ROM Hack Question Installing a steam patch on a switch game

ChiefDuPan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I recently got a visual novel on switch (Aokana four rhythms across the blue). I found that the devs release a free available .dat patch for the steam version. I found similar .dat files (but not this patch) into the files form dumping the cartridge. Is there a way to apply this patch for the switch ? The dev team says that it's supposed to be installed for steam version but not sure they think about installing into a modified device.

If you have any idea/answer, thank you

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,

I recently got a visual novel on switch (Aokana four rhythms across the blue). I found that the devs release a free available .dat patch for the steam version. I found similar .dat files (but not this patch) into the files form dumping the cartridge. Is there a way to apply this patch for the switch ? The dev team says that it's supposed to be installed for steam version but not sure they think about installing into a modified device.

If you have any idea/answer, thank you
This depends on many factors. For example if game code even can check other dat files. If it has hardcoded file names that doesn't include this filename, then already you are out of luck.
You can try to repack original dat to replace files from patch. But this would require using cross-platform files in both versions. And there is very high chance that audio files used on PC are not compatible with Switch game.

Graber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The .dat format is very similar to the one from the PC version, but the encryption has been slightly tweaked so files won't work as is. You can use a tool to unpack the files and repack them into a Switch: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0zgkf38g3dswoy6/AokanaDatTool.zip/file (source code if you need it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/51oelx9qq91gh6s/AokanaDatToolSrc.zip/file). Then it should work using LayeredFS.

There's a +18 patch released in fuwanovel (not sure if I can link it, but it should be somewhere on the first page of the "Fan Translation Discussion" category) that restores that content from the PC version and was done with that tool.

What did the new update bring? I don't own the Steam version of the game so I can't tell. I heard there were some bugfixes regarding route choices but I'm not entirely sure and can't exactly run a diff.

ChiefDuPan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey, thanks ! (Didn't know about fuwanovel, I recently begin to get into VN. )

I find it. I'll still try to do it myself because I want to learn how to do it but I have now a source and the result if it doesn't go well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why do that when they make bogus accounts