Internet Speed Not Working at full potential......

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Garchomp, Apr 24, 2011.

Apr 24, 2011
  1. Garchomp
    OP

Member Garchomp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am trying to maximize download speed on my laptop. I am connected wirelessly and i only get about 150 kb/s max. I went to speedtest.net and the test said my download speed could go up to 1.35 Mb/s, so why isnt my download speed at least 600 kb/s? Usually there are 3 computers hooked up to the internet but i dont see why the speed is so low at something like 50-150 kb/s. sometimes a xbox 360 is hooked up as well but i get excellent wireless connection with it, but i dont see why everyone pc's are downloding at such slow speeds at everything i download from any website....but speedtest is saying 1.35 mb/s or around 1,200 kb/s. Any help?

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    B = Bytes, b = bits. There are 8 bits in 1 Byte, so...
    1.35Mb / 8 = 0.16875 MB

1 Mega____ = 1024 Kilo____, so...
    0.16875 MB x 1024 = 172.8 KB

3. Garchomp
    OP

United States
    oohhhh......wow i feel stupid lol but i dont even get that? I dont know if its my torrent client i use Utorrent......i have over 100 seeds and peers to get stuff from and i only connect to like 30 and i get mabye 50 kb/s

4. twiztidsinz

United States
    Some ISPs throttle torrent download speeds, or prioritize other traffic over torrents.
    Other people using your internet connection (like in your house) could also cause slow downs.

Another thing is, with torrents the ratio of seeds:Peers is usually more important for speed than the number of peers itself.
    We'll say you have what you said above: 30(100) seeds -- 100 seeds in the pool/swarn, and you're connected to 30. Which isn't bad and is common on many torrents.
    If there are 100 total peers or less, you'll almost assuredly get your max speed.
    If there are 200 total peers or less, you'll probably get your max speed, at least after a little while.
    More than that, say 1000 total peers and you'll be getting slower speeds as people fight for slots.

I'm in the same boat... I get 180kb/s download max, 45kb/s upload max.
    However, I have to throttle my torrents to 160kb/s down and 30~35kb/s up otherwise I get a poor connection.
    That could also be your problem: You're not configured properly. You usually want to limit yourself to 90% of your download speed (OK to round up to nearest 5kb/s if you want) and 75%(?) of your upload speed (round down to nearest 5kb/s if you want).

5. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Wireless connections are not always as stable as a LAN connection. So yes, SpeedTest says you should get 173KB/s but the connection may vary based of distance and other factors. 150KB/s out of 172KB/s isn't that bad. If you'd like to test it to its full potential, go start download at Ubuntu.com for a LiveCD download. You can stop once you reach your max as their servers are usually pretty well supplied with bandwidth.

6. Garchomp
    OP

United States
    ok thanks twinz i see what ill have to do to keep my download at a decent speed.....tyvm

Edit: so with a .36 MB/s upload speed what which speed would be good to use?

7. twiztidsinz

United States
    I'm guessing you mean .36Mb, since .36MB = 368.64KB/s.

.36Mb / 8 = 0.045 x 1024 = 46.08KB/s, same as mine.
    The formula says you should set your speed to something like 32.8KB/s or lower, but I do fine with 35KB/s so that's what I'd recommend. If you see an improvement keep it, if not drop it down to 30~32KB/s.

8. Garchomp
    OP

United States
    ok tyvm twinz its lucky i have someone with about the same speeds as me lol