Input Lag conundrum between PS3, PSP and ps1 games

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by codezer0, Jul 9, 2014.

1. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Alright, so here's the skinny...

At one end, I got my CECHA PS3 plugged to my TV via HDMI, naturally. And as expected, all those PS1 and PS2 games that I would play on the PS3 manage to look a lot cleaner/better, even if I played them with the same component video cables that I'd otherwise give to my modchipped PS2.

At the other, I have my PSP go in its cradle, connected to the same TV via Component Video cables.

The game in question for the purpose of this experiment, is Bust A Groove, the rhythm and music game and kind of a precursor to the likes of DDR.

So, I have the disc in hand and play the game from it on my PS3. Graphically the game looks as pleasant as I expected it to when letting it handle it the Sony way. However, visually there is a sizable problem. Even when I'm visually following the timing to press for the beats, I miss them every time. This is with it set to the best resolution, naturally. Using Multiman, i can override this and tell it to output at 480p instead. While not perfect, it does put me within the margin of error so I could play the game to the end again.

Now, here's the curious bit... I then rip this game and convert it to be a PSN-style release to then play on my PSP, and put it on the go system. Using it, and playing with a paired PS3 controller, it's almost like I don't have any input lag at all, when it seemed like most sites that discuss the subject of input lag (like this one ) all seem to indicate that if anything, input lag on an HDTV should be much worse with an analog source than a digital source in large part because so many of them have their video transcoders giving preferential treatment to digital sources.

Before I tested the PSP, at first I was all set to chalk it up to just the PS3 being kind of crap on input lag when upscaling a PS1 game, but then I also saw another youtube ( such as this one ) and doing so at 1080p and actually getting really great response from the thing. So, now I'm confused...

Is it that I somehow have an HDTV that is actually better at analog sources than digital ones?
    Is it because the person uploading these youtube videos is taking advantage of a TV that has better input lag over HDMI?
    Or is there something else I should consider about this?