Instant Messneger Channel on Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LightyKD, May 25, 2009.

May 25, 2009
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I know the first few responses will be something along the lines of...

1) Do it yourself...

2) It's not practical

3) Oh no! The Wii cant do it because of X, Y and Z (When we ALL know it CAN but you have people who hate on the Wii so much they hate to see the little white box make ANY progress)

What I'm saying is... wouldnt it be nice to have a Instant Messenger app for the Wii, eventually make a channel out of it and make it something that deserves to be on the System Menu with the other important and worthy Wii Channels. This would also be a good reason to try to get webcam support out of the Wii. Maybe test the feature with the PS2 Eyetoy, since they are so easy to pick up ($3.99 @ Game Crazy). I'm just saying. The Idea would give the Wii something that the other systems DONT have. A way to use Im that native to the console and I'm not talking about X-Box Live Contacts or PSN contact but Actual AIM and Yahoo contacts. We can even all a little extra Wii-ness to it and have it where, you can have a Friend Code list for all of your contacts so that way you can always input their codes into the respective games at a later time and you wont have to keep reminding each other of your Friend Codes. I really think this is something that Wii users can benefit from.

2. Smashbro29

Member Smashbro29 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think it's a great idea.
    I also know almost nothing of the wii hacking world.

3. Smashbro29

United States

4. Smashbro29

United States

5. Smashbro29

United States

6. Uchiha Obito

Member Uchiha Obito GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    It would be great... I would try to give my best for this project but the problem is that I can't even have the HBC --' It can be a real pain but I have to take it... [​IMG]

7. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    I think its a great idea.

8. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    I'm not good with coding for the Wii but I can draw my hiney off and I could definately come up with illustrations for the base UI. Someone would have to convert them to proper format but I can at least start the art direction. I just need a second illustrator to do editing and recreations in proper format and a coder or two, especially one who knows how to use the pointer feature of the Wii Remote.

9. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    2 things. One, pm someone who knows alot about coding, or go on irc. Two, make it USB compatible for keyboards, you know what would be sweet? Like the xbox and ps3. A mini keyboard that hooks up to the wii remote. Anyways, I don't know crap about coding, ask around for some help on the irc.

10. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    When I get a chance I will ask some better known Wii Devs. I have a coding friend as well. I'm not sure if you heard of the game "Wings of Apocolypse" but he's the lead creator of that game and was at GDC this year so if anything he would be a good start. He's been working alot with 360 coding but my love for Wii homebrew has been having him bugging me about wanting to start something on Wii. I was going to try to continue my Power Rangers vs. Soul Calibur HB game but being as i can pinpoint where i placed some of the artwork i decided to start fresh with something else.

11. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I lolled and spat tea on my monitor.

12. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    I dont know about you but when i logged on to Xbox Live all my messenger contacts (msn, hotmail) come up and in another tab are my xbox live friends. However its a farely nice idea.

13. Tux'

Canada
    You realize if this goes through someone will have to have an up to date thread on friend codes and emails(just ones for this application, like a new yahoo or msn live one) for this, that would make it even better

And, no, I'm not volunteering, I don't have much time to do that stuff.

14. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    ...Interesting! I didnt know Microsoft actually intergrated MSN and hotmail contacts in X-Box live. Its been a while since I bumbled around with Live and the last time I was on there, they had the whole use Live from PC or 360 thing but I never thought M$ would get smart enough to take it to the next step. Congrats to M$ [​IMG] .

15. YellowYoYos

Member YellowYoYos GBAtemp Regular

United States
  16. Tux'

Canada
    He means a channel on the systemmenu. As in you click start, log on(or auto login[remember me]). You can go to two lists(?). One is all live IM yahoo etc. And the other friend codes maybe?

17. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    just use an emails.txt file like some usb loader uses config.txt?

also, why not just do what the DS homebrew 'BEUP' is like?

just search MSN on the nintendo DS on youtube, or type BEUP on google and it'll give you info on it.

18. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    I dont know about implimenting FC on the level of using them as user identification for communicating. I was simply talking about being able to make FC list for your yahoo contacts, kinda like how you can edit your contacts' personal info such as phone number, e-mail ect. That way, instead of having to always go to some forum or a note pad, you always have the codes in your messenger.

19. Tux'

Canada
    Oh, I get what angle you're coming at now [​IMG]. So will we have to type out the whole thing on the wii, or will it just be at the contact lists whjen you download it? Ok so then you have a list of contacts from a txt file named Contacts or something and the IM channel would find it on the sd card and vĂ²ila, all the contacts that were in the txt file right?

20. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    would be a lot easier to use an existing protocol. MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc. That way you can chat to people on not just wii's, but whatever supports that protocol. I don't really see the point in having it unless yout could run it on top of another app.