• Replies 164
  • Likes 1

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's the SSD. To get 1Gbps you need more than a mechanical hard drive, but my current SSD is speed limited to SATA2 speeds due to my motherboard. And that's seemingly what's causing me to miss 300Mbps from my download speed. Or, at least that's what my ISP told me.
Your ISP is a lying piece of shit if they're telling you that your data drive has anything to do with your internet speed

Reactions: Deleted-379826

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not complaining.

5538793993.png

Reactions: Deleted-379826

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

At a little past peak hours, so it's higher at other times in the day. Man, I wish Google Fiber would come to Seattle. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat.

Huh, same ISP as me it seems, wish I had Google Fiber, but they won't bring it in this city because the higher ups are stingy little punks lol

5541613305.png

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, same ISP as me it seems, wish I had Google Fiber, but they won't bring it in this city because the higher ups are stingy little punks lol

5541613305.png

Keep in mind Ethernet v. Wireless & Router speeds matter, too. We both probably have the same plan, too, since our speeds are kinda similar.

And gosh, don't you hate it when cities get lobbied by crappier ISPs?

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind Ethernet v. Wireless & Router speeds matter, too. We both probably have the same plan, too, since our speeds are kinda similar.

And gosh, don't you hate it when cities get lobbied by crappier ISPs?

Well yes, it's annoying, I used to live in the town next to the one I live here in an apartment complex, and that city has Google Fiber, and is one of the few cities that actually has it; this city has the infrastructure, they just don't want to sell it to Google and if someone wants it bad enough for an area, they have to pay a $3000 construction fee for them to come out and do what they call a "buildout" for a specific area. So yeah, it really sucks, but Xfinity is better than the alternative ISPs in this town.

Using a wireless router/modem combo with a dual band wireless adapter since I have my PC upstairs.

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a helluva lot faster than what I get.
I live in a suburban area. We only started getting that speed just recently (Year or two), because we were stuck with At&t and their "High Speed" DSL. It helps that it's 1AM and I'm the only one awake in my house. It really just depends on what happens where you live. Honestly, I think that cities should get priority for fiber internet, but there's the people that don't want that. :(

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Well yes, it's annoying, I used to live in the town next to the one I live here in an apartment complex, and that city has Google Fiber, and is one of the few cities that actually has it; this city has the infrastructure, they just don't want to sell it to Google and if someone wants it bad enough for an area, they have to pay a $3000 construction fee for them to come out and do what they call a "buildout" for a specific area. So yeah, it really sucks, but Xfinity is better than the alternative ISPs in this town.

Using a wireless router/modem combo with a dual band wireless adapter since I have my PC upstairs.

Huh... yeah. I mean, I guess if you rallied a bunch of support and got people across the city to pitch in? Dunno how well that'd work, but hey, worth a shot maybe? x3
Is the city charging you $3000 or Google?

And yeah, Xfinity is pretty good. Seattle has a lot of CenturyLink influence (Seahawks' stadium is called CenturyLink Field, not a coincidence). We have their 1 Gigabit fiber lines, which are just as fast as Google Fiber, I believe. Maybe I'll switch sometime. But yeah, that effectively means no Google Fiber in Seattle ever x3
Don't exactly want to switch, because I save more money with Comcast's bundles, and 1 Gig speeds are very expensive x3
My current speeds are sufficient and I've had no problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)