Hardware Intermittent Joycon Lagging

echan42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My switch is having some issues with the joycons, this happens on both pairs of Joycons I own and on both cfw and ofw, currently on 12.1 fw andI've noticed it since 11.

Sometimes when I press a button on my right Joycon absolutely nothing will happen and other times when I press a button it will remain held (not phisycally) for a few seconds.
For example, I'm playing No More Heroes 3 and I'll mash attack button but no attacks will be launched, then as I begin to move my character a charged up attack will start, the same effect as if I had held my attack button.

I've unplugged both my routers, one is in the same room as the switch and I've got nothing in between the switch and the joycons, 5m away from eachother.

I've never done any hardware modifications to my system or the joycons.

Any ideas?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So from that it sounds like it's at the Bluetooth level of the system, rather than a level beyond that where all controllers are handled. Can't say for sure if it's hardware or software. Have you googled to see if anyone's had similar issues? See if you can find out if it's a known issue by Nintendo. Is it under warranty?

echan42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did this

Fixing Joy-Con Lag Problems
  1. Go to System Settings.
  2. Scroll down to Controllers and Sensors.
  3. Select Disconnect Controllers.
  4. Confirm your choice and wait until the message All controllers have been disconnected appears on the screen.
  5. You need to detach your controllers from the console.

Lagging is back

zediiiii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I often have severe interference with USB 3.0 enabled in ams, but since its ofw as well, my guess would be other wireless devices interfering or hardware malfunction. Try a cold boot of the tablet. Also fwiw, the latest hos included an update for Joycons.
Same issue for me -- intermittent lag, but it's tough to reliably reproduce it on demand. Updating firmware doesn't fix it. Example, I'll press the "jump button" in Yoshi's crafted world a few times in a row, and the fifth time I press it, it's like the input freezes for a moment (jump is held much longer than I pressed it) and doesn't catch back up for 500-750 ms or so. Joycons are paired wirelessly, and my network is wired at home so not a lot of interference. Sitting about 10 ft away with clear line of sight.

zediiiii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same issues after unpairing, turning off, and repairing. I'm purchasing some conductive foam and a Y00 Tri-wing driver and trying out the conductive foam fix.

Last edited by zediiiii,

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
My recommendation would be to take your Switch elsewhere, like a park or something, and try out if the problem persists. If it does, the Bluetooth antenna might be failing and it would require a very convulted repair, if it doesn't, there's something where your usually play causing interference. Try checking other Bluetooth devices nearby to disable them one by one and see who's the culprit.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am having the same issue with my Right JoyCon and input lag. I noticed it mainly when Switch is docked. It is happening with my hacked switch and since I keep system offline, I wouldn't be able to update joycons. Is it worth buying another R Joycon? If yes, does it need to be updated (the joycon)? Help appreciated :)

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joycon updates are rolled into the system updates/official firmware, if you are keeping up with those (with daybreak or choi-dujour or whatever), you can attach your joy-cons and go into settings to force a joy-con update if available.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joycon updates are rolled into the system updates/official firmware, if you are keeping up with those (with daybreak or choi-dujour or whatever), you can attach your joy-cons and go into settings to force a joy-con update if available.
Where do I go in Settings for Joycon update? Do I need to be connected to internet? Should I buy another R Joycon?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System Settings -> Controllers and Sensors -> Update Controllers

You don't need an internet connection while doing this. You just need to keep your official firmware updated (however you do that) and can then download the updates into joy-cons attached to the system. You can run custom firmware (or not) while doing this.

ShidoNyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My switch is having some issues with the joycons, this happens on both pairs of Joycons I own and on both cfw and ofw, currently on 12.1 fw andI've noticed it since 11.

Sometimes when I press a button on my right Joycon absolutely nothing will happen and other times when I press a button it will remain held (not phisycally) for a few seconds.
For example, I'm playing No More Heroes 3 and I'll mash attack button but no attacks will be launched, then as I begin to move my character a charged up attack will start, the same effect as if I had held my attack button.

I've unplugged both my routers, one is in the same room as the switch and I've got nothing in between the switch and the joycons, 5m away from eachother.

I've never done any hardware modifications to my system or the joycons.

Any ideas?
hello very good and happy new year, did you solve your problem? I have the same problem but something curious to highlight, the input lag of my joycons only happens in Emunand connected to the dock, but it does not give me any input lag in original firmware, both in portable mode and in dock mode, it works perfectly even if I do not have any input lag in emunand portable mode, but if in dock in emunand, although it also happens to me on pc in input lag but there is a solution at least, I already did everything, even just put clean ambient without any service and the problem persists, I clarify that this It only happens in Emunand in Dock mode, you could try to do what I did for you to discard, but I would like if you found a solution, since I have one but I haven't tried it

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm lucky with no lag or drifting with my joycons. I played most of odyssey with them, as well as skyward sword, though not far into sword.

ShidoNyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess I'm lucky with no lag or drifting with my joycons. I played most of odyssey with them, as well as skyward sword, though not far into sword.
That same thing happened when I bought my switch the first time and second hand with cfw, I could play without any lag and I could even use it on the PC and it was the best without any input lag and with the best gyroscope, but in this last year (2022) noticed delay in both the right and left joycon, and there is almost no way to fix it, well at least on pc with a good bluetooth with antenna, but on switch emunand who knows, the same thing could happen to you so enjoy them while you can xd

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1