LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lexip; said:
would be a lot easier to use an existing protocol. MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc. That way you can chat to people on not just wii's, but whatever supports that protocol. I don't really see the point in having it unless yout could run it on top of another app.

...You would be surprised at the ammount of time some of us spend on messenger alone. Shoot, I'd rather be using messenger on my Wii which will max at 24 watts then on my PC which could max out at 400 watts. Thats a decent ammout of electricity and money saved.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
i think its agreat idea,! i thought of this before and thought it wasnt necessary, but it could come in handy
smile.gif
and yes too many people are against the wii getting any better. i made a post about how make the wii better 2 days ago and everyone was saying :it's simply imposible." even though systems liek the psp can do some of what i stated.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im glad to see that there is some support for my idea. In case any of you are wondering what I am doing. Im am currently working on the artwork for the menu. I dont expect the first bit to make a huge impression and also it will be on "paper" format. I'm a firm believer of having hard copies of the artwork before ever going digital. It gives me time to think of ever aspect of the project. Dont worry I WILL have pictures uploaded but as I said, the first bit of art is to only give a idea of the direction I would like to go with the menu.

thebobinc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LightyKD said:
Lexip; said:
would be a lot easier to use an existing protocol. MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc. That way you can chat to people on not just wii's, but whatever supports that protocol. I don't really see the point in having it unless yout could run it on top of another app.

...You would be surprised at the ammount of time some of us spend on messenger alone. Shoot, I'd rather be using messenger on my Wii which will max at 24 watts then on my PC which could max out at 400 watts. Thats a decent ammout of electricity and money saved.

dude you will save maybe a buck or two a year
tongue.gif

i'm sure your not that poor if you own an wii and and a pc ,
tongue.gif

but it will be a nice feature you are right , many people would profit of being able to chat from there wii, not every one that as access to a pc at the same time as there wii, thinking about kid or teenager,

him pretty sure something like ebbudy would be a good solution , since you can have yahoo, msn , ect , would juste need to do an port for wii, that would include Wii friend code chat ,

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would only likely be useful if it complements another application. Instant Messaging isn't seen as a primary thing to do as you use it when you're doing other stuff at the same time. Since the Wii could hardly multi-task like the 360 (I don't know what the xbox menu is called) and PS3 (in-game XMB), we most likely won't see something like that from happening anytime soon.

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a lone Instant Messaging program.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
And USB keyboard support, typing with the wiimote is a pain.

I plan to make a UI for both type of inputs. You never know when someone forgets to plug in a USB keyboard and it goes along with Nintendo's philosophy of making the Wii Remote the center of your Wii experience.

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
Useless idea.

Just install Pidgin on your computer.

You are useless. Just because YOU cant do it doesnt mean its stupid, guaranteed if it gets released your lame ass would have it
enjoy flaming punk, ill never read it anyway

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
bugaveli said:
Arm the Homeless said:
Useless idea.

Just install Pidgin on your computer.

You are useless. Just because YOU cant do it doesnt mean its stupid, guaranteed if it gets released your lame ass would have it
enjoy flaming punk, ill never read it anyway

the fact u replied, means you read it lol

FAIL

t7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet is to somehow base it around a very minimalistic version of wii linux or simply use wii linux.

Cause you're gonna have to write the protocol interfaces (unless you port libpurple to wii) and the window manager, and all the ui related stuff.

It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, but I really don't think anyone is going to take the effort to reduplicate that all in a wii friendly format, but I could be wrong.

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
t7g said:
Your best bet is to somehow base it around a very minimalistic version of wii linux or simply use wii linux.

Cause you're gonna have to write the protocol interfaces (unless you port libpurple to wii) and the window manager, and all the ui related stuff.

It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, but I really don't think anyone is going to take the effort to reduplicate that all in a wii friendly format, but I could be wrong.
Finally someone realized that there was a catch being this... :wtf: As said t7g, it would be very hard to do as nothing usefull for the basics of an IM has been ported to the Wii. You'd need someone that understands both C and who understands how IM protocols work to get this working. This would be very hard and quite useless as all you could do would be to mod the internet channel so that it'd have an IM website as a homepage and modded banner to work the same as a real IM for the wii.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
piratesmack said:
Would it be possible to port libpurple to the Wii and make a nice GUI for it with lbwiigui?

Using linux i've already had a IM program running, i've managed to Openbox and lxpanel running aswell all be it at a crappy resolution but its working

no wifi obviously but a usb wifi adapter works just fine using wicd

once i get a few other things fixed (like remastering with a new PPC kernel) which i'm working on now i'll be posting my findings in the coming days..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme