Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
It seems like a cool alternative for those without CFW or modchips.
Also, us filthy offline pirates do not care about bans.

The only minor inconvenience of the ban is having to manually download the updates.
I maintain the notion that physical media died in 2006 with the PS3 though.
If it helps you sleep at night, the company haven't prevented banned consoles from downloading updates unless you got superbanned whatever that is.

Also, if you go offline on this flashcard how are you supposed to update genius if you have no mechanism to download the firmware?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps you sleep at night, the company haven't prevented banned consoles from downloading updates unless you got superbanned whatever that is.
You are wrong, if your console has been banned, you can not download game updates, but you can download and update OFW. (I personally own a console banned Switch)
Post automatically merged:

there is..?
No, there is not a button on the Mig to switch games, not yet atleast.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: rvtr

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
You are wrong, if your console has been banned, you can not download game updates, but you can download and update OFW. (I personally own a console banned Switch)

Of course I was talking about firmware updates. Who would think you could download game updates after getting banned?

Reactions: BigOnYa

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Overpriced garbage that can only play base games without updates and DLCs (aside from getting your console banned faster than you can look and probably killing your gamecart slot due to frequently reinserting the cart).
And people get hyped for this? Pathetic. The popcorn's gonna taste extra good when the crybabies come here in the next weeks and months.

I heard it also gives babies cancer :sad:

Close, but no. One you're actually banned & the other you're not. :P

How would you know? It's Schrodinger's Switch!

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer and BigOnYa

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Also, if you go offline on this flashcard how are you supposed to update genius if you have no mechanism to download the firmware?
This is a little confusing because I think he was referring to downloading game updates and presuming that they can be packed into the xci files. There's no verification that it can be done or if it is potentially possible.

He would, as you say, be able to download firmware updates.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
there is..?
i think so.... now im not even sure.

How would you know? It's Schrodinger's Switch!
its just a thought experiment anyway.

youre probably right. youtubers talked how it would be nice feature, i have mistaken it as that there IS a button. Youre right.
but even button is stupid imo. i need an OSD.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who cares for updates as well. its almost end of switch life, and all updates for games to function propperly are already out, and there are plenty of games.
Most game out there are broken without updates. Just count how many games actually started day 1 with no update.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who cares for updates as well. its almost end of switch life, and all updates for games to function propperly are already out
But on a stock model Switch. if you were banned, you could not get those downloaded updates/ or DLC that are "already out" onto the switch.

Reactions: rvtr

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think game carts have the required firmware update on them :)

EDIT: Bet you can incorporate some game updates right into the cart as well. They are signed ;)

Last edited by PhyChris,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
i think so.... now im not even sure.
there is not, you have to eject and pop up again to cycle the games. That little thing that reminds a button is a LED that goes red (required files not found), blue (prepping the files) and green (loading game).
While the light is green you have to pop out the cart to go to the next one, if you do nothing, then it will load the last game played.

Newtype

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
who cares for updates as well. its almost end of switch life, and all updates for games to function propperly are already out, and there are plenty of games.
Not just updates, you’re stuck just playing the “base” game.

Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing and Super Smash for example, you just have a handful of tracks and characters etc. You would be missing out on over half the game with all the new content released over the years :(

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing and Super Smash for example, you just have a handful of tracks and characters etc. You would be missing out on over half the game with all the new content released over the years :(
than whats the point of mig cart if its dependant on internet. its stupit, and you make a good point.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

You could just buy the DLC then :P

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
there is not, you have to eject and pop up again to cycle the games. That little thing that reminds a button is a LED that goes red (required files not found), blue (prepping the files) and green (loading game).
While the light is green you have to pop out the cart to go to the next one, if you do nothing, then it will load the last game played.
the more i learn about the cart the less i liek it. its stupid and pointless. cache grab

You could just buy the DLC then :P
not if hes banned. if he is using someones game copy nintendo will know. and if he uses his own copy than whats the point of mig...

hacked switch is still better.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The more I learn about the cart, the less i like it. Its a stupid and pointless cash grab.
Pretty much that's what it is. Modding Switches are fairly straight forward, chips can be installed if you're quite good at soldering and RCM Loader devices have existed for such a long time now.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't like the idea of paying money only for a non-transferable, very conditional, license.
I don't care. As long as my money helps the devs and keeps the "IP" alive, I'll pay for the games I like.
I'll just pirate it if they try to limit my access to the game or revoke it in some way.

Who would think you could download game updates after getting banned?
Why would I not think I could if I can still download firmware updates?

As for your snarky comment, when I say "offline", I mean "offline play", not "cut out from the network/internet".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES version was not a bad conversion
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, but using a wheel and pedals for gas/brake was awesome feature back in the day.
    Not sure if that or RC Pro AM was my favorite NES racing game... hmmmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I loved the rc pro am games
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to