Country
Portugal
Last edited by Windows_10_User,

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I saw some videos of OPL working in PS3. Maybe it only works in PS3 Fat?
Yes only for backwards compatible PS3 Fat consoles.........

There are 3 PS2 emus in the latest PS3 firmwares:
ps2_emu.self (with USB support) <--- for COK-001 motherboards
ps2_gxemu.self (with USB support) <--- for COK-002 motherboards
ps2_netemu.self (without USB support) <--- for all the other motherboards
COK-001 motherboard have the PS2 EE+GS, so the emulation is made 99% by hardware
COK-002 motherboard have the PS2 GS only (Not the EE), so the emulation is made 50% by hardware
The other motherboards doesnt have the PS2 EE+GS, so the emulation is made 100% by software
OPL only works in the PS2 emus with USB peripheral support (ps2_emu.self & ps2_gxemu.self)
In ps2_netemu.self they removed the USB and network support

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes only for backwards compatible PS3 Fat consoles.........

There are 3 PS2 emus in the latest PS3 firmwares:
ps2_emu.self (with USB support) <--- for COK-001 motherboards
ps2_gxemu.self (with USB support) <--- for COK-002 motherboards
ps2_netemu.self (without USB support) <--- for all the other motherboards
COK-001 motherboard have the PS2 EE+GS, so the emulation is made 99% by hardware
COK-002 motherboard have the PS2 GS only (Not the EE), so the emulation is made 50% by hardware
The other motherboards doesnt have the PS2 EE+GS, so the emulation is made 100% by software
OPL only works in the PS2 emus with USB peripheral support (ps2_emu.self & ps2_gxemu.self)
In ps2_netemu.self they removed the USB and network support

And does it require Swap Magic and/or physical modifications?

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you mean by hardware modifications......there are none.

PS2 placeholder is what you use when you mount a ps2 iso with cobra....

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What do you mean by hardware modifications......there are none.

PS2 placeholder is what you use when you mount a ps2 iso with cobra....

If the console involves unscrewing and soldering. I'm asking this because I read the Swap Magic PS2 Developer Wiki page and it says small modifications have to be made to prevent the system from detecting the drive being opened.

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If one needs to open the console and do some changes. I'm asking this because I read the Swap Disc Wikipedia page and it's said for it to work in the PS2 one neda to modify it.

What do you mean? I never used that. I'm able to play PS2 games using webMAN MOD, multiMAN, sMAN, ManaGunZ and IRISMAN.
Yes but your main question refers to the ps3 and not to the ps2. . . . . For example, if you want to exchange the swap magic with a burned game you just have to make slight modifications to the dvd drive to exchange the disc (this is nowadays completely obsolete. . . . because the playback of backups via hdd etc. is a lot more comfortable)
But if you just want to start opl or for example install fmcb on a mc you just need the swapmagic and a usb stick (for fmcb there are also other methods . . .but here it’s just about the principle).

if you use webmanmod etc. your iso is mounted by ps2 placeholder. . . . . . . . . .:rolleyes:

But in general you make it too hard for yourself. . . . . . if you want to play ps2 games without big compromises, a PS2 console is still the best option

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes but your main question refers to the ps3 and not to the ps2. . . . . For example, if you want to exchange the swap magic with a burned game you just have to make slight modifications to the dvd drive to exchange the disc (this is nowadays completely obsolete. . . . because the playback of backups via hdd etc. is a lot more comfortable)
But if you just want to start opl or for example install fmcb on a mc you just need the swapmagic and a usb stick (for fmcb there are also other methods . . .but here it’s just about the principle).

if you use webmanmod etc. your iso is mounted by ps2 placeholder. . . . . . . . . .:rolleyes:

But in general you make it too hard for yourself. . . . . . if you want to play ps2 games without big compromises, a PS2 console is still the best option

I thought the same went for the PS3 and it seems backup managers (like webMAN MOD, multiMAN, IRISMAN, ManaGunZ, etc.) can directly run OPL ISOs (I didn't even know they existed) so a SwapMagic disc or ISO (I didn't even know the latter existed, as well) isn't needed, after all, but it seems OPL's PS2 game compatibility on the PS3 is as low or even lower than on the PS2 and if running PS2 games via USB, the speed is still USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0 since USB 1.1 is emulated, so PS2 games lag (especially in FMVs). It seems they also lag if ran via SMB, although less (like on the PS2).

Anyway, it's possible to run PS2 games outside the latter's HDD/eMMC/SSD/SSHD (unlike if running them via webMAN MOD, IRISMAN, multiMAN, ManaGunZ, etc.) if running OPL on the PS3, the PS3 doesn't need physical modifications to run OPL and only the CECH-B, CECH-A, CECH-C and CECH-E (PS3 Fat) models are compatible with OPL. It seems a Swap Magic disc may be used to run OPL's ELF in OFW and CFW and a Swap Magic ISO may be used to run OPL's ELF in CFW.

So, IRISMAN also has a PS2 placeholder (and a PS1's and a PSP's)?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because many have already reported that more than 1TB cause stability problems......

and as far as I know, only a maximum of 1.5TB is possible
That's why I inserted a 1.5TB HDD to one of my PS3s, another PS3 with 1TB, and the current one I use with 700GB.

While it's nice to have tons of space, it's better to just have the games I actually want to play than nearly everything.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, no probs, as it doesn't go above the limit.

But @xoINARIox said problems may arise if using over 1 TB HDDs. Anyway, I guess the risk was worth it and a 1.5 TB HDD should have been bought instead of a 1 TB one because it's not known if it will fit all the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games I want.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the logic would be the same.

I don't use webMAN MOD because it always freezes my PS3 but since I have Cobra and use IRISMAN do I use the PS2 Placeholder? I thought the PS2 Placeholder was a separate PKG like IRISMAN, multiMAN, webMAN MOD, etc., but after all it comes Cobra/webMAN MOD?
With cobra, you don't need placeholder. Just use iso.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr