Installing b9s with DS flashcart?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Kevbotty, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    I've been seeing videos of people unbricking their systems and also saying that you can install boot9strap. And they say that it works on 11.4. Is this going to be the next big method for us who have been waiting to get some cfw? Yes, I'm running 11.4 and just want some cfw. Also, another question. I've also been hearing about braindump and I'm curious about that. That can be used to get the game files to then be used with citra? And could those games also be played again on the 3ds system (without the cartridge being in there)? I have hbl through oot3dhax.

2. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Braindump dumps bad copies iirc. Not sure what is missing from them. And while, iirc, they may be playable in Citra, they're not going to be playable in the 3DS itself.

Last edited by gnmmarechal, Jun 2, 2017
  3. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Braindump dumps pure CXI with bad header information. It is a bad choice to use it. Instead once you get homebrew via the DS flashcard method (when it is released) you can use Hourglass9, Godmode9, Decrypt9, or other things. They will decrypt it, or maybe Citra won't need decrypted ROMs since we have bootROM access.

TL;DR: The DS card method isn't out yet, never use braindump unless you don't have a choice, and use one of d0k3's tools for dumping/decrypting ROMs for citra

gnmmarechal likes this.
  4. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    I'm guessing you're referring to this.

Magnethax/ntrcardboothax theoretically works on any firmware, including yet-unreleased firmwares. And it should let you install B9S or any other CFW loader.

5. blujay

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    There is no "theoretically" or "should let". It executes before the power LED even turns on. It is a BootROM exploit, which means that big N can't fix it without a hardware revision. Then, it gives us direct access to install B9S, A9LH, and other entrypoints. Once it is released, there is literally no 3ds on any firmware that can patch it

dragonslayer817 and Oleboy555 like this.
  6. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    I try my best not to speculate about unreleased exploits, but yeah. I can't see any action Nintendo can take against this.

7. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    waddabout updates containg blacklists for flashcards

pandavova likes this.
  8. blujay

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Well, it is the same case with sighax. Because it executes before firmware and is then locked out from modification inside of ARM execution, Ninty can't patch it unless they have their own backdoor to disable, which would then be impossible because BootROM stands for Boot Read Only Memory. So no writing can be done to it

9. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    The blacklist is read by the home menu or some part of FIRM, I'm unsure which. Either way it doesn't matter because it comes after the Bootrom.

10. blujay

Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Because this executes in place of NAND, or in general before NAND even has a chance to load, blacklists would have to be stored in bootROM, which there are none. There are some in firmware to prevent people from booting them from the home menu, but Nintendo made this bootROM feature so that they could boot a flashcard of their own. They can't make a whitelist in the bootROM, because once again: Boot Read Only Memory

pandavova likes this.
  11. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for all the feedback. So though this has worked for that flashcart in the video, I'm assuming it doesn't necessarily mean it will work with all flashcarts? I have an old M3 DS Real (a DS flashcart) that I've had for many years now. Will that work? I'm just getting a little antsy because we 11.4 users are finally getting our chance!

12. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    That card certainly won't work.

13. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    I hope the N2Ds doesnt patch this

14. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    So the R4 is what you're going to need? or any cart like that?

15. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    The compatible cards haven't been revealed yet. ScriesM said he won't reveal the card he used for his demo until he knows whether it can work on cheaper cards.

Last edited by metroid maniac, Jun 2, 2017 - Reason: Thought I double posted, but it was just a browser glitch.
  16. Kevbotty
    OP

Kevbotty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    United States
    Alright, fair enough. I just hope I don't miss out when they all become sold out

17. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    I hope my R4i (2015) would work for that

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    AK2i will work.
    You don't need Braindump to dump games for Citra use anymore. You can simply use the latest 3DSTool (pc side tool) to decrypt a .cia and extract the .cxi from it.

Aeronic likes this.