Installing WiiWare with WadManager ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Distrance, Dec 5, 2008.

Dec 5, 2008
  1. Distrance
    OP

Member Distrance GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    So erm.. as I discovered of today, there is no way for me to get Starfall since I don't have Wi-Fi, and I have 3.1E so I can't upgrade without Wi-Fi... So I thought I'll try to install some games atleast..

But I was wondering.. my console is PAL, so if the WiiWare.wad is NTSC version, will this brick my Wii, or will the game and my wii still work ?

Also I was wondering about SaveMii.net ... Is that site legit, and does that tool actually work ? If I ended up breaking my Wii, I wouldn't want to pay 25€ to find out I was scammed by some stupid site.

Also according to the site, if I'd install some Wiiware game and the file would be corrupt, it claims I can boot in Maintenance mode, and then use AnyTitleDeleted to delete that corrupt .wad ... Is this true ? Cause if it is, I don't see any point in Starfall anyway ;.;

Help please D:

2. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    You do have to be careful, yes. Look for Freethewads and use that just incase... it will give you the option to change it to any region.. Some still don't work when you do this...but I have never heard of it bricking your wii.

Good luck

3. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    okay,
    first, savemii is a tool developed by Team Twiizers, whom developed HBC and TH and well, A LOT OF USEFUL HOMEBREW STUFFS. So savemii is not a scam.

my guess, is better off to use freethewads gui (Google is your mate), simple, safe, and noob-friendly (Not saying that you're a noob of course).

And about the maintenance mode thing. Well, if you have the system files are corrupted problem, you could try booting into maintenance mode, and as fast as you can, get into HBC and if you are able to, uninstall the bad wad using wad manager.
    the last time I had this, I have like, 1-2 seconds to do something in maintenance mode before it showed the error.

4. Distrance
    OP

Finland
    Alright, thanks for the info.

As for deleting WiiWare.... It seems that one game is 300 blocks or more.. but my Wii has only like 1600 blocks available. Is there no way to acquire more blocks ? Also, if I install one WiiWare game and then I don't like it, should I delete it through Wii's own Channel management thingy, or can it be deleted with WadManager ?

I checked AnyTitleDeleter, but none of the files had actually '' titles ''.. just random numbers and letters.. how am I supposed to use something like that when I don't even know what I might be deleting ?

Oh and about Freethewads... I tried dragging wad file to the exe file, and it would quickly flash the DOS window ( I saw word '' done '' ... or something ), and then disappears. I can't get to the screen itself where I can choose what region to patch it on ? Why is this ? I did exactly what I should ==> Put them on same folder, open cmd line and write : C:\WiiWare\freethewads.exe Midnight_Bowling.wad and I would get error '' cannot open file /cygdrive/c/freethewads '' ... What does that mean ?

5. ekolimits

Member ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    google those random letters and numbers to find out what they stand for... they are channels and save games and stuff... wads mostly. and if you fear bricking your wii... install the twilight hack and get starfall... i think you can download the internet files manually like you would for the gamma loader.

6. afif95

Malaysia
    The blocks: Well, you can't have more actually, sorry :/. But then again, game saves takes only like 2 or 3 blocks, I would only worry if my free blocks were like 200 below.

And I suggest you delete the wads from WAD Manager. Don't know what will happen if you uninstall it from Data management though. Then again, better uninstall it from where it comes from (WAD Manager).

And you shouldn't meddle with AnyTitleDeleter unless you know what are you doing.

I recommend you use FreeTheWads GUI, much simpler, here:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=877...p;#entry1582933

7. Distrance
    OP

Finland
    I have Twilight hack obviously, but I can't install Starfall since I'm on 3.1E. And you need Wi-Fi to install 3.2 with AnyRegionChanger or cIOS_downgrader, so I can't do that either. If someone experienced has a way to do this without Wi-Fi, that'd be awesome.. But I doubt it is, since I assume I'm downloading the system files from Nintendo with this program, so no one would have these files..

Well I installed Midnight Bowling earlier, and then found it doesn't work. Didn't realise PAL/NTSC matters.. Anyway, so I deleted it through Data Management. It worked fine, but it seems for me that it's as if I had like 50 blocks less than I had when I hadn't installed whole thing.. So now something I can't see is taking up 50 blocks :/.

But in future I will use WadManager... How do I uninstall though.. press '' - '' on the wad ?

8. afif95

Malaysia
    Bold 1: Wow, never knew that! Well, it's kinda a bad luck though, next time, remember to use WAD Manager okay? [​IMG]
    Bold 2: Yes you are correct, just press "-" on the wad. AND NEVER DELETE THE WAD OFF YOUR WII, just in case something
    happens. Come on, the only take so little space. [​IMG]

Oh, and if you ever come around to having some spare cash, or considering about buying a laptop, you should get a Wi-Fi router, seeing that you have a solid Internet connection.

9. Distrance
    OP

Finland
    I think there's plenty of different options connecting Wii to internet. But because our Wii resides downstairs, while our router is upstairs, I can't simply take a wire and plug it into the Wii. I would need to buy bigger cable, plus my mum would never let me to have that huge cable being in the way at the stairs... ( dangerous... might trip ) ..

Is there anything that I could plug into my computer, and then plug something to Wii, but there would be no cable between.. So it would be something like wireless ? I think there was something like this but god I can't remember it's name.

I should get Wi-Fi of some sort anyway as soon as I get some money... In couple weeks that is.. Since I really want to get Starfall.. Just in case. Though I am now installing WiiWare.. hopefully as soon as I get time to do it with a patched version of the .wad ... everything goes well. If not, I'm doomed D: