Gaming Installing OSX on PC

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah, but the mackbook shells alone are worth 300 bucks

Makes you wonder why - it's just a hunk of metal/plastic with 3/4 of an apple on it - really no big deal.
Also, who cares how much the shell is worth, every laptop comes in one.
Two words. Aluminum Design. That's pretty much why quite a few people prefer MacBook Pros. Kinda like how everything in the kitchen has to be stainless steel compared to the basic white design. And why the stainless version costs more. This can be made to apply for anything from clothes (why on earth does it say CK and cost 400$? This alternative without the logo is just 10$!) to cars (Why buy a 400000$ Ferrari, when a cheap Toyota does the same thing).

Only big difference in Mac vs a "normal" laptop without looking at design/price is the OS. Macs are bundled with Mac OS X and most others with Windows 7. Somehow people think that making a Windows machine with Mac OS X is a sin, but adding a Windows partition for a Mac OS X computer is basically a must if you want to use any kind of application meant for industrial use (at least for now, may change in the future).

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Makes you wonder why - it's just a hunk of metal/plastic with 3/4 of an apple on it - really no big deal.

it's no big deal to you but it's a big deal to others. value does not necessarily = price. we both can see the price of items, we don't both see the same value.

computers in particular have been stigmatize by the pc culture as being work horses nothing more. apple elevated them to something more and they charge a premium for it. you can argue that a Lazy Boy chair is better than a Barcelona chair, but again, different values.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This is silly but the Ferrari comparison doesn't really work. A Ferrari will have much better performance than a cheap Toyota. A Macbook doesn't have much better performance than the equivalent Windows laptop.

Macbooks ARE worth the price put on them (well minus the profit margins) due to the high quality manufacture and parts put into them alongside R&D etc. The question is does this add enough value? For some the answer is yes, for others the answer is no.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is silly but the Ferrari comparison doesn't really work. A Ferrari will have much better performance than a cheap Toyota. A Macbook doesn't have much better performance than the equivalent Windows laptop.

Macbooks ARE worth the price put on them (well minus the profit margins) due to the high quality manufacture and parts put into them alongside R&D etc. The question is does this add enough value? For some the answer is yes, for others the answer is no.

the ferrari still applies because performance can also mean MPG and i'm sure any toyota will get you better performance per gallon than a ferrari.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When you compare performance you compare all the factors, out of which MPG is only a single minor one.

Please do point out 1 person in the audience who'd much prefere to get a Toyota for free rather than a Ferrari for free. I doubt you will randomly select the enviorimentally-concious one.

That said, Apple computers have the exact same (if not lower lately) performance as their Windows or Linux counterparts and, believe it or not, there are plenty companies that rival Apple when it comes to built quality.

At the end of the day a computer is what it is - a machine that computes. You can have a pretty computer or an ugly computer, but what really matters is how much and how fast said computer "computes". It's not a hat, it's not a fashion statement.

Sure, it's cool to have a Mac. Among the less technologically-inclined crowds that honestly believe there is a difference. There isn't. While some people will glorify your "good choice" other will poke fun at you for over-paying for your hardware that'll be obselete in a matter of a year or two. And both groups will be right.

The "choice" is a personal matter. To me, Apple computers are pretty boxes that don't really do all that much compared to the competition. But then again - that's just me.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Only big difference in Mac vs a "normal" laptop without looking at design/price is the OS. Macs are bundled with Mac OS X and most others with Windows 7. Somehow people think that making a Windows machine with Mac OS X is a sin, but adding a Windows partition for a Mac OS X computer is basically a must if you want to use any kind of application meant for industrial use (at least for now, may change in the future).

Your wording is interesting. I too agree that applications should be made multi-platform in the future, but it works both ways. I also don't see why anyone would want an OSX partition not because it's a sin but because there are alternatives. ;)

EDIT: Ugh! Auto-merge not working AGAIN!

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Two words. Aluminum Design. That's pretty much why quite a few people prefer MacBook Pros. Kinda like how everything in the kitchen has to be stainless steel compared to the basic white design. And why the stainless version costs more. This can be made to apply for anything from clothes (why on earth does it say CK and cost 400$? This alternative without the logo is just 10$!) to cars (Why buy a 400000$ Ferrari, when a cheap Toyota does the same thing).

Probook 4530s w/ Core i5-2410M, 4GB RAM & 500GB 7200 RPM with complete aluminum design. Triple boots Windows 7 Pro x64, Mac OS X Lion (all major components work), & Linux. Basically a Macbook Air with no SSD & bigger screen.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
macs are not highly overpriced, only someone who cant afford the quality says that.
enough said.

That doesn't changed the fact they're underspeced for the price. I can get an $800 laptop that has equal hardware that Macbook Pro has.
And why anyone would put Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro is beyond me; it defeats the purpose of getting a Mac.

Reactions: 2 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And why anyone would put Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro is beyond me; it defeats the purpose of getting a Mac.
One word: CAD. Have you ever tried Computer Aided Design on a Mac? Yeah I know, that must be because there isn't a real possibility for it. Sure you can use Wine/VMWare/Parallels, but you'll never really get into it without a separate partition. Having Windows 7 on a Mac =/= using it all the time. I rarely open the Windows partition since OS X boots from power down/sleep mode faster than Windows 7, but when it comes down to CAD (AutoCAD, Solid Edge, Pro/Engineering, MathCad (not 3D modeling, but still), etc.) I just have to use the Windows partition. No other option. Sure some CAD programs are being made multi OS, but it'll take years for the coding to match the level of performance the Windows versions offer. Also what is the real purpose of getting a Mac? :unsure:

@Hakoda: Yeah I know there are other alternatives for an aluminum design laptop, but what I meant was for the main point was the design, which is "simplistic and cool" + it has a lighted Apple-logo. No matter what anyone say, that makes it worth the extra $$ for quite a few people (just look at the iPhone for example. It sells like hot cakes regardless of possible Android options being cheaper and work better). :glare:

EDIT: Also I have to say that the trackpad on MacBooks has been on heck of a device. Not saying that some companies are nearing the same capabilities, but a few years ago it was basically the only computer with such compatibility (at some kind of reasonable price, not cheap, but not >2000$).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: stick a decal on it