Hacking Internal memory enough?

Thauner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hello forum and guys. I'm new here, have been reading on the forum for about a week now :)
I'm getting a wii U for my young brother, and I want to set it up for him with the games he wants before giving it to him.

I bought a 32gb deluxe kit, and he wants to play Mario world 3D, new super Mario bros U + Luigi, tekken and Mario maker. He's a big Mario fan, so I might put some snes, nes games on too.

Is the internal memory with 32gb enough for these game titles?
He won't be installing more games, because he can't do it himself :D

Thanks in advance!

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 3D World = 1.8GB
New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi = 15GB
Tekken = 16GB
Mario Maker = 1GB

So no, it wont fit. Better buy a 128GB Flash Drive

Thauner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Wow, thank you both for the quick answers!

Would it be better to buy an SD card with 128gb and use that for both hacking and games?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be better to buy an SD card with 128gb and use that for both hacking and games?
The SD care will only be used for hacking and installing games.
You will need a USB drive to store the installed games.

Thauner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
That will work for Loadiine games, but for them to be on the menu, you need a USB storage device.

Well okay, I have an old external 2.5 disc, think it's 250-500gb, will give him that.

He need to acces the games from menu. His only 8 :)

How big SD cards do I need to hack it if I don't want to take nand dump?

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well okay, I have an old external 2.5 disc, think it's 250-500gb, will give him that.

He need to acces the games from menu. His only 8 :)

How big SD cards do I need to hack it if I don't want to take nand dump?
32GB is fine

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then the only big game is tekken, it might work? Any links to find how much space different games occupie? :)
I'm going to assume that you're not using the eShop (because a retail copy would be cheaper)

Wii U USB Helper tells you all about the file size of anything you download - games, DLC, and patches. The games you mentioned should fit on the Deluxe Edition NAND, provided you use NSMBU with the Luigi DLC, rather than the compliation copy.

As for retro games, I would recommend considering RetroArch. While the Virtual Console is easier to install and use, especially for a child, LibRetro cores usually boast superior emulation, and can run practically any game out there with a plethora of settings, cheat support, and even Cheevos. And since you need a good SD Card to install WUP packages (in anything even remotely approaching a timely fashion) anyway, it's still there.

Unless you want to take it back post-install. Like I said, don't knock the Virtual Console, it works just fine.

Last edited by N7Kopper, , Reason: Forum's sappin' mah markup!
Reactions: Thauner

Thauner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I'm going to assume that you're not using the eShop (because a retail copy would be cheaper)

Wii U USB Helper tells you all about the file size of anything you download - games, DLC, and patches. The games you mentioned should fit on the Deluxe Edition NAND, provided you use NSMBU with the Luigi DLC, rather than the compliation copy.

As for retro games, I would recommend considering RetroArch. While the Virtual Console is easier to install and use, especially for a child, LibRetro cores usually boast superior emulation, and can run practically any game out there with a plethora of settings, cheat support, and even Cheevos. And since you need a good SD Card to install WUP packages (in anything even remotely approaching a timely fashion) anyway, it's still there.

Unless you want to take it back post-install. Like I said, don't knock the Virtual Console, it works just fine.

Yeah okay, I saw the guide on how to download games with wii usb helper. Must try that later. The wii will arrive on wednesday, so I got myself some time to collect what I need :)

For the retro gaming, I really wanted it to be the easy way, with the vc games like on his old wii. So he can click open from wii menu also.

I have to order a 32gb sd card with mail, if that's needed to copy games. As the ones I have is 16gb. Will I be able to hack and get the wii u ready with the 16gb card? (as I understand it, it's only the tekken game that I can't install because of its size).

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah okay, I saw the guide on how to download games with wii usb helper. Must try that later. The wii will arrive on wednesday, so I got myself some time to collect what I need :)

For the retro gaming, I really wanted it to be the easy way, with the vc games like on his old wii. So he can click open from wii menu also.

I have to order a 32gb sd card with mail, if that's needed to copy games. As the ones I have is 16gb. Will I be able to hack and get the wii u ready with the 16gb card? (as I understand it, it's only the tekken game that I can't install because of its size).
you can hack it even with 4GB :) the only concern about sd card size are when installing games

Thauner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
you can hack it even with 4GB :) the only concern about sd card size are when installing games

Just to be clear :)
Would that mean I can do everything with a small sd card, and then to transfer the tekken game - just borrow a card with 32gb and return to owner after that's done?
Or does it have to be same card as hacked it?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just to be clear :)
Would that mean I can do everything with a small sd card, and then to transfer the tekken game - just borrow a card with 32gb and return to owner after that's done?
Or does it have to be same card as hacked it?
Yes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol