. And plus it has a touch screen to add to the nice UI/GUI, whatever it's called. I'm more a Ninty fan :yaynds:
(Offtopic: lol, it came out on my birthday :D )

Mr Slug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i just held a vita in gamestation, and the nub sticks were both very loose :S is that correct on all vitas or is it just because it was a show vita? and the screen wasnt as big as i expected either not sure if its because its in the shop and not at home or not as i always think they look smaller in shop for some reason and when i get home i think yer this is cool size screen lol not bought one yet though will wait and see how well it does and let more games come out for it before i decide on that.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Nice post, looking forward to hear more! It's a real shame though they already stated PS2 isn't going to be natively supported, so that pretty much means no PS2 on PSV, ever....
I don't see how this is a disappointment, I hate to compare it to the 3DS but do you see the 3DS running Gamecube games any time soon?

PS2 games are coming, obviously but they need to be ported just like PS2 PSN games.

Reactions: 1 person

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some friends of mine have it. It feels really slick and left a good impression on me. The sticks were a bit weird, but nothing you can't get used to. I'm fine with my 3DS for a while though. Maybe this summer....

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well I picked up my Vita today. Prior to buying it I had only seen pictures of it, as I sat it the car and took it out of the box my first reaction was "wow".

Its a monster in size and yet it feels really light and comfortable to hold. The screen is massive and absolutely stunning on it, I agree that the sticks feel kind of strange and a bit loose, but other than that I can not fault anything in its design. And I hate to say it, because despite the fact that I love my 3DS, in comparison to the Vita the 3DS just seems really clunky and badly designed. The 3DS just isn't in the same league as the Vita as a piece of modern technology.

So far everybody I know who has a Vita has raved about its excellence. And I fully agree with them. Make no mistake about it, the Vita is one of the slickest and most glorious pieces of consumer electronics I have ever seen or used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.