Incognito

incognito
Wipes personal information from your Nintendo Switch by removing it from prodinfo.

purpose
a) So your switch can go online without worrying about a ban or using random dogdy DNS servers that are also likely to get you banned.

b) so malicious homebrew applications cannot steal your personal certificate.

disclaimer
Always have a nand backup. I am not responsible for any bricks or bans. Use at your own risk, experimental.

This application backs up your prodinfo to the SD root, you should keep this backup in a more secure location, and not leave it on the SD card where malicious applications can read it.

https://github.com/blawar/incognito

edit: atmosphere blocks writes to CAL0, so you must use ReiNX or SX OS to install this. Once installed, you can switch back to atmosphere.

Cogn_mode-225x225.png

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess when you cant argue a point on the merits, you just resort to trolling :)
I was gonna say I learned from the best, but thinking back, you go in strong with the trolling but when you're beaten you just tend to not respond and stay quiet, which is always a refreshing change.

Atmosphere's cal0 write protection never claimed to be any more than the bare minimum, which adequately protects from all the brick code which is already in the wild (therefore serves a useful purpose) and acknowledges it could be worked around. You are literally the only person I've seen talking about potentially trying to work around it, and the only person who's claimed its very existence to be a bad thing, because you're being typically bitchy about someone else's code that you see as an inconvenience (in this case breaking incognito) or a competition to one of your projects.

Atmosphere's new mitm doesn't claim to offer any malware protection (if you're sincerely that concerned about malware, hey let's start with boycotting closed source homebrew, right?) and only offers a way to avoid Nintendo's currently implemented systems. I expect people will keep an eye out for future changes, they're already researching to see if the data is mirrored anywhere else (system saves etc), which as far as I can see is more than you bothered to do. For its potential imperfections, it still offers a solution that doesn't involve erasing irreplaceable data, which can only be a good thing as we've already seen that users have been known to lose backups. Good job claiming why that doesn't matter, makes you look even better.

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna say I learned from the best, but thinking back, you go in strong with the trolling but when you're beaten you just tend to not respond and stay quiet, which is always a refreshing change.

Atmosphere's cal0 write protection never claimed to be any more than the bare minimum, which adequately protects from all the brick code which is already in the wild (therefore serves a useful purpose) and acknowledges it could be worked around. You are literally the only person I've seen talking about potentially trying to work around it, and the only person who's claimed its very existence to be a bad thing, because you're being typically bitchy about someone else's code that you see as an inconvenience (in this case breaking incognito) or a competition to one of your projects.

Atmosphere's new mitm doesn't claim to offer any malware protection (if you're sincerely that concerned about malware, hey let's start with boycotting closed source homebrew, right?) and only offers a way to avoid Nintendo's currently implemented systems. I expect people will keep an eye out for future changes, they're already researching to see if the data is mirrored anywhere else (system saves etc), which as far as I can see is more than you bothered to do. For its potential imperfections, it still offers a solution that doesn't involve erasing irreplaceable data, which can only be a good thing as we've already seen that users have been known to lose backups. Good job claiming why that doesn't matter, makes you look even better.

I have no problems with AMS' approach as it is infinitely better than nothing at all. I just think it is needless to add yet even more bloat to atmosphere, by having that running all of the time, when a quick write would suffice. I also do not like that it has zero malware protection, and I do not want people to get a false sense of security that it is safe, because its not. Education is never a bad thing right?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have no problems with AMS' approach as it is infinitely better than nothing at all. I just think it is needless to add yet even more bloat to atmosphere, by having that running all of the time, when a quick write would suffice. I also do not like that it has zero malware protection, and I do not want people to get a false sense of security that it is safe, because its not. Education is never a bad thing right?
I count that as two problems. Yes getting the facts out there is good, acknowledging the pros and cons of the different options allows users to make an educated choice, but only ever talking shit about other options while ignoring/denying the downsides of your own is really not a good look.

puffycheeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to remain neutral on this but in my opinion there is a big difference between stating you're going to consider making a harmful application and saying you're going to be releasing the source code or a PoC to something you made

Last edited by puffycheeks,
Reactions: hippy dave

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to remain neutral on this but in my opinion there is a big difference between stating you're going to consider making a harmful application and saying you're going to be releasing the source code or a PoC to something you made

Your post is a bit ambiguous, but there is no difference between releasing source and releasing an application, they are the same thing. The malicious part comes when you trick people into running it, usually by packaging it to look like a game, none of which was implied or stated.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your post is a bit ambiguous, but there is no difference between releasing source and releasing an application, they are the same thing. The malicious part comes when you trick people into running it, usually by packaging it to look like a game, none of which was implied or stated.
Yeah no.

The source means we get to poke at how the application works on the inside, that we are able to change it to fit our needs and that we can assure that there is no malicious code inside it.

Releasing an application can be done with or without source.

-- PERSONAL OPINION - IF THAT SHITS YOUR PANTS FOR SOME REASON, IGNORE IT --
If you release an application without source, it'll at least on my end automatically make your project malicious if you in question also do things that make me not trust you and I can't recommend anyone to run that application.

Releasing source code usually means that even if I believe that the person making it is an asshole, that I can still within reason recommend their application to people because I know that it isn't doing anything malicious.

Both of these obviously have their own individual caveats, but in general lines, that is my view on these matters.
-- END OF PERSONAL OPINION --

also youre a dev you should know this. pretending to be stupid just makes you look stupid.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really really shocked and confused at how people are coming at blawar... What did he do? Did I miss something? Other than some statements that may come off a little pretentious... what's with the hostility? If you don't like/agree with what he's made, don't use it. It may be dangerous for people who don't maintain proper backups but aren't a lot of other things as well? The world of modding/hacking is never a safe and friendly place for those who refuse to read and take proper precaution.

I'm not taking sides here but it seems this thread is a lot less about the application and a lot more about taking the piss out of blawar and things he may have said... take it to the DMs...

Where are the mods? This is getting crazy. Everyone just relax.

puffycheeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really really shocked and confused at how people are coming at blawar... What did he do? Did I miss something? Other than some statements that may come off a little pretentious... what's with the hostility? If you don't like/agree with what he's made, don't use it. It may be dangerous for people who don't maintain proper backups but aren't a lot of other things as well? The world of modding/hacking is never a safe and friendly place for those who refuse to read and take proper precaution.

I'm not taking sides here but it seems this thread is a lot less about the application and a lot more about taking the piss out of blawar and things he may have said... take it to the DMs...

Where are the mods? This is getting crazy. Everyone just relax.

I haven't noticed any hostility as of me joining. Not every argument in my opinion is a heated one. What you perceive as hostile may in fact just be debating and stating of personal opinions, since I'd like to believe we all are civil and reasonable beings. And why are you commenting on events that happened 4 days ago? This thread has been quiet since then, so the commentary really wasn't necessary to be honest.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't noticed any hostility as of me joining. Not every argument in my opinion is a heated one. What you perceive as hostile may in fact just be debating and stating of personal opinions, since I'd like to believe we all are civil and reasonable beings. And why are you commenting on events that happened 4 days ago? This thread has been quiet since then, so the commentary really wasn't necessary to be honest.
No, sir, your comment is unnecessary and I won't entertain you any further. I asked a simple question and you failed to provide any sort of answer. Whether the comments I read were heated or not, perception is reality my friend. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you probably shouldn't of said anything at all. Good day.
Yeah, he attacks other devs for no reason, ranging from shitting on their work to full-on personal attacks.
Ah, well then. I see what we have going on here! If that's the case then all of this piss taking makes a lot more sense lol I was honestly thinking to myself dang... All this guy did was release something! Thank you for your CONSTRUCTIVE reply.

Last edited by Dax_Fame,
Reactions: hippy dave

puffycheeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, sir, your comment is unnecessary and I won't entertain you any further. I asked a simple question and you failed to provide any sort of answer. Whether the comments I read were heated or not, perception is reality my friend. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you probably shouldn't of said anything at all. Good day.

Ah, well then. I see what we have going on here! If that's the case then all of this piss taking makes a lot more sense lol I was honestly thinking to myself dang... All this guy did was release something! Thank you for your CONSTRUCTIVE reply.

Uh....ok bud. I don't know why you're going on about perception being reality (and I don't really care to go into explaining how that is flawed on many levels here). Furthermore I know what you said, and a simple backtrack and some reading would have covered your question. So yes. It kinda was unnecessary

Last edited by puffycheeks,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's a great piece of advice, one everyone should take to heart, including yourself. Let's put the mud slinging aside going forward and focus on the release.

Reactions: Dax_Fame

Phantasia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Got a quick question, which I don't know if there's an answer posted already.
With this on my switch, can I safely leave wifi on and don't worry about updates? Or ?

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a quick question, which I don't know if there's an answer posted already.
With this on my switch, can I safely leave wifi on and don't worry about updates? Or ?

If my understanding is correct, when you run this application and have it remove the identifiable data from your console, no Nintendo server will communicate with it. Therefor, it's safe to say that you don't need to worry about updates.

Reactions: Phantasia

Phantasia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That has been my understanding as well. Basically nintendo can't track down exactly what console it is and therefore deliver content to it.
I'm talking about only running incognito and have it remove the data from the console. No 90dns, nor flight mode. Just plain and simple setting it online with wireless and forget.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That has been my understanding as well. Basically nintendo can't track down exactly what console it is and therefore deliver content to it.
I'm talking about only running incognito and have it remove the data from the console. No 90dns, nor flight mode. Just plain and simple setting it online with wireless and forget.

That's exactly what this is for. You can just run incognito by itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: