Installing OSX on PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ericthegreat, Dec 14, 2011.

Dec 14, 2011

Installing OSX on PC by Ericthegreat at 12:14 AM (1,677 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. Ericthegreat
    OP

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    How would I go about installing osx on my pc, right now I have a windows and loader partition a swap and a ubuntu partition, I would be willing to remove the linux partition for osx but I would not want to format my windows partition, is that possible?

Also I have read I need a usb stick to format and install chameleon as a boot disc right? or can I just use a dvd?

Also Can I go right to osx lion or do I need to install snow leopard and update?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm pretty sure that there's alot of Hackintosh guides floating around the web. If your PC build will turn out to be un-hackintoshable (apparently it happens. MB issues) you can still use VMWare and/or PearPC. But why would you even WANT OSX?

1 person likes this.
  3. Ericthegreat
    OP

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    I hate osx too I just want to try Garageband....

4. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Helping you is generally hard because pretty much any guide out there has links to "illegal" OSX downloads, but just googling the word "Hackintosh" will give you the results you seek.

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Why would you want to do this in the first place?

You know you can just choose to not download software options instead of ultimately limiting them, right?

6. popcorn900

Banned popcorn900 Banned

just buy a mac......
    how cheap are you?
    sorry, im a mean person.
    no, not really, im the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, but seriously, mac os dont work right on pc, just buy a mac.
    then run your windows on the mac with bootcamp.
    best of both worlds.

7. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    If you just want Garageband try VMWare

1 person likes this.
  8. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Tonymac forums. That's all you'll need.

9. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    pro tools hd, thats why you go mac i bet

10. popcorn900

Banned popcorn900 Banned

why do yous always wish to mess with mac, just buy a mac.
    enough said.
    your link is very good though for those who want problems, loading kexts, ect.

11. Vinnymac

Member Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It is very easy to do a hackintosh. Just read up @ Insanely Mac. I have done Hackintosh fully working on 2 PCs and a Laptop. I've done Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion. It really isn't hard, if you are into that sort of thing, reading it will be fun and a learning experience too.

Macs are expensive. Converting a PC (even if it is illegal to steal the OS), can be completely free. Stealing a mac is a much more likely way for you to get arrested lol.

Also buying OS X, and then converting to PC is much much cheaper than buying a mac. Especially if you build a PC that can 100% work as a hackintosh. No matter what, you're gonna spend over $1000 on a mac. So you might as well learn, and do a hacktinosh.

12. popcorn900

Banned popcorn900 Banned

i know, im just a loyal, ive spent much money on mac, i do have hackintosh.
    but, i have paid for it.
    i am sorry for bieng so forward, dont report me, i dont wish to be banned.
    i did say the link was good, for those who wish to be cheap. i should add, or cant afford.

13. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Eh.. Saying not to report you just screams the opposite..

But as for buying a Mac vs building a PC-based Mac.. Honestly, Macs are highly overpriced / underspeced for the price. There is nothing else that you can say about them. The only reason to buy one is a) have too much money to use or b) want a good design with a working OS. That is just a fact and I can say that because of personal usage of Macs since the early 1990's and also owning a 2500€ 15" MacBook Pro mid 2010 (student discounted). I also happened to have a bit of extra money at that time and just needed a computer without need of constant updating etc. Running Windows side by side OS X is a must for basically everything I have at Uni (3D modeling and CAD especially), so technically buying a cheaper Windows 7 machine would be better for some.

ps. Using VMWare to emulate Mac OS X > making a separate partition for it if you just want to use GarageBand..

14. popcorn900

Banned popcorn900 Banned

macs are not highly overpriced, only someone who cant afford the quality says that.
    enough said.

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Oh I can easily afford it, but it's not about that. Affordability = / = can't say it's not price-quality-wise smart. Macs are luxury items in the same way as a Ferrari is for cars. You can buy it and it works pretty well, but you can do the same thing with a cheaper alternative. Components on a Mac are nowadays quite close to what the PC side has, mostly thanks to Apple ditching PowerPC architecture for the computers.. Thus what I said previously.

Also Macs have as much hardware problems that "normal" PC computers have. So far I've had my 15" Hi-res (anti-glare) screen changed, charger changed and possibly going to change my trackpad and motherboard because of problems with them.

But this is wayyy off topic so I'll just leave it to that..

16. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Maybe you had problems, but myself and a few others I know irl have not. I think it's great that you own a real Mac and as for wanting to state what someone on here can and can't afford why even go there? It wasn't about price when I did mine. It was more about wanting to do a hackintosh for the experience and fun of it.

17. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Mixcraft was made for a reason.

18. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    It's hard for me to express how much I disagree with that statement.

Macbook Pro:

CPU: Intel I7 2,2Ghz or 2,4Ghz (second-gen)
    RAM: 4Gb with the capacity to upgrade to 8Gb
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6750M (512mb) or AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 Gb)
    Price: $1199 to $2499

ASUS G53SW:

CPU: Intel I7 2,9Ghz (second-gen)
    RAM: 8Gb
    GFX: GeForce GTX 460 (1,5Gb)
    Price: $1099-$1299
    You save: aprox. $1000-$1200

Dell Alienware M17x (Standard Build)
    CPU: Intel I7 2,2Ghz (second-gen)
    RAM: 8Gb
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD6870 (1Gb)
    Price: $1599
    You save: aprox. $500

Two confings, both better than the top-shelf MacBook Pro, both at a better price. In fact I could go on and on about how Macs are overpriced, but what for?

EDIT: You save values counted from the top-shelf MacBook. The bottom-shelf one is of pitiful quality compared to the other two laptops, there was no point in comparing.

EDIT2: As you may have noticed from the specs, there is nothing inheritently Mac-ish about Macs anymore - it's just another effing laptop computer, it has no diamonds on the inside, it's not a godsend - it has the exact same specs any other laptop would have.

2 people like this.
  19. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    yeah, but the mackbook shells alone are worth 300 bucks

with that said i see nothing wrong with building a hackintosh. i would if i couldn't afford a mac.

20. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Pfffffffffffft, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You really believe that, don't you? That is just too fucking hilarious.