Installing System channels from another region

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Isle41, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Isle41
    OP

Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I tried installing the Korean Mii Channel (0004001000027700.cia, acquirable through UpdateCDN) although it doesn't show up, I'm attributing this to the fact I forgot to region free the CIA. I can't however figure out how to make the cia region free, no converter from cia to 3ds is working so I can't do it manually.

Anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

(I recognize it has very little practical use but help me out here)

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    You can't region free system titles without braking the sig checks. I don't think Gateway patched that otherwise we'd be able to install custom theme CIAs as well. (System titles that install to NAND have different sig checks then the normal games/homebrew CIAs.)

Also don't even think about trying to do this to sysnand unless you want a brick. :P

3. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Couldn't you launch them from regionthree by modifying the title ID and adjusting the command? I've launched various apps from around my sysNAND so I'd imagine it *might* work.

4. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    You can try launching it from within DevMan. BigRedMenu is getting this feature too I think.

EDIT: Actually because it's a system title it most likely won't show up in DevMan. It will show up in BigRedMenu though, so if the dev added the launch feature yet, you can use that instead. The launch function of DevMan/BigRedMenu ignores region lock I believe.

5. Isle41
    OP

Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Oh I see.

And I already installed it in sysnand... my sysnand seems fine but for anyone reading would not advice installing an invisible worthless channel.

6. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Well out of region titles might not brick. But trying to alter them to be region free then installing will most likely brick. Though bricking won't happen unless it's something the 3DS needs to boot. Otherwise the 3DS will just refuse to boot the offending program. :P