Gaming Installing Ubuntu Alongside Windows XP

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have a few questions about installing Ubuntu and other stuff.

1.) When I'm about to install, the part where you choose the size of the separate partition, is it better for me to install it on a USB/External Drive, or the Hard Drive?
2.) When it says:
Code:
Write previous changes to disk and continue?
before you can select a new partition size, any previous changes have to be written to disk.

You cannot undo this operation

Please note that the resize operation may take a long time.

So, you cannot join back the two separated partitions once they are split?
3.) If you install Ubuntu alongside with a version of Windows, is it possible to try to re-install that version of Windows?
4.) When you press the "Minimize" button on an Ubuntu "window", where does it go; how can I open it up again?

Thanks in advance.

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d3monsting said:
Hahaha no.
Partitions can be changed whenever and stuff.

EDIT: Yeah
EDIT2: The installer probably is speaking of something else that's permanent.
Okay, thanks about the Partition info.
smile.gif

But that message in my first post just popped up right after I set the size of the two partitions.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: install to your HDD. it's a powerful OS, more so than windows XP and you'll slowly but surely start to migrate to linux completely if you're patient/smart enough to learn it.

2: it's just saying that before you can continue, you have to apply the changes you've marked. meaning it's going to partition your HDD "for real" before you can make any further changes. yes, you can departition it if you choose to get rid of windows or ubuntu by deleting your unused OS partition with gparted, and then extending the partition you're keeping to use the rest of the unallocated space.

3: you'll be able to reinstall windows, yes, but windows and linux use different bootloaders. the common linux bootloader, and the one used by ubuntu, is called grub. grub is capable of booting several different operating systems, whereas windows boot manager is only capable of booting windows operating systems. therefore, if you reinstall windows after having ubuntu install grub, it will wipe grub out of your MBR and replace it with windows boot manager, and you won't be able to boot into linux until you reinstall grub using a ubuntu installation disc/usb to boot into a live desktop.

4: it goes down to the taskbar, just like in windows XP. you have a panel at the top which is where you launch your applications, tell time, etc. and on the bottom is a task manager panel, which is where your shit goes when you minimize it. see my desktop. i don't use ubuntu, but your task manager on the bottom will be similar to mine except your "start" button will be on the top panel, divided into sections and your clock will also be on top.

good luck!

edit:
note about question 2: if you choose to delete your ubuntu partition and just keep windows, then you're going to have to reinstall your windows boot manager by using your windows installation disc/usb and repairing startup problems.

oh yeah, and if you look at my desktop, look at my gnome desktop. as ubuntu uses gnome. to get an idea of what kubuntu looks like, look at my KDE desktop. but yours still might look different if you choose to use KDE since i don't use kubuntu either.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Install to your harddrive, it'd suck running from a flash drive.

It's not fully permanent, the issue is the partition linux will be on is a different filesystem, so you can't merge the two. You have to delete one and then expand the other to fill up the space (not a FULL format, but just getting rid of one partition).

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, you could undo all changes manually, but you'd need a partitioning tool for that:

1) boot partition manager, delete ubuntu partition, resize windows partition to your liking
2) boot off windows cd, repair boot sector*

* afaik it's even saved beforehand, so if you know what you're doing you can just write it back.

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strider said:
Yes, you could undo all changes manually, but you'd need a partitioning tool for that:

1) boot partition manager, delete ubuntu partition, resize windows partition to your liking
2) boot off windows cd, repair boot sector*

* afaik it's even saved beforehand, so if you know what you're doing you can just write it back.

So you can just delete the Partition using that Partitioning Tool? Then merge it with the Windows XP one?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Apr 9 2011, 01:53 AM) Install to your harddrive, it'd suck running from a flash drive.

It's not fully permanent, the issue is the partition linux will be on is a different filesystem, so you can't merge the two. You have to delete one and then expand the other to fill up the space (not a FULL format, but just getting rid of one partition).

So you just have to format the Linux Partition?

eosia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive installed ubunto in my pendrive and now i can use it from the pendrivw within installing it

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Windows runs on NTFS, Ubuntu will usually run on EXT3/4. If you want to merge the Ubuntu partition with the windows one again, you'd need to reformat/delete the Ubuntu partition first.

If you reinstall/repair windows, it'll overwrite the MBR, causing you to lose GRUB, so you'd need to re-install that.

If you uninstall Ubuntu, GRUB will be lost as well, so you'd need to repair the windows installation with the Windows CD.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
no, you have to delete it. format =/= delete. keep that in mind
smileipb2.png

and did you even read my post? i basically told you everything you need to know, unless you need it to be more in depth >.>

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
RoboticBuddy said:
no, you have to delete it. format =/= delete. keep that in mind
smileipb2.png

and did you even read my post? i basically told you everything you need to know, unless you need it to be more in depth >.>

No, I read your first post, but I must have missed that part.

Found it! You have to delete that Linux Partition by using gParted, right? Then you have to re-install Windows XP via Boot CD?

OffTopic: Where can I find how to re-install Windows without the Boot CD?

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you mean to get rid of ubuntu? it's simple.
just use a partition managing program in windows (not using linux) to delete your ubuntu (ext2/3/4 partition) and then extend your windows partition to use the unallocated space you get after it's deleted.

i personally use easeus partition master in windows and gparted in linux.

it will most likely show up as a blank/non-labeled partition, since windows can't natively read ext2/3/4 file systems. but you should be able to tell by the size of the partitions which is which.

you can install windows via usb drive (or use your micro SD card and usb adapter from your DS like me. stay classy.) if you get a windows xp ISO.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
RoboticBuddy said:
OffTopic: Where can I find how to re-install Windows without the Boot CD?

you have to use the windows installation disc to reinstall windows. (using USB or disc)

if you prefer you can use both windows and ubuntu using wubi installer.

oh and one thing... (if your not going to use the wubi installer)

1. resize your current windows instalation using either the windows "computer management section from at start->computer(right click) or easues partion master

2. download Easybcd open it and in add new entry add linux grub

3. pop in your linux install disc (ubuntu in this case) go through the setup process (install ubuntu on the new partition created earlier) also in the confirmation screen (after partitioning stuff) the summary screen click advanced and untick "install GRUB bootloader

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You can actually install *ubuntu distros from within windows, through Wubi. Then it doesn't replace the windows bootloader, it just appends itself to it, so you can uninstall it from within Windows without having to use any bootable media to replace anything.

However in this case you won't have multiple partitions, so if your windows partition gets erased, so does your linux install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here