Hardware Integrated or Dedicated?

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega noob question you've probably already saw a hundred times, but... I have a fresh new MSI GS63 that I bought about 12 hours ago from Best Buy, and as far as I understand, the little LED light is supposed to be orange when it's using the dedicated graphics, and white if it's using the integrated?

But, for some reason, that little light is red instead of white on mine. I am unplugged, and it's at 65% battery life currently (because I'm at school at the moment, during the hour long break between my classes), if it matters, but I have seen it go orange a few times last night while playing around with it, signalling that it's using the dedicated graphics card, and then back to red when it's done. Haven't had it go white yet... unless I mixed up some things and it is supposed to be red when using the integrated graphics? :s Or maybe it's another MSI model that I'm thinking of? I know the GS65 Stealth Thin Pro goes white with the integrated graphics, but not sure about the GS63 Stealth. But it does switch fine as it should despite that, orange when it's running the little test preview in the Nvidia control panel and... red when it isn't. A clear answer (preferably from another MSI owner) to assuage my fears are appreciated, I'm new to these high-end gaming laptops, I gotta baby this one a bit so it'll last me a long while!

So far, though, it's been a really nice ride! Got my Steam account set up, got my eBooks for school downloaded, pretty much most of what I need to set up's been done, just some little tweaking here and there now.

Last edited by Steel-Winged_Pegasus,

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is download the manual from MSIs support page? I honestly didn't know they had an indicator LED to show that, but if they do then that's cool

Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier, but I just did that and it does say, in the manual, that this particular model does flash red on the LED light when using the integrated graphics card! :) I do find the choice of color a bit confusing, you'd think it'd be easier to distinguish white from orange than red to orange, but it's how MSI does it, so I just gotta roll with it. Must be the GS65 that flashes white, then.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them